Gelbvieh x Santa Gertrudis Cross Herd

Help Support CattleToday:

jangothecattledog

Reaction score
Hi,

Need some advice on 6-8 pairs I am looking at. They are 7-8 year old Gelbvieh x Santa Gertrudis crossed.( 6 are Black) ( 2 are white)
Very long /tall/lean cows with nice calves from a registered Gelbvieh bull. I am thinking of keeping 2-3 of the heifer calves and selling the bull calves @ 500#s + .
I have a registered Angus bull that throws stout calves and wanted to breed the 8 cows back and keep heifers off that cross as my keeper herd.
I currently have another 10 pairs of angus/brangus commercial pairs and one registered anugus.
Is the Santa Gertrudis going to penalize me on the sale of the 1 st calves from this purchase?
Are the ears going to "hang" around on the Angus cross? The older farmer has had this herd for about 20 years started with Brahman x Angus then Gelbvieh bulls and added the Santa Gertrudis for height.
Thoughts ???????? Or should I stay with the angus look and look for pairs with the smaller ear. I may have to sale barn some calves and not sure how the ear will affect this?

I am new so excuse my ignorance.

Blessings,
VH

that cross will work real good for you in your part of the country.an the ear wont hurt them.

bigbull338":14jq9fhe said:
that cross will work real good for you in your part of the country.an the ear wont hurt them.
It will as far as the markets concerned, if they show more then around a 1/4 ear

alacattleman":1l9ovvwf said:
bigbull338":1l9ovvwf said:
It will as far as the markets concerned, if they show more then around a 1/4 ear
A Gert X Gelbvieh would have 3/16 Brahman influence (less than 1/4). There should be no problems selling the calves. The females would make excellent mothers.

A Gert X Gelbvieh would have 3/16 Brahman influence (less than 1/4). There should be no problems selling the calves. The females would make excellent mothers.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly!

Only one little question; why would two of them be white? (I know there are black gelbs)

BC":1b26m7jf said:
alacattleman":1b26m7jf said:
bigbull338":1b26m7jf said:
A Gert X Gelbvieh would have 3/16 Brahman influence (less than 1/4). There should be no problems selling the calves. The females would make excellent mothers.
that's right..but my area has been docking heavy on eared calves the last few years. in fact the stockyard here have gotten to where they list brahmanX beside the prices on the market reports

Latest posts