Gelbvieh/Shorthorn cross heifer opinion

Help Support CattleToday:

Here she is at 11 months
IMG_0031_filtered.jpg

well, she's the granddaughter of "the ugliest cow Randaliana has ever seen", a few faults are to be expected still!.. Though I do value good posture, etc, I'm getting really tired of dealing with cows with bad udders, bad attitudes, bad hooves, prolapses, and fencebusters.. this one doesn't have any of those problems at least... her mother has had retained placenta a couple times, hope she doesn't.

While i was doing data entry from the hardcopy herd books to computer, I found that the longer the cow lived, the less offspring we kept from her... Josie (this one's grandmother) we kept 2, and we have 2 granddaughters, for a total of 4, and she lived to have 14 calves.. Another cow, Lucy, we only kept one from, and in other threads you will see Maddy, which is her great grand daughter, well Lucy lived to have 16 calves... (both of these cows were completely trouble free). Instead, we have kept a total of 25 direct and indirect offspring from 2 other cows who only lived to 5 and 8 respectively, and have had to do much too much culling for hooves, udders and prolapse problems... I think it's a high price to pay for an extra 50-100 lbs of calf at the end of a season... Gah.. I'm ranting.. sorry

Well, she's finally a year old, and I took her out for a stroll and a few pictures.. she was more interested in greenery than posing for a picture properly, and it's also the middle of shedding season here, but here's a couple pictures anyhow, I figure she's about 950 lbs... look about right to you?

IMG_6368.jpg

IMG_6371.jpg

Here she is with the "chairman of the board" Maddy, who you may remember from the year before
IMG_6416.jpg

She's a very nice heifer. Looks like you have a winning combination there. BTW she leads better than my dog.

She still looks really great, and I love that you've halter broken her. Congrats on such a lovely girl. We have a couple that I'm really proud of as well. I wish we could fast forward though and see just how productive they'll really be. By the time you know for sure so much has already gone into them.

She comes from a long line of halter broke girls, so it's nearly becoming a genetic trait lol... however, greenery around made her a bit impatient and I was never able to get a picture of her standing in a proper position... In my calving season thread for this year I posted the vid of her brother being born at 140 lbs, and despite I'm not doing any 4Hing, I'm going to train him a little bit, and maybe at the sale barn there'll be someone looking for a 4H candidate... he's already wearing a halter as well, and is about 230 lbs at 1 month, and mild tempered

I really wish I was able to fast forward as well, Time flies for everything except waiting to see how a cow will turn out... I have another calf from this line I'm looking at keeping this year, I don't know if she'll be a big cow, as her mother isn't, but she's got a really sleek fur, fine legs, and a great dark red color.. her brothers were all really big and well conformed, I'm hoping for the same for her... they also eat relatively little for the weight they gain

I was giving her a petting yesterday when I thought of a new nickname for her.. "The Michelin Cow"... she's fat and has lots of extra rolls of hide

I have 2 larger bells, one fits a yearling heifer nicely, the other fits a cow, and then I have a smaller bell that works well on a calf.

Nesikep, you've put an idea into my head with those bells. My brother lives at the farm and his bedroom is right by the lane the heifers walk through at least twice a day, so I'm thinking a little payback is in order. :lol2:

I am not at all disturbed by the sound of the bells... when you have a bunch of them grazing with bells on it is like music... it has it's rhythm

Well, according to the weigh tape, she should be 1225 lbs at 17 months now, she's doing pretty well.. Unless I get a really good picture before then, watch for her in my future "calving season 2012" thread

again, going by the tape, her full brother is 730 at 6 months.. I'm keeping him as a feeder steer, he's big, fat and lazy, which is perfect!

Nesikep":2sqplfqa said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/Rx7man/Moo/IMG_6740.jpg
IMG_6740.jpg

Not show related, but that certainly is beautiful scenery where you are! When does it turn white?

Oh, and nice looking heifer too! ;-)