Gelbvieh Bulls Which do you prefer and why

Help Support CattleToday:

Are they the same age? I'd take the second one, seems to have better muscle definition and is stouter, the first one seems to have a weak set of front legs... I don't like it when bulls are shown standing knee deep in straw or hay for pictures as it skews your eye a bit... I can't actually see much of the second one's front legs.. but they just look more solid

He even knows how to stand the same way twice :)... There is some discoloration in his fur that is the same in both pictures..

It is the same Bull taken Two hours apart. I couldn't believe how different they look because of lighting, distance, background, and angle. The picture with the hay is representative of the Bull. It was taken up close. The other picture was taken from 50 ft. Zoomed in. He is a 2 year old. It goes to show, the deception you can get from pictures.

JMichal":1mh65q92 said:
It is the same Bull taken Two hours apart. I couldn't believe how different they look because of lighting, distance, background, and angle. The picture with the hay is representative of the Bull. It was taken up close. The other picture was taken from 50 ft. Zoomed in. He is a 2 year old. It goes to show, the deception you can get from pictures.
Wow, great example!
For our Brangus Field Day next month, we have a cattle photographer coming to speak and give us tips on photographing our cattle. I am looking forward to learning!
BTW he looks good! :D

It is a great experiment!, and it goes to show how having 10" of hay makes a bull look better... which is why I don't like it and keep telling myself to not trust my eyes too much when the you can't see the bull's hooves.. I posted a while back about "trick photography in bull flyers".. and it was a whole catalog of bulls that all looked super deep, and then I noticed they were all in a foot of straw and it was throwing my eyes off.

Forty years ago I taught a Seminar on this very same subject - that is - how one's perception can be confused or distorted regarding details and substance of things seen. I titled the course "What You 'See', or "Think" You See is Not Necessarily What You 'Get'. or "Think" You Get!" The Seminar was not concerning Beef Cattle, but was involved in the determination of one's "Eyes" ascertaining the subtle shades of "White" in the fur of Agouti Chinchilla's, determined by at least 15 different genes which dictate shades of "White". The final result of the study conclusively proved to most participants at the Seminar that "subtle" differences in details can be confusing to the reception of images by the brains of viewers - whatever the subject matter may be under discussion or observation.

Bottom line: Don't make important conclusions regarding mating or breeding decisions on just "Pictures" ONLY! The "Rod's" and "Cone's" in the Retina of the eye can and will play tricks on your perceptive abilities! . . . and that is not just concerning "Light" only.

DOC HARRIS

Doc there is a program on TV like that now. I think it is on the Discovery channel and called The Minds Eye. Not positive though, because I just saw a commercial for it. It looked interesting though.

Doc there is a program on TV like that now. I think it is on the Discovery channel and called The Minds Eye. Not positive though, because I just saw a commercial for it. It looked interesting though.-Quote

I believe the name of the show is Brain Games.

Latest posts