Gelbvieh CE EPD's

Help Support CattleToday:

WisRose

Reaction score
Would a Gelbvieh be a good bull to use on a blk baldy? Are they easy calving? What is a good CE number? The 6 bulls that I have to pick from have 100, 107, 103, 109, 105, 112 as CE EPD's. This cow needs a calving ease bull. Does it make a difference(performance wise) in what color the bull is, red or black? Thanks for the help!

WisRose":1osc892o said:
Would a Gelbvieh be a good bull to use on a blk baldy? Are they easy calving? What is a good CE number? The 6 bulls that I have to pick from have 100, 107, 103, 109, 105, 112 as CE EPD's. This cow needs a calving ease bull. Does it make a difference(performance wise) in what color the bull is, red or black? Thanks for the help!

Gelbviehs cross very well with baldies. The resulting progeny make great calves to feed out due the quick, efficient growth, and the calves will typically be leaner than straight baldy calves. The resulting heifer calves often make excellent replacement females.

In general I would say that Gelbviehs are not an easy calving breed, however I would also not classify the breed as a hard calving breed. There are several Gelbvieh bulls that are proven to be easy calving. The average calving ease EPD for Gelbvieh bulls is 103, however if you are looking for calving ease I would probably want a minimum of 108 out of a proven bull (a bull with a CE EPD accuracy of at least .7).

Though some of the old timers may still tell you that if you truly want a performance or muscular Gelbvieh you need to use a red bull, I don't think that applies anymore. There are plenty of heavy muscled black Gelbviehs who sire calves with excellent performance.

Enjoy your Gelbvieh sired calves...we sure like our's.

WisRose":1ywnnuxq said:
This cow needs a calving ease bull.

WisRose- Is this a heifer or what is the reason you think this cow needs an easy calving bull?

Remember whenever you bring in another breed you get heterosis with the hybrid calf--Sometimes this kicks in before the calf is born and many of the BW epds and calving ease epds go right out the door--the calf may be much larger than you expect.. These epds are developed using cattle of the same breed-- And with the baldy cow you already have one cross- then if you throw a continental breed back on her, I'm not sure I'd be too secure with any CE EPD's

I've even had problems with some of the purebred hereford cows bred back to low birthweight angus bulls- pulled 140+lb calves on occasion.

The cow that I was thinking of breeding to Gelbvieh is the baldy cow pictured in my post "My black baldy cow". She seems a bit small in the back end and does better with a small calf. I've been told that she's too fat maybe that's why. We have assisted her in two of her three births, but nothig too major just an extra tug or two. Would like to keep it easy on her. Her daughter (1/2 blk angus) is a whole nother story. When she calves I swear you could drive a truck out of her. She just lays down and squirts it out! Maybe I should steer clear of Gelbvieh on her, just thought I would try something new.

WisRose- Any time you crossbreed you can get a large calf-- even from an angus bull--- But I think you just named your own (or your cows own) problem-- She may be too fat...
Several years ago I remember reading about a purebred angus breeder(one of Leachmans co-operators) that had fed a bunch of his cows 3rd cutting (high protein)alfalfa hay during the third trimester-- His calves that should have been coming out with 70lb birthweights were in the 90's and 100's.....Actually had fed them too much during the third trimester and everything went into the calf..

I have found the same with heifers-- If they are fat- you have problems..Calve better with a BCS of 4, or 5 or 6 than of 7, 8, or 9.--You can really run into wrecks sometimes if you feed grain to heifers before calving...

A good gelbvieh bull would be an excellent choice on this cow. I breed both purebred gelbvieh and commercial cattle, and my choice would be the great SLC Freedom 178f et bull. He has re wrote the books for our breed, and no other bull in any breed breeds truer to his epds than Freedom. He is proven calving ease, homo polled, short gestation, and solid growth. His sons and daughters have a distiinctive look that you will love.

pm me with any additional questions.

Smoky

Latest posts