Gelbvieh Fall Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross

Reaction score
My partner in Missouri, Double V, has been snapping some pics of the first real sampling of bull calves out of our Vanguard bull. As always there are some I like better than others but overall I am very impressed with what he is producing out of his registered Gelbvieh cows. To be fair Vince has a real strong cowherd and has produced some top selling bulls at the Seedstock Plus sales , So in no particular order and without a lot of info here's the boys.

DAD

I think at one time, someone, told me this..... :lol2:

Do whatever floats your boat lady just do not look for validation from people who know what good cattle look like.

----------------------------------> and i'm a guru now

We are happy with the calves for sure. The bull in question here is the last son of Benett Kingpin that was bred by Paul Bennett. Vince and I took a chance on him to some extent because he was a little smaller than his 1/2 brother that sold the same day. We paid what seemed to be a heckova lot of money at the time for him. In retrospect he looks like a bargain to me. We made a decision to get at least two calf crops on the ground out of him before we had him collected. Based on what he has thrown for Vince and me, we will get him collected this fall. Still not sure what semen company we are going to try to sell thru.
Believe me when I say selling semen is no big money maker. We will probably never show much of a profit but producing something as good as this on a long shot purchase is a good feeling.

BTW it turned out that his 1/2 brother did not pass the parentage test for Kingpin, and we weren't out the $10,000 that someone else paid for him. Not knocking the bull he is a dandy, he just isn't out of Kingpin.

One last thing. I need to give credit where credit is due. Vince found this bull, all I did was be smart enuf to agree with him and throw in some money.

I like that bull he sure looks like a meat wagon :cboy: i have this thing about researching pedigrees to see lines of breeding, I noticed he is line bred Miss Virginian on the top and bottom. Was and is the Miss Virginian (Virginian) line a good line, that line seem to be mixed in with a lot of breeding.

thommoos":m5ooz4sk said:
I like that bull he sure looks like a meat wagon :cboy: i have this thing about researching pedigrees to see lines of breeding, I noticed he is line bred Miss Virginian on the top and bottom. Was and is the Miss Virginian (Virginian) line a good line, that line seem to be mixed in with a lot of breeding.

I wish I had a smart answer for you but I don't. We bought him on the strength of two things. He was out of Kingpin and his dam had been in Paul's herd for many years. Sorry three things. His EPD's were as balanced as a GV bull comes with real good calving ease numbers. We also considered that his FS would help us both downsize some of our larger GV cows. In fact he seems to be producing some real nice middle of the road calves(for size) out of most anything he has been bred to.

Frankly that was all I needed to know. I am definitely line breeding to the Kingpin bull myself. The two heifers I purchased from Warner's last spring are both grand daughters.

Truth be told he is far from a perfect bull but he is an excellent ingredient and that's how we are using him.

I should clarify something. We didn't buy this calf totally sight unseen. We had several pictures from Paul that showed both his strengths and his weaknesses.
One thing I haven't mentioned about Tim(short for Tiny Tim) he has what I consider the perfect disposition for a bull. He has a decent flight zone and as much as he likes cake he is never pushy. He also doesn't come around wanting his azz scratched. I have a dog for that. I want my bull to walk away from me not towards me.

Gators Rule":3qk12e5q said:
Daddy is turning into a tank! Looks like he might be able to pass that along to his babies too

Thanks. They sure seem to have a lot of thickness. His heifers have that thickness and still retain their femininity. I will post some pics of my calves in a couple of weeks. Vince has some heifers that are gorgeous out of him.

cow pollinater":27t4nqxd said:
What is his registration number? He might be a fit for me.

AMGV 1204728. BTW he is very moderate framed. Probably a 5 or maybe 5+

Dylan Biggs":3hrh1s9e said:
I like the red bull from a replacement standpoint, just a guess of course. I like his look, slicked off nicely also.

I agree! I think he will make some real nice dtrs.