gelbviehs cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

since i have been on this board i have heard a lot of people saying they think a lot of them i have not seen many around here so fill me in on them. are they a tuff breed of cattle. any info is a great help.

> since i have been on this board i
> have heard a lot of people saying
> they think a lot of them i have
> not seen many around here so fill
> me in on them. are they a tuff
> breed of cattle. any info is a
> great help.

Gelbvieh cattle offer many advantages including:

1. good dispositions 2. excellent mothers with good milk production 3. grow quickly 4. lean, muscular carcasses

> they don't grade well.

I agree.

There is no breed that does it all. That is why commercial producers need to be crossbreeding. Gelbviehs cross very well with Angus, and the Gelbvieh/Angus cross female makes a wonderful cow.

> I agree.

> There is no breed that does it
> all. That is why commercial
> producers need to be
> crossbreeding. Gelbviehs cross
> very well with Angus, and the
> Gelbvieh/Angus cross female makes
> a wonderful cow.

Indian: You stated they "grow quickly" "lean and muscular carcasses", but is the fat marbled? We raise Texas Longhorns and I can't keep up with the demand for our beef. We pride ourselves on the leaness and flavor of our beef. I am considering buying a couple of Gelbviehs heifers to cross with with Longhorns. I know of a lady in Kansas that is doing this. The idea is to get more growth while retaining the leaness and flavor.

[email protected]

The "don;t grade well" comment needs some clarification. They don;t "quality grade particularly well", the ratio of lean to fat is too high to be considered very well marbled. The do Marble but not like the british breeds. They "Yield grade" very well, because ofthe muscle to fat relationship. F1 Gelbvieh and british are excellent mother cows, but they are more often "select" then choice grade. But using those F1s bred to an angus make excllent feeder steers, relatively high yield grade, and the majority will make middle to high choice. The key, as in any crossbreeding program is starting with quality animals that have the properties you are looking for in the end result.

dun

> Indian: You stated they "grow
> quickly" "lean and
> muscular carcasses", but is
> the fat marbled? We raise Texas
> Longhorns and I can't keep up with
> the demand for our beef. We pride
> ourselves on the leaness and
> flavor of our beef. I am
> considering buying a couple of
> Gelbviehs heifers to cross with
> with Longhorns. I know of a lady
> in Kansas that is doing this. The
> idea is to get more growth while
> retaining the leaness and flavor.

> Indian: You stated they "grow
> quickly" "lean and
> muscular carcasses", but is
> the fat marbled? We raise Texas
> Longhorns and I can't keep up with
> the demand for our beef. We pride
> ourselves on the leaness and
> flavor of our beef. I am
> considering buying a couple of
> Gelbviehs heifers to cross with
> with Longhorns. I know of a lady
> in Kansas that is doing this. The
> idea is to get more growth while
> retaining the leaness and flavor.

dun did a nice job explaining the carcass characteristics of Gelbviehs so nothing else needs to be said there.

Regarding the eating characteristics of Gelbvieh, people really seem to like our Gelbvieh beef. We raise Gelbviehs to sell as replacement females and bulls, however we sell the bottom end of our calf crop as freezer beef. Our customers constantly comment on the leanness of the beef. We have a steady group of customers that call us whenever there freezer is getting low.

One local family bought 4-H calves from us for years. Their last child finished with 4-H last year and the father is still buying steer calves from us to feed out because they like the Gelbvieh beef so much.

Now, that being said, the MARC data shows that Gelbvieh beef is not as tender as most British breeds and even some Continental breeds. However, we are able to correct this by having our carcasses hang for 14 days prior to cutting.

Latest posts