Gelbvieh heat resistant cross breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Mallen23

Reaction score
I received a questionaire from the American Gelbvieh association the other day. One of the questions is should the organization start developing a "registered" hybrid that is heat resistant (similar to the way the Balancer came about).

I recommended Gelbvieh X Brangus. "Heatmaster?" :oops:

What are your comments or suggestions on this issue?

I know I might get pounced on for this, but here we go...

Gelbvieh X Longhorn

Longhorns are very heat tolerant, in fact they can survive in nearly any weather they are put in, from Brazil to Canada. Longhorns have low birth weights, they are excellent mothers, and will eat just about anything. If you use the right longhorn females and bulls you could get some excellent offspring.

Just a thought.

Ryan

Gelbvieh x brangus will not be tick or resistant to heat, waist of time. the only combo you could have would be Gelbvieh x brahman, Gelbvieh x Nelore , Gelbvieh x Senepol. With no more then 60% Gelbvieh 40% Brah/Sene/Nelore.

They already have Gelbvieh x Brahman (Gelbray). They must be talking about crossing Gelbvieh and Senepol. The one I would like to see them try is Gelbvieh x Braford or Gelbvieh x F1 Tigerstripe (50:50 Hereford/Brahman). Gelbvieh x Santa Gertrudis would also be interesting. Maybe try all of the above in some sort of trials and pick the best of the bunch....but that would involve actual research.

And the Adam's Ranch has already incorporated Gelbveigh into their A-Beef composite cattle. Frankly, I think Gelbveigh need a lot of help when it comes to heat tolerance and living off the land. About the sorriest purebreds I've seen in Florida.