General "Cow" questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Bill Elliott

Reaction score
I currently have 5 Angus bred-back cows, actually one is a Brangus. They were bred with a registered Limosine Bull from next door. This is the second time I have used this bull and all off-spring have been healthy. I only kept one, from the Brangus, and she is now 10 months old. She is a big, good looking healthy calf, stands as tall as any of older Angus cows. I plan to keep her as a replacement for my oldest Angus cow which is 8 years old.

Sooo this brings me to my first question: How old should she be when I breed her for the first time? I've been told that you want them to be at least 2 years old when they calve for the first time. Is this a good rule of thumb?

My second question deals with a "calving season". My first round I brought the bull in with the cows for 86 days and then removed. The second time around, I brought the bull in with the cows two months after the last calf was born. This worked OK but think I'm not getting the "most" from the cows. Should I buy a good bull and just keep him with the cows all the time or continue to borrow a bull?

Tons more questions but will not be greedy. Thanks in advance for any help. Hope I explained the situation so you have enough information. all the best...Bill

Sorry Bill I'm sure you get it a lot, but whenever I see your name a loudspeaker goes off in my head saying ...

"....Awesome Bill from Dawsonville!!!"

Hope you get answers for your questions....welcome aboard!

Michele

Well if your happy with the borrowed bulls calves why buy one and feed it year round and have to seperate him. i strongly believe in a calving season but what about the borrowed bull does his owner have a calving season that would conflect with yours? i breed my heifers at about 14 mo. i put the bull in around the middle of may.for spring calves

Bill, as for the heifer, breeding at 14 to 15 months old should be okay, she'll calve as a 2 yr old. By the sounds of her, she should be plenty big enough by 14 to 15 months old.
As for a "calving season", that's up to you and what fits your way of doing things, ALACOWMAN makes a good point.
Welcome.

Katherine

unless your 8 year old angus cow has some sort of flaw to justify culling her, she should be in the prime of her life. is there something wrong wtih her?

My neighbor has a fairly big operation...at least to me...about 50 pairs of all types and a big Limousin bull to service. I put a gate along our fence line and just walk the bull over. He recently sold all his cattle and going to "sit out" for a couple of years. My neighbor on the other side has a registered Angus bull and said I could use any time. I have great neighbors. Although I'm thinking about buying a bull and keeping full time, my current situation is pretty good and I'm grateful to my neighbors.

And yes....I get a lot of "Awesome Bill from Dawsonville"...but that's fine....he's sort of retired now....I've moved on to Biffle..I think...who ever my kids tell me....never thought I would be talking about NASCAR!!!

Thanks for the advice...always need it. All the best..Bill

Beefy,

I was told that the typical cow would produce for about 10 years. My "older" angus is 8 now and due in April timeframe...will breed her this spring for 07 delivery. She'll be pushing 10+ by then...if I've been mis-informed...great...she is a good cow! Thanks....Bill

Bill Elliott":qk8veb53 said:
I only kept one, from the Brangus, and she is now 10 months old. She is a big, good looking healthy calf, stands as tall as any of older Angus cows. I plan to keep her as a replacement for my oldest Angus cow which is 8 years old.

Sooo this brings me to my first question: How old should she be when I breed her for the first time? I've been told that you want them to be at least 2 years old when they calve for the first time. Is this a good rule of thumb?

Sometimes an example is best. Take a look at this calf, Bill...

telcn311jan.jpg

(I know, I know, they're holsteins, LOL...)

The cow on the right weighs about 1400-1500lbs, perhaps a little more. The heifer calf on the left is one that cow raised for me last spring - DOB 1/20/05. So she's not even a yearling in this picture. Sure she's standing in the foreground a little, but not that much. She's at least 900lbs, might be 1000. Big enough to breed? you bet. I had her checked, she's cycling, everything's good to go, and she's running with a bull right now.

So...in my book, that "breed to calve at two" rule doesn't always apply. Not when the heifer is this big!

Bill Elliott":agvat9h2 said:
Beefy,

I was told that the typical cow would produce for about 10 years. My "older" angus is 8 now and due in April timeframe...will breed her this spring for 07 delivery. She'll be pushing 10+ by then...if I've been mis-informed...great...she is a good cow! Thanks....Bill

I'm not Beefy, but I believe you have been mis-informed. We have several cows that are going to be 13+ come calving season and are still going strong! Just a little tidbit to brighten your day. :)

Hey Bill...welcome, our o'l Boss Cow voted for Bill Clinton...the first time around and will probably vote for Hillary. She drops a big healthy calf every March and is due on the 03/09. She has room and board on this farm as long as she keeps up the production.
Sounds like you have the best bull deal around, I would give my neighbor all the thanks hat I could...just cacluate the feed alone for a mature bull and it's worth a few dinners and a bottle of high quality hooch.
We calve in March up here due mainly to the weather though some folks grow fall calves. Our pastures are toast by late July and we don't get rain to speak of until Oct. so if it isn't irrigated you are feeding hay.
DMc

Susie David":3vhna5sj said:
Hey Bill...welcome, our o'l Boss Cow voted for Bill Clinton...the first time around and will probably vote for Hillary.
If there was ever a cow that needed shootin'......

Texan":1yp3d208 said:
Susie David":1yp3d208 said:
Hey Bill...welcome, our o'l Boss Cow voted for Bill Clinton...the first time around and will probably vote for Hillary.
I would shoot her if she were to come around here. Actually I may go find her and shoot her. She's a no good cow if there ever was one.

la4angus":2xpqojsd said:
Texan":2xpqojsd said:
Susie David":2xpqojsd said:
I would shoot her if she were to come around here. Actually I may go find her and shoot her. She's a no good cow if there ever was one.

I can picture this cow now. Prolly looks like Hillary with those "BIG HEALTHY CALVES". :shock:

Hey Bill, there is a thread here somewhere that some of us were talking about 20 year cows. I culled one last year at 20 that gave me 18 calves. Don't cull her until she quits being able to maintain good body condition would be my advice. Why rick replacing her with some unknown. Most of my culls are based on body condition recovery rather than age. Hope this helps.

:lol: We keep em around as long as they deliver a healthy
viable calf and are able to raise it and stay in pretty good flesh.
We just took 2 to the sale barn last week ( granny cow and
one eye cow). Both were really OLD. :roll: Didnt bring much, either. Cheaper than the dead wagon or a hole! :p

Thanks to all....I'll keep her...she was my "first" cow when I started this adventure...and I mean adventure...learning something every hour of every day!

Anybody got any thoughts on feeding out a young bull. I have one that is now 9 months old...I didn't cut him or let's say I couldn't cut him so now I have one little bull and one steer. Like I said I'm new at this and learning each day...we'll leave it at that.

I was wondering if I could feed this bull out when he gets to about 12/13 months. I would donate the beef to the local food bank...do you think it would be any good?

Thanks and all the best....Bill

Keep him out of the cows and feed him out like you do the steer and, IMO, you won't be able to tell the difference once they're hanging. Just remember, if he get's a chance he will solve your problems with deciding on a herd bull. Also, if you keep him where he can see the cows, he will spend a lot of the time he should be eating "mooning" over the girls.

Lee

it would be a lot better without nuts.

a few things to keep in mind Bill.
Not all cattlemen know what they are talking about, they just like to talk. experience is the best teacher.
If you raise cattle according to the books, you better be rich.

Beefy...all....I know I should have de-nutted him but didn't...new at this...learning all the time! I have one steer that is one year old and this little bull...I don't want to keep the bull. I would imagine putting the steer and bull in the feed lot together might cause problems...yes? I don't know...
I've been told that you shouldn't just have one animal in the lot...won't eat...no competition for food...any truth?
Let me see....that's about 4 or 5 questions down....about a thousand to go....! Cheers and all the best....Bill

Cattle do better when there is a companion. It may be from food competition or just from having a buddy. The bull and steer will probably get along ok after a period of bullying (pun intended) as they establish a pecking order.

dun

Latest posts