Gelbvieh x Jersey steer

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I picked up the meat from the processor yesterday. It looked great :D I went ahead and threw a couple of T-bones on the grill, cooked the med-rare with a tad bit of char. I think I have struck gold! That steak would have rivaled one of the elite steakhouse cuts :banana:
This steer came out of my Jersey nurse cow and my Gelbvieh bull. He weighed 1,144 lbs at hauling. He railed at 688 lbs. I grained him while he was still on grass with plain cracked corn. He got roughly 15 lbs of corn per day for 55 days while he was a on fescue / clover pasture with clover being mixed in heavily.

I have slaughtered several other breeds and crosses but this one is the best I have had. I only grain fed my last Gelb x Jersey for 30 days and the meat tasted good but the fat tasted gamey. Evidently that extra 25 days of grain made the difference.

Hard to beat a jersey crossed with a good beef bull. I have eaten and marketed plenty out of our house cows.

Taurus":t6u722sy said:
Where's the pictures of Jersey X steer?
beef-steak-t-bone-steak.jpg
:cowboy:

greybeard":225hv47c said:
Was he mean Hoss?

Corn...cracked, whole, or rolled (steam crimped)?

He was a bit on the cranky side. I never turned my back on him.

Just plain old cracked corn from the local CO-OP store.

Piedmontese have the taste of Jersey meat. But it is much leaner and more tender. And....a whole lot more of it. It just has a lot more beefy taste to it.

Jersey beef is what the older people said had the best taste over the grocery store meats.
I think if someone ran a Jersey cross through the sale barn, it would go for little compared to the others, but yet, it would be the better tasting meat. It would be a heck of a buy!!
You got him up to a really good weight being a Jersey cross. You will be eating like a King for a while. You aren't that far from me. I will let you know when I am coming through, so don't eat all the steaks up front! :lol2:

It's a well kept secret that Jersey meat is one of the finer flavored meats out there. Everyone figures those scrawny cows can't be good for anything but dog food, but boy are they wrong!! Fine grained and good flavored, not as stringy as some breeds..

Many times, really thin people who get no exercise have a higher fat content percentage than a hefty person, (not obese) as they have no muscles, and they have more fat inside their tissue than does a stocky person. A lady that runs a diet clinic was telling me how that worked.

Latest posts