Gelbvieh sired calves (attn:bse) lots of pics

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I thought I would post a few pics of some of my commercial Gelbvieh sired calves. Most of ya'll will remember the big bull calf from last year that weaned 833 lbs at 180 days. Well the first 2 pics are of his full sister. She weighed 76 lbs at birth....I am guessing she will go 550 already and she is only 4 months old :shock: All the calves below were born March 26th and 27th.

This one is out of a red angus cow.

Nice bull calf with momma

I love how they perform on just grass and milk.......of course this year we have had exceptional grass.

Hoss, they are looking good. Good livestock. I talked to Double Diamond near Cynthiana KY on Monday about getting a couple black ones. I don't know about bse. He likes his Angus. :D

Commercialfarmer":oycmcovv said:
I keep thinking I need to try some. Things didn't work out this summer, hopefully next.
If you don't mind, what line is your sire out of?
Most of these are out of Atlas 101N. A couple are out of a Balancer bull CMFS6288S McMinnville Anchor a Partisover Anchor 948 son.

inyati13":1xz857ze said:
Hoss, they are looking good. Good livestock. I talked to Double Diamond near Cynthiana KY on Monday about getting a couple black ones. I don't know about bse. He likes his Angus. :D
I think you will really like them once you try them.

As far as bse I will keep :deadhorse: until I find a chink in his armor and the horse comes alive :lol2: :cowboy:

Hoss nice calves, im not sure I could ever do that those are black and im not sure how they survive lol.
Are any of those calves out of PB black Angus?

bse":2hi8ia3d said:
Hoss nice calves, im not sure I could ever do that those are black and im not sure how they survive lol.
Are any of those calves out of PB black Angus?
Some are out of purebred angus cows. A couple of cows in the pics are out of Mitty In Focus. I intend to breed a couple purebred Gelbvieh cows to Vindicator this fall.

Hoss
Very nice pictures. Have you been able consistently to get low to moderate birth weights with your crosses. That seems to be the only thing that would give me pause about Gelbvieh. A lot of folks including my best friend have had to assist them (or at least report that a lot need assisting.)

Thanks

tdarden3k":21rukore said:
Hoss
Very nice pictures. Have you been able consistently to get low to moderate birth weights with your crosses. That seems to be the only thing that would give me pause about Gelbvieh. A lot of folks including my best friend have had to assist them (or at least report that a lot need assisting.)

Thanks
I have had very little issues with birth weights or assisting. I have had to assist 1 heifer in the last 6 years of using Gelbvieh or Balancer bulls. Most of my heifers have been born with low to mid 70 lb birth weights. Bull calves mid 70's to low 80's. I have had one big calf born unassisted that weighed near 100 lbs and it was out of a low BW bull..........but.......he was also 2.5 weeks late from the A.I. date. If born on time he would have probably been in the 80's. Low BW high calving ease bulls are easy to find in the Gelbvieh breed these days. Some of the old timers talk of the days when heavy BW's were common but allot has been done to improve that over the last 20 years. I am sure some of the other Gelbvieh breeders on CT have been around them much longer than I and can chime in with better information.

thommoos":1yyemcef said:
I see you are from Tenn, how do you think a Gelv would do on some Beefmaster cows? Down south of you?
thommoos,

I think it would be a great cross and I have heard of folks having success with it. You would knock some of the ear off from the beefmaster and still have some of that heat tolerance. It should produce a heck of a thick calf. If black sells well in your area I would use a homo-black gelbvieh bull.

Latest posts