Geldings behaviour

Help Support CattleToday:

pushpendra

Reaction score
I have a 7 year gelding and one mare and a filly. All stay at one place. The gelding is new at my place, but one thing i noticed is after he entered my farm my young filly came in heat and even she wanted to go to the gelding and on the other hand the gelding was behaving as if he was a stallion and screamed all the time. My elder mare is hopefully 4 months pregnant for the first time. Should I keep her seperte from the gelding or will it be ok if all stay togather in a common paddock free and even can I tie th pregnant mare aside the gelding. Will she repeat if he is around. Please give advices. :?:

It sounds like your gelding may have been castrated later in life and, as a result, retained his stud behaviour. Is he able to extend his penis? Is he trying to actively breed your filly? Depending on his actions, and when you acquired this horse, I believe I would contact the previous owners and find out exactly when he was castrated. In the meantime, I believe I would seperate my hopefully bred mare to make sure he didn't cause a problem. On another note, I would also be aware that, if he was castrated later in life, he will probably present unanticipated challenges while being handled, as well as ridden, and do what I could to be prepared for them.

yes he was castrated maybe when he was around three years, he is not able to erect his penis and even does not try to mount on the filly, but does those intial teasing like sniffing etc. untill the mare gets angry. Mainly he is screaming on her sight and I expect a gelding to stay calm. In riding he is a nice horse and is not aggressive like those stallions normally are. Ok I shall keep him away from the doubtfull preganant mare. With his previous owner he used to live with a thoroug mare who used to come in heat regularly so maybe he has created a habit of going to mares due to that, is that possible of this behaviour ?

pushpendra":2envqnor said:
In riding he is a nice horse and is not aggressive like those stallions normally are.

You might be surprised at how aggressive he can become given the right set of circumstances!

Ok I shall keep him away from the doubtfull preganant mare. With his previous owner he used to live with a thoroug mare who used to come in heat regularly so maybe he has created a habit of going to mares due to that, is that possible of this behaviour ?

I doubt it's a created behaviour due to his herdmates - it's difficult to create a behaviour when there is no drive behind it. He is acting like a stud because he was castrated after the stud behaviour developed, and castration will not reverse that.

Latest posts