gene star tests

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I got the new CRI/Genex Genetic Management Guide (sire catalog) in the mail today. They are now including the results of genestar test for marbling and tenderness on some of the bulls. Will this affect the bulls you use in your AI system?

pat

pat b":2yzzjfly said:
I got the new CRI/Genex Genetic Management Guide (sire catalog) in the mail today. They are now including the results of genestar test for marbling and tenderness on some of the bulls. Will this affect the bulls you use in your AI system?

pat

I don't know if it will affect our breeding decisions. Our criteria for bulls has been, performance, muscle, and marbling (in that order). We've been using Neutron 377 and am glad to see he's two star for tenderness. His EPDs have always been about average for marbling and that's confirmed by the one star for marbling. I wonder about 5175. We'll have several calves by him this year. Since he's dead they might not have been able or interested in testing him. I hope ABS will provide the same info. I'm also interested in the FAA (or FFA?) marker. It apparently identifies bulls that will settle more cows than others. Now that's something that can really affect the bottom line.

Hi Frankie

I look at the genex catalog and they have several sons of 5175 listed. If mendel's law holds true then 5175 has a maximum of 1 marbling marker and minimum of 1 tenderness gene. Some of the highest marbling bulls listed in the catalog do not have a marbling marker. I think there is a lot research needing to be done before you can use DNA test for trait selection. I am interested in the marker test that MARC discovered and is it more in line with the Ultrasound epds? I am still trying to figure out how to get ultrasound done econimicaly here in Maine. The nearest CUP teck is WV.

pat