Gelbvieh or Limousin

Help Support CattleToday:

alright, I'm gunna be me and just tell you she's too tall. Other than that I wish I had about 200 pairs like her!!

She's really only about 6.5 and passes the arm pit test. But she is so wide and deep, not as long as I would like, but she raises a super calf, holds condition and breeds back. Works for me.

dun

That would be a great cow... when the market goes down let me know what you want for her. I was just going on the looks of her length to judge the height. I was tryin not to judge off the calf because god knows what size it really is. 68-75 pounds?

Jake":1a50acyu said:
That would be a great cow... when the market goes down let me know what you want for her. I was just going on the looks of her length to judge the height. I was tryin not to judge off the calf because god knows what size it really is. 68-75 pounds?

I'm still trying to recover all of that data, (computer crash) but I think she was 72. I'll know better in a couple of days. But she has grown like a weed and is probably closer to 600 now.

This was about a month ago
amelia.jpg

some nice conformation on that heifer. I think she ought to be a keeper by the looks of her now. What bull is she out of?

Jake":tcjl7m9m said:
some nice conformation on that heifer. I think she ought to be a keeper by the looks of her now. What bull is she out of?

She is a potential replacement. Sired by Glacier Nyack 688.

dun

OK,

here are some comments from a Limousin Producer

For breeders who work towards producing females that milk well, but not too much, go to the breeders ranch looks at his/her managment scheme, look at females in production/lactating, look at udder structure, capacity, and current body condition and the4 condition and age of the calves they are raising

Educate yourself on each breeder, don't listen to a bunch of folks with opinions, find out the facts, look and see for your self what reality is,

A bull buyer of mine comes back because he knows I cut their head off if they look at me crossways, if you can not go out and walk about the herd and bulls with out getting run over that is not a breeder you want to buy from, they are NOT doing it right, if you want to start a dairy get heavy milkers, if not get females who can raise a healthy calf and maintain their body condition

Yep in the past there have been some rank Limousin, and I know there have been rank cattle of every breed, it is not just a Limousin thing, select against bad temperament and you end up with a buch of quiet cattle

Michelle your right about the breeder, the problem is every breed gets tagged with something. Limos' Brahmans are attitude Herefords are cancer eye and pink eye, never had a case of either. Some of the most gentle cattle I ever owned were Brahman. Now I have seen some crazy Brahmans. I am confident that you raise a very high quality gentle Limos. The problem is the breeder that doesn't I never take my eye off my neighbors Limo's in the pen.

" not as long as I would like "
dun

That's been one of the things I've noticed about the Gelbviehs as a breed. Seems like they have a tendency to become boxy.

Guess like the Limo breeders working on temperment and milk, the Gelv breeders will need to focus on body length in their breeding programs. Overall I prefer the Gelvs over Limos, but that's just me.

Take care.

Finally recovered the cow data. The heifer calf was 73 lbs BW 2-24, weighed 306 4-27

dun

This is the cows first calf at 14 months on the feedlot. Sired by the same bull as the heifer.

subway.jpg

I don't have Limo's, but, I know that there are not a lot of Limo ranches in Texas. I have seen heifers that were show heifers that have had heat related problems when that have been put out in the pasture. Don't know that much about the Gelvbs.