General Health Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

TGCJ7

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to cattle so bare with me.
1#. I've got a heifer calf that I really like and want to keep; problem is she sometimes wheezes when she breathes. The thing is she's been doing this all summer, she eats good, she's growing pretty good. She's now growing a really nice winter coat. So basically she otherwise seems really healthy. I've got some vision 20/20 that I'll vaccinate her with in a few weeks (I'm waiting for the cow's to calf).
Is this something I should worry about? Should I hit her with some antibiotic as a precautionary measure?

#2. I've got a steer yearling that doesn't like grain. When the cows come up for a grain treat he just stands back and watches. If he does eat grain he's acts pretty dainty about it. Again, he's always been like that, its not new. He is also growing real well especially since its cooled down around here.

Theyre pobably fine but I figure if something is wrong with them I'd better get it figured out before they get cold or wet. I don't want a dead one.

Thanks
Tim

Doesn't sound like anything to worry about. As long as they are eating and not acting sick; drooping ears, running noses, off feed; they are fine.
Now that heifer might have had a case of pnuemonia, just guessing here, and she suffered some damage to her lungs. Now remember I am guessing here.
We had pasturella pnumonia and we have some cows that wheeze too. They are fine.

Latest posts