Gelbvieh cows are more efficient.

Help Support CattleToday:

I will try to get the pic of the topline and butt in this calf up , he is a flashy calf but the cold wether has tipped his ears a little. he is exactly why i have gone Gv. , Good steers and great cows.
This little guy is only a couple of weeks old but already commercial cattlemen who were looking for bulls at my place who have seen him are impressed. I sold his sire to one such guy. Good calves the proof is in the pudding.

I sure would likr to see him standing. He looks like he has lots of bone from this pic. Whats with the blaze? Is there a Semi in the woodpile?

What about this bull - WVR Weaver Lester 27L? I know the numbers will more than likely go down, but look at that huge ribeye. From the limited pictures that I have seen looks phenotypically impressive as well.

I have a photo i have been trying post it is up on my photo gallery. it is a view from the top it show his width across the top and you can see his front legs better . He isn't fine boned but not coarse either. For me about right for me. His dam is 1/2 GV - Sired by a VCR 22J son whose dam is a mitchell buckaneer daughter and her dam was a fullblood fleck simmintal. The calfs sire is a son of Kickapoo Juan out of a Goldstar 4W cow. So the calf is 1/4 Fleck simm. Stats - he's is a first calf out of a heifer , bw 90 lbs, unassisted birth. I have some 75% cows of the same breeding and they are solid colored that white just came out . Will make a hell of a steer. If you want to see the pic it is in the photo gallery and use my username.

Saw your photo gallery pics.... here is nice and wide across the top. Hope the nipped ears dont prevent him from being sellected for a 4-h steer.

The cold and wind got the tips but think it won't hurt him that bad, i will take himout as prospect steer. To give you some idea of the width across the top Across the hips is 25 cm, he is going to have a big hip and is fuzzy right now, hair is 1" to 1 1/2" long already. So he going to have the hair and meat, he has the flash too he has 2 white sox and white tipped tail in addition to that blaze. I think it will be good promotion for me and the breed to take him out. So people can see what a Gv cross steer can do. I have done the prospect thing before and have won with calves not near as good this early in their life. But that is a long time off and alot can change by then but if he keeps coming i think i will open some eyes to GV steers.

lgfarms":nf5xaxb4 said:
What about this bull - WVR Weaver Lester 27L? I know the numbers will more than likely go down, but look at that huge ribeye. From the limited pictures that I have seen looks phenotypically impressive as well.

Sorry, I have not seen any progeny out of him either. Looks like he might work well on some moderate cows.

I saw the ELG Garth ad for semen sales in the US it said double polled , black and from what i have seen these semen dealers use what they can to sell semen. When i see double polled it means hetero polled. if he was homo polled they would say so. As far as black if he was homo black they also would say that too. So from the ad i saw he is hetero polled and hetero black just like BOO BOO.

skcatlman,

I agree with you. Many of these semen marketers will hide any traits that they think will be detrimental to sales.

For example, I was told by one of the distributors of SLC Freedom semen that his frame score was last measured at 7.4 (this has been a few years ago) yet this same distributor's catalog still showed his yearling frame score which I believe was 6.8.

It also cracks me up how guys will promote that there isn't a horned animal in a young bull's 4 generation pedigree. They fail to disclose that the sire and maternal grand sire are both hetero polled, thus giving this young bull a fairly high probability of having the horned gene.

It is all about money for these semen distributors. The saying that i follow with them is - buyer beware. just look at the disclaimer when you buy semen. I have little confidence in them . I have seen so much crap from the semen demons. I have had a horned red calf from a Homo blabk , homo polled sire from the US. I did a dna test and it matched this sire. It is a good animal so i kept it and registered it. When i showed all this to the semen distributor, all i got was Homo means 99,9 % so it can happen, too bad. Not that i really care a good animal is good and i won't cull for non important traits to me. But the semen dealers are masters of half truths you have to ask all the questions up front and even then you might not get the truth. I just look at one catalogue up here i won't say which one but they do not list what club sires are carriers for PHA or TH. You have to look it up your self. A friend of my has kids who want to try these clubby sires but it has been explained if they are carriers they are not to be used. why not advertize the carriers so you can sell semen on these animal. That is how these genetic flaws carry on. deception.

I have seen them jump the gun on the homo polled but I have not seen them get the homo black part wrong. What was the bull?

Latest posts