General opinions about temperatures?

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
I the weather is dry with just a skift of snow on the ground and the temperatures are running upper 20's to maybe lower 30's for highs. The lows are in the low to mid teens at night. It's supposed to stay this way for bout 14 days. I my opinion this is not idea calving weather but, it's not to bad either as it's froze and dry. I'd rather have this as warm and slop. I just thought it would be interesting to hear all the different opinions about this weather example from all the different regions. Ready set GO! have fun! :pop: B&G

From the coast in Texas...

This current cold snap wasn't bad. Mostly dry and had the heaviest frost of the winter this morning. Lows in the mid 30s, with highs reaching the 60s. Week before we had beautiful sunshine and temps from 60s to 70s.

Beats the tar out of what we had mid-January with 40s and ground saturated; almost got the RTV stuck multiple times checking on calves.

B&G going through the same start calving this coming Monday 23 feb and should end around 4 Mar hoping for a couple good days in that stretch.

We had one get pneumonia today and it doesn't look good for it. What I think hurts them the most especially the new calves is when it goes from 60s to 20s over night. That happened to this calf it was born to 50-60 degrees then the next day it didn't get over 40 and then there was an ice storm. I believe that hurts them worst then them coming out in 20-30 degree weather and it staying in the 20s-30s.

theres a difference between cold and EXTREME cold.. I prefer they not calf in snow or extreme temps like we have been seeing and they also do not look good with missing ears either.

Big difference in cold, and wet and cold. Ice hanging on those newborns just can't be good.

I think if you wouldn't go outside in your boxer shorts soaking wet and Lay down for a while then you should not be calving yet.

I'll certainly think about holding the Bull from my spring cows a little longer this year. Hasn't been this cold here in three decades.

fitz":nsubiogq said:
I'll certainly think about holding the Bull from my spring cows a little longer this year. Hasn't been this cold here in three decades.

Why do you think I moved up here to get away from this nonsense and its followed me.

The crazy temps have gotten a couple of our calves today. We had one that we just up and found one dead that was about a week old today and we have another that has pneumonia and we don't think it's going to make it. We've had an ice storm and snow the last 3 days. It was 60 on Saturday and now it's suppose to get 19 tonight. This dang Arkansas weather! I'm guessing the one we found dead either froze or got pneumonia as well. It's momma was a crazy one and kept it hid from us all the time so we couldn't keep a good eye on it.

I wish I had been calving for the last 2 weeks.. pretty dry, occasional frost, but mostly in the 40's. Today was cooler, warm in the sun, but only about 35 in the shade. I'm expecting one before the end of the month, and the rest start on Mar 10th.

We've never had a problem with calves getting pneumonia here, but we've had the cows get an atypical pneumonia in the heat of the summer.

We turned our bull out a few weeks earlier last year. We have had 3 and should have 12 more in the next few weeks. Next year we will go back to June 1st turn out with the exception of a 2 or 3 earlier for calves for the kids to take to the county fair.

Dale L":15gyh536 said:
We turned our bull out a few weeks earlier last year. We have had 3 and should have 12 more in the next few weeks. Next year we will go back to June 1st turn out with the exception of a 2 or 3 earlier for calves for the kids to take to the county fair.

Yep, I hear ya! I always try and A.I. my heifers in April so they will breed back and fall in line with the rest of the spring cows. Then I have to deal with the garbage weather. Oh well, it is what it is. B&G

Been calving heifers for 3 weeks now. Yesterday windchill was -23. They all calve in enclosed barn, stay there for 2 days then get kicked out into the yard where they have access to a calf shelter with some straw. This morning a couple 2 week old calves were outside the shelter jumping around and playing. Actual temp was -2. Rather have cold than mud, that's for sure.

As tempting as it is to keep the calves in the barn during less than ideal weather, we have learned that the best thing for those little buggers is to get them outside, fresh air, sunshine and a little exercise works wonders.

AllForage":1czyea3h said:
I think if you wouldn't go outside in your boxer shorts soaking wet and Lay down for a while then you should not be calving yet.

There's not too many nights in a year here where I would want to lay outside, wet in my undies. Maybe I should switch to muskox. How is the muskox market these days anyways? Kinda cute when they're little anyways.

http://www.adn.com/sites/default/files/ ... k=v1a8Qs1o

sim.-ang.king":3v02k0mx said:
Give me a frozen pasture, over a warm dirty barn any day.

I might agree, but calving can takeplace among the first dandelions.

Cold and dry or warm and dry - I don't care, as long as it's dry (cold here means light frost).

Wet is no end of trouble, the fewer rain days through the first three weeks of calving the better, as long as we get enough to keep the grass growing. Mud = wasted feed, weak calves, mastitis, milk fever and misery for all concerned, no adequate shelter here for very inclement weather.
Snow; I have seen falling twice in the last ten years. One of those was during calving & I was finding new calves dead in it. Set of twins, couldn't say if it was the cold or if they were born dead.
Calve here as early as possible in spring as we get dry after Christmas (midsummer)which can effectively end the milk production season if it's severe.

Latest posts