Gen. Robert E. Lee' s statute is coming down today

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent> With 6 generations of Virginia Lee's (not R E) in my veins I can appreciate some peoples sense of admiration and loyalty
to the General. As much as some would like to tout his military prowess I would tell anyone after Gettysburg that his
eventual defeat was a foregone conclusion. Had he been the tactician some have proclaimed him to be he would have
gone hell bent for Washington DC and taken the capital and possibly Lincoln and a good share of Congress captive.
A percentage of what was lost with Pickett's brigade would have been enough to slow or delay Union forces until
he acquired Washington.

After Gettysburg he was basically in a defensive, counter attack situation with little hope of foreign intervention and
a lack of industrial capability to supply an army in the field. That he was loved by family and friends as well as
comrade en armes speaks to his human qualities. I do not recall that he took defeat lightly nor do I recall him
as one to blame a George Bush or Donald Trump unlike some of the questionable leadership we are saddled with
today. I have little doubt, Robert Edward Lee the man will outlive the statute and deservedly so as he is required
to justify himself to none but the Living God. Respectfully Lee VanRoss

I am not for removing the statue. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

I do tire of the "you guys vs. us" mentality 150+ years later. I don't like the mindset of those who still blame their problems on slavery either.

I can speak on this subject because I come from a part of the country that was and is very divided between North and South. My 5th grade required reading Across Five Aprils happened two counties north of me. A few miles west was Fort Shipley, a Southern sympathizer encampment. We are considered to be part of the Upland South. I love regional pride, I have my share (Southern Illinoisans are extremely proud of our unofficial state). Let's all move on.

Last edited:
It's a divisive subject all the way around. I am not for removing the statues, as it does represent a time period in our nation's history. The way I see it they are a reminder of where we were and how far the division got. At the same time I can understand how those statues and other items would be offensive to some. Depending on your view of history, and perhaps even more so current views those statues can bring about a lot of differing sentiments.
Commemorating the work of Martin Luther King Jr. is not in comparable context.
If it is historical, it is a target.

At the 59 minute mark it is removed and will be cut into 3 pieces.

Last edited:
Why not move it an hour and a half up the road to the American Civil War Musuem. Surely he would be relevant there. A complete disgrace from a piece of crap trying to make up for getting caught being racist.
Oh haven't you heard, it's not racists to do Black face.

Wonder what the cost of removal of the statue was?
Several millions of debt will be added to our state tax responsibility. The guy on the left with his face blacked next to a KKK person was in attendance and enjoyed every minute of the take down.

5c5af3a33d505.image.jpg

Last edited:
Good does not mean hero. Hero does not mean good. First you pick a cause and then you do whatever you have to do to make it happen. Talk about using somebody as a pawn - it's poster boy George. The real George - they could care less and would not want him anywhere around them. He's more valuable to the cause dead than alive.

Several millions of debt will be added to our state tax responsibility. The guy on the left with his face blacked next to a KKK person was in attendance and enjoyed every minute of the take down.

5c5af3a33d505.image.jpg
But that is in no way Racism. Of course not. For anyone that might not know who that is, it's our governor that ordered the Robert E. Lee statue taken down.

Seems odd that someone felt they had the authority to remove something that has been there for that period of time.

I hope someone does not get the idea to remove the Statue of Liberty.
Gov black face got a bill or law passed after the dems got control of both houses, basically saying that things evolve and that they needed to "get with the times" and get rid of all monuments and rememberances of the Civil war... and that no one should be "glorified" for their part in the war.... so how are they going to justify the "Patriots" that fought against the British in the Revolutionary war.....????

He's more valuable to the cause dead than alive.
Minnesota settlements
George Floyd 46
Record 27 million plus 500k for neighborhood enhancement

Justine Damond 40 shot by police after she called 911
20 million, family donated 2 million to a local gun violence charity
(must have worked because George Floyd wasn't shot) :)

Philando Castile 32 shot during traffic stop, aftermath live streamed
3 million to family plus 800k to Diamond Reynolds
Either Philando got gypt (he was shot while cooperating) or the others got overpaid

Last edited:

Latest posts