Generic Draxxin

Help Support CattleToday:

What do you use to treat sick cattle? Even with a good vaccination program you're going to see some pneumonia occasionally.
I actually don't have maybe 1 calf per.100 get mildly sick. I watch.them very close and at the first sign of anything I give Excede. But that's so rare that the date always runs out before it's used.

May I ask why so many of you are using Draxin? Are these farm cattle your using it on? I get market cattle probably 25 times a year and have never bought Draxin. But I am serious about my vaccine program the moment they are unloaded in my barn. Inforce 3 and Presponse are given to everything as they come in and Inforce 3 is given to every calf born on the farm and again when weaned with Presponse then also.
My go-to for pneumonia is Resflor Gold and I usually treat foot rot, pinkeye & anaplasmosis with LA300. But if I have to work a calf in the pasture by roping & snubbing it to the grill on the Polaris, I'm not messing with multiple injections. And I almost always use Draxxin if I have to treat a bull; 3-6cc per 100 lbs on a 2000+ lb animal is a LOT of injection sites.

99.9 % of the Draxxin here is simply for pinkeye... and use in the dart gun. A one shot deal....
I use LA300 when they are coming through the chute most all the time for pinkeye unless it is real bad and then will use Draxxin. Had one case of foot rot and took a syringe of LA300 and squirted it in between the toes and on the foot because he was going to butcher and did not want drugs in the meat.... We buy a fair number too and have only had one group get some pneumonia type symptoms here and treated them quick; but used LA on them too. We will use some terramycin granules in the feed if we have to treat a group... but haven't done that since last year....
We seldom get much respiratory problems..... guess we are lucky. But the Draxxin is the best and fastest for pinkeye and is much easier to use in the darts. It will sit for 10 months of the year... had the last 100 ml bottle for nearly 3 years.... Pinkeye hit with a vengeance this year and had a couple nearly blind and they have very small spots in their eyes now. It will sit in the fridge again......

Is it okay to refrigerate Draxxin? I can't find anything on the label other than to not exceed 25C. I guess if you are getting it to last for 3 yrs refrigerating it isn't too harmful.

Is Penicillin worth having around anymore? A few years ago if I had a calf showing respiratory problems Penicillin would get them better. The next bottle I bought it seemed to not work as good.

Is it okay to refrigerate Draxxin? I can't find anything on the label other than to not exceed 25C. I guess if you are getting it to last for 3 yrs refrigerating it isn't too harmful.

Refrigerating is fine.

Is Penicillin worth having around anymore? A few years ago if I had a calf showing respiratory problems Penicillin would get them better. The next bottle I bought it seemed to not work as good.
Penicillin has its uses, but I wouldn't rely on it for respiratory cases. Too many strains of respiratory are resistant to it.

Penicillin has its uses, but I wouldn't rely on it for respiratory cases. Too many strains of respiratory are resistant to it.
Last time I used penicillin was for a vile retained placenta and the vet gave the initial dose then instructed me to re-treat every other day at twice the labeled recommendation. The cow pulled through, bred back & was fine, but seems like an excessive amount of shots when there are so many other options. That said, it was probably 9 years ago, that particular vet is now semi retired, and the other 2 vets that focus primarily on large animals have never treated with or suggested penicillin (at least for my herd). My last bottle expired. What would you use it for?

Last time I used penicillin was for a vile retained placenta and the vet gave the initial dose then instructed me to re-treat every other day at twice the labeled recommendation. The cow pulled through, bred back & was fine, but seems like an excessive amount of shots when there are so many other options. That said, it was probably 9 years ago, that particular vet is now semi retired, and the other 2 vets that focus primarily on large animals have never treated with or suggested penicillin (at least for my herd). My last bottle expired. What would you use it for?
I still recommend it for nasty cases of peritonitis and dirty c-sections, but generally only in dairy cattle. Giving a cow shots twice a day for a week or more isn't so onerous when you're milking her at least twice a day, and antibiotic options are really limited in lactating dairy cows. I don't think tetracyclines work as well in those cases. Sulfas can't legally be used extralabel. Polyflex gets quite expensive if you need prolonged treatment. Excede/Excenel can't legally be used for longer than the labeled duration, and Draxxin/Baytril/Nuflor etc. are all prohibited.

Latest posts