Gelbvieh pair. Opinions please

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross

Reaction score
I just bought this Gelbvieh pair the cow is a 6 yr old. Her heifer calf was born in Feb, which sadly enuf cost her a little ear. The cow is a Flying H bred cow and so is the calf.

DSCF0030_edited.jpg

DSCF0031_edited.jpg

DSCF0023_edited.jpg

I like em a lot but of course they are not perfect. The cow is bred back to my Angus bull who is a son of LCC New Standard.

BARNSCOOP":33b1g2al said:
I like the heifer as well. I like her rear end but oddly her dam doesn't seem to have the same conformation?

I agree Barnscoop. But I got them for what I thought the heifer is worth and whether or not she looks it the cow produces it. I have a couple of bulls in mind that I want to AI her to and see what she can throw with them.

The value in a cow is the calf she produces. And in the end product, the burger she produces as a culled cow. She is doing great.

BARNSCOOP":3n64r25t said:
3waycross,

How do you know it's her who put out the good heifers and not the bull she was bred too?

I have no doubt the bull played his part, but genetically the calf is half her mother and she sure is raising her well.

I have no gelbvieh experience, but the calf is very well muscled, so much so that I am wondering whether it isn't too well muscled for a heifer?

IMG_0819_edited.jpg

IMG_0809_edited.jpg

Here he is. Somewhere I have another pic of him at the NWSS, if I can find it I will post it.

As you can see he is pretty wild and hard to work with. Sorry about the ugly fella in the pic but that is the only head on picture I have. They were taken about a year ago right now and he had been on pasture for several weeks at that time

Hey, 3 way!

I wouldn't knock the momma very much! She obviously has raised one heck of a calf, and if she had the weight on her that she would have if not nursing that knock-out calf, she would look completely different! I will grant that she needs a little more "beefiness' in her phenotype, but 'production' is what a breeder is all about, and she is a producer! She is why Gelbvieh is making an impact in the "Beef crossbreeding" programs.

- - -and I would certainly consider keeping that calf! GREAT hindquarter muscling and well balanced throughout.

DOC HARRIS

I agree Doc the calf is the end result that really matters . I really like the bull from what I can see, a side view would be nice to see the back end of him.
3Way do spoil all your bulls like this... :lol:

hillsdown":3ddc20xq said:
I agree Doc the calf is the end result that really matters . I really like the bull from what I can see, a side view would be nice to see the back end of him.
3Way do spoil all your bulls like this... :lol:

HD---He belongs to a friend of mine and is VERY spoiled. Like I said somewhere I have a pic from the NWSS it is a side view, not the best but OK

KNERSIE":1jpuozy5 said:
BARNSCOOP":1jpuozy5 said:
3waycross,

How do you know it's her who put out the good heifers and not the bull she was bred too?

I have no doubt the bull played his part, but genetically the calf is half her mother and she sure is raising her well.

I have no gelbvieh experience, but the calf is very well muscled, so much so that I am wondering whether it isn't too well muscled for a heifer?

Well I hope not. Cuz she just keeps getting bigger. Here she is today(the other pic is a month old). the red heifer next to her is also pure GV but almost 2 months younger and she isn't hurtin for a caboose either. Honestly Knersie one of the main reasons I got into the GV's is they do have muscle. It's what I like on an animal and life's too short to raise something a fella doesn't like.
DSCF0056_edited.jpg

Here's one more from today. Too me , at least, she still retains her feminity. If she was coarse with that much muscle I would not keep her for a replacement. Also If you look at the bull I posted tonight I believe he will compliment her a lot.
DSCF0057_edited.jpg

I agree she doesn't look overcooked on the muscle in the recent pics. Sold a few weanling heifers to a friend last year and one of them was built very musch like your heifer in the younger pics. At preg checking time she was the only open one in his herd. She was quite young when he turned the bull in, but still.

KNERSIE":t8mpdarh said:
I agree she doesn't look overcooked on the muscle in the recent pics. Sold a few weanling heifers to a friend last year and one of them was built very musch like your heifer in the younger pics. At preg checking time she was the only open one in his herd. She was quite young when he turned the bull in, but still.

Funny you would say that. When I was taking these pics yesterday I noticed that she was bulling. That's the other reason I like GV's they are sure enuf fertile

Latest posts