Gelbvieh roll call

Help Support CattleToday:

cowwrangler":36omumos said:
i have a few registered cows along with a few reg angus to make balancers,mostly commercial,raise a few bulls for sale,most are for my use though, i am in south dakota

Good to hear from you Danny. Thought we lost ya for a while there. :lol2: Bet you're cold today?

I don't own any Gelbvieh yet but if I have my way the next bull for the family's heard will be a Gelbvieh. West Tn

some good breeders that way and in Arkansas, southern Missouri also. seedstock plus selling early feb in tenn.

3waycross":2uxx4q6r said:
cowwrangler":2uxx4q6r said:
i have a few registered cows along with a few reg angus to make balancers,mostly commercial,raise a few bulls for sale,most are for my use though, i am in south dakota

Good to hear from you Danny. Thought we lost ya for a while there. :lol2: Bet you're cold today?

lol yea little chilly today ,might have to break out the long johns, -23 it says right now,- 50 something windchill

Ok. I have a friend looking to get some Gelbvieh crossed heifers. His herd is primarily angus and heavily influenced angus cows. He is looking to buy a Balancer to use on his cows and retain some heifers. The bull he is looking at is 3/8 Gelbvieh and he is wondering if the calves out of him would have enough Gelbvieh influence to help anything. I am thinking that is a little low. The way I see it his heifers would end up at only 3/16 Gelbvieh. And then the resulting calves would have to be bred back to a Gelbvieh or Balancer to get the results he is looking for. He was talking about having Balancer cows and then using a different breed for a bull for a terminal cross in the future. What do you more experienced guys and gals think. Would their be enough Gelbvieh influence to show results in this program?

Dale L":ma62b0p1 said:
Ok. I have a friend looking to get some Gelbvieh crossed heifers. His herd is primarily angus and heavily influenced angus cows. He is looking to buy a Balancer to use on his cows and retain some heifers. The bull he is looking at is 3/8 Gelbvieh and he is wondering if the calves out of him would have enough Gelbvieh influence to help anything. I am thinking that is a little low. The way I see it his heifers would end up at only 3/16 Gelbvieh. And then the resulting calves would have to be bred back to a Gelbvieh or Balancer to get the results he is looking for. He was talking about having Balancer cows and then using a different breed for a bull for a terminal cross in the future. What do you more experienced guys and gals think. Would their be enough Gelbvieh influence to show results in this program?

There probably won't be enuf heterosis in those calves to spit at.. He would be bett off to buy a GV bull and then his calves would be 1/2 GV and if he wanted to add a third breed the heterosis factor would be much higher.
FWIW he could also go back on those heifer with a Balancer bull and maintain the 1/2 breed status easily.

We use a Hereford or Red Angus bull on our half Gelbvieh cows. Calves are really good and wean heavy. If we keep any 1/4 Gelbvieh heifers we breed them back either Red Angus or Simmenthal and those calves really shine.

if he looks at a 75% gelbvieh or a 50-50 balancers I think he would see the influence and then come back with a angus or PB gelbvieh bull. it would give him plenty of mix and match room in the future. if it was me I would go PB Gelbvieh bull first keep good heifers and go back with a angus bull in 2 years.

I have had (almost) all the breeds :nod: and I ran a Balancer clean up bull the last two years. I AI Herf or BA to get wf F1s for a while and then turn him in. Calves are thick and have some muscle. BA neighbors think I am pouring the creep to them but it is grass and genes. My biggest calves at weanling this year were AI Herf x Simi influenced cows, but I think Simi or GV bull on a wf cow is the total profit package for this country.

I'm located in South Central Mo. on the Ar. State Line.Been raising my own replacement Heifers for over 25 years.
during that time i have bought Bulls. from Wesson Charolais,Steelman Brangus,Bub Ranch,Heart of Ozark Angus Ass.,Spruetels Farms,Flying H Genetics and Seed Stock Plus. So my cattle have a touch of Charolais,Brangus,Red Angus,Angus and Gelbvieh.With the higher % being Angus,Red Angus and Gelbvieh. I use Balancer Bulls to keep my
% between 33% to 50% Gelbvieh if possible.I like what the Gelbvieh offers on the material side of the cow.Plus i like the unifrom calves you get in these cattle.I try to use all the information i can get like EPD'S,DNA,Frame Score,
and Ect.I Want all the information i can get on a Bull.That is why i buy from the Breeders that i do or from a Breeder that can supply me that information.

Located in southern Alberta.
We bought 6 Gelbvieh's as bred cows last year. They impressed us with their purebred calves, enough that we bought 14 heifer calves from the same place last fall. The older cows should start dropping Shorthorn cross calves in a few weeks, we'll see how those turn out. We'll probably be breeding the Gelbvieh heifer calves Shorthorn as well.
The purebreds can put a little too much into their calves, they came off of the native grassland skinny with fat calves. They're in really good shape now, swath grazing oat greenfeed.

Ken,sounds like you got the real deal. Gelbvieh momma's can and will raise a calf good luck wit the cross, and yes those northern gelbvieh's are a little larger then we have this way.

Just bought my fourth gelbvieh bull this winter. First gel. daughters will calf this spring and I am very excited to see the cows they become. Love their disposition. Hope they don't disappoint me. I am in north central North Dakota.

Had a GV bull for 5 years, and just got rid of him.. I think he was the best bull we ever had, we have about 12 daughters of his.. will certainly go back to GV at some point

We primarily raise Purebred Gelbvieh. Also have a few Balancers and a herd of commercial cattle.
Springflood Ranch located in Southwest Mo.

This is the one we had... we got more for him at 7 years old than we paid at 2 years old.

IMG_7278-crop.jpg

Here is a link to the bull I bought. There is only one pictured but they look similar. Dark red. Stout. THICK.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=90472&start=15
Using these bulls over two groups of 30 cows at different farms. Keeping all of their march born daughters and planning to completely overhaul the herd to be a lot of balancers.
Canton, MO

EDIT: Page 1, I linked to page 2.