Gender of a overdue calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I have been told and found it to be true in my experience that if a mare is overdue the foal is most likely a colt, early it's most likely a filly. Is this true for cows?

Thanks,
Alan

Alan":a100zzh5 said:
I have been told and found it to be true in my experience that if a mare is overdue the foal is most likely a colt, early it's most likely a filly. Is this true for cows?

Thanks,
Alan
Supposedly it is. But we've had early bulls and late heifers

Late calves are usually bulls, but the latest one I ever had (15 days) was a heifer.

Most of the "Old Sayings" are true. I have heard, and found through experience that it is true of mares. I have never heard anyone say it about cattle. I will have to look back in my calving records, and see if there is a pattern.

It is definately true about cattle - on average. They never let us say anything difinitively - they will always make a liar out of us. Like Knersie's 15 day late heifer - I have also had heifers that late!

Jeanne - Simme Valley":enaach3t said:
It is definately true about cattle - on average. They never let us say anything difinitively - they will always make a liar out of us. Like Knersie's 15 day late heifer - I have also had heifers that late!
Our first bull calf this year was 12 days early and our last heifer was 9 days late. To me it;s one of those ROT that has a smattering of data to support it, but it's in the same category as a SWAG

dun":qv10gq47 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":qv10gq47 said:
Our first bull calf this year was 12 days early and our last heifer was 9 days late. To me it;s one of those ROT that has a smattering of data to support it, but it's in the same category as a SWAG

Okay, help the dumb hick out;

ROT= ?
SWAG= ?

Help me out with ROT and SWAG as well

First off, what do you consider a "normal" gestation time... I found 288 days to be my herd average. I find that the mothers play a big role in gestation times.. and that they do pass it on to their daughters to an extent as well. I have a couple bloodlines that I start looking at from day 280, and another line that I can be pretty certain nothing will happen until 290. I can say that on average, bull calves are gestated about 3 days more. The longest gestation I've recorded is 296, several times now, and each time it was a bull. Though I have had heifers calves born at 295. The age of the cow also affects how long she carries (IMHO), Heifer cows usually being about 3 days earlier than when they mature.
Also, the appearance of the cow (big, round, puddingbutt, udder) has nothing to do with the calf being overdue or not... I figured that out this year waiting on my heifer who looked 2 weeks overdue, but was on the day

Up until last year I would have argued that EVERY overdue calf will be a bull, cow proved me wrong and had a heifer 2 weeks overdue. As stated above 50% chance of either a bull or heifer.... ;-)

Latest posts