Gelbvieh heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

ANAZAZI":1esau7i4 said:
3waycross":1esau7i4 said:
I don't disagree with using your own home raised bulls but sometimes you need or want to make a change that cannot be accomplished with in house genetics. Or at least not in a very timely manner.

What kind of change?

I guess a good example would be that I am working towards a HB and HP herd. The bull I kept this year I know to be hetero blk. I will use nothing but HB AI bulls on the cows I intend to AI to take steps to implement my plan. I also have a couple of heifers that I need to breed and the calving ease on my bull is breed avg plus he is a 1/2 brother to one of the heifers. I do not breed that close.

I also use AI to determine what kind of genetics a given cow family will nick with the best. I also have a loose linebreeding program that I am working on and there are sons of a certain bull out there that bring some traits to the table that I want in my herd.

That is my program and my breeding plan Anazazi. If you don't like it that's fine I neither need nor want your approval. If you are looking for a fight or a deep philosophical discussion on lineeding vs outcrossing I suggest you look elsewhere.

3waycross":2kjnh9jy said:
ANAZAZI":2kjnh9jy said:
3waycross":2kjnh9jy said:
I don't disagree with using your own home raised bulls but sometimes you need or want to make a change that cannot be accomplished with in house genetics. Or at least not in a very timely manner.

What kind of change?

I guess a good example would be that I am working towards a HB and HP herd. The bull I kept this year I know to be hetero blk. I will use nothing but HB AI bulls on the cows I intend to AI to take steps to implement my plan. I also have a couple of heifers that I need to breed and the calving ease on my bull is breed avg plus he is a 1/2 brother to one of the heifers. I do not breed that close.

I also use AI to determine what kind of genetics a given cow family will nick with the best. I also have a loose linebreeding program that I am working on and there are sons of a certain bull out there that bring some traits to the table that I want in my herd.

That is my program and my breeding plan Anazazi. If you don't like it that's fine I neither need nor want your approval. If you are looking for a fight or a deep philosophical discussion on lineeding vs outcrossing I suggest you look elsewhere.

A good answer, basically using bulls homozygous to those two traits will get your herd there faster than heterozygous bulls.
I shall emediately relocate any fighting or deep philosophical discussion. :tiphat:

Nice heifer! Have you tried rubbing her with a grill brick to get the curly dead hair out? It always worked well for us for our Angus heifers.

Thanks everyone! I was PM'd a really good idea to remove all that dead red hair so I just need hubby to build me the tool.

Bequest and my Pure Power heifer are standing heat right now so I will AI them tomorrow morning. I am probably selling them and for some reason the buyers love to hear that the sire is done by a straw, it is what it is. No matter how good your own bulls are, in the show circuit here they want an AI sire or your own bull had better have won at a big show previously. I said I would never get involved in this side of things yet here I am. I guess I like to learn my lessons the hard way. :dunce:

Latest posts