Gelbvieh Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Massey135":1qsqrxxn said:
All grass isn't equal.

That is true, but the animal's conformation is not changed by how fat or thin it is. You might want to check out Livestock Judging. You can Google it and it will bring up links about how to judge cattle.

chippie":19932yaw said:
Massey135":19932yaw said:
All grass isn't equal.

That is true, but the animal's conformation is not changed by how fat or thin it is. You might want to check out Livestock Judging. You can Google it and it will bring up links about how to judge cattle.
gutless on grass, equals what you see,, grass fed type cattle need more capacity

I agree, ALA. The bull is plenty fat especially for early Sept. The char bull I'm using now has plenty of capacity. He carries a 91lb bw though.

Chippie, There's nothing structurally wrong w/ the bull. Wastier than I'd like but.. Conditioning covers up a lot of flaws.

Massey135":1bebpyic said:
Chippie, There's nothing structurally wrong w/ the bull. Wastier than I'd like but.. Conditioning covers up a lot of flaws.

Are you serious? Do you even know how to judge a bull's structure? Conditioning does not cover up structural flaws. A straight shoulder remains a straight shoulder, a short hip remains a short hip and a short coupled animal remains a short coupled animal.

ETA: I was referring to your comparing your bull to Hillsdown's

Massey135":r6futmjt said:
IMAG0851-1-1.jpg

IMAG0852-1.jpg

Sired 47 calves. Zero assisted.

IMAG0861-2.jpg

My best commercial cow - grade red Angus - and her red 'Balancer' bull calf.

IMAG0868.jpg

First set of twins I've ever had . Out of a 3yr old Cow.

He's not that bad of a bull. Especially if he's there for calving ease. I don't think i would keep a lot of replacements out of him but you never know. I have seen some pretty sorry bulls throw some real fancy calves. If i am not mistaken he carries a double dose of Cha Michelle, how is his disposition? BTW i saw her in the flush pen at Flying H. She was one fine cow!

Massey135":2rpz84u3 said:
I agree, ALA. The bull is plenty fat especially for early Sept. The char bull I'm using now has plenty of capacity. He carries a 91lb bw though.

And what does that say about you as a breeder or a seller?? :shock:

chippie":38anr6b1 said:
Massey135":38anr6b1 said:

Are you serious? Do you even know how to judge a bull's structure? Conditioning does not cover up structural flaws. A straight shoulder remains a straight shoulder, a short hip remains a short hip and a short coupled animal remains a short coupled animal.

ETA: I was referring to your comparing your bull to Hillsdown's

Not sure in what capacity you are involved in cattle production Chippie, but 99% of commercial cattlemen around here would go cross eyed reading that. They look through a pen of bulls and pick the most conditioned, because as far as they are concerned a "fat" bull will make "fat" calves... :?

they'll tell you that ""fat sells""" ..my last bull was a sitz alliance 6595 son was running in the mountains with two other bulls in fairly poor condition.. but he had the muscle and structure i could plainly see, got some good replacements from him.. ........................... and yes i gave 1500.00 for him :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":j8575qca said:
they'll tell you that ""fat sells""" ..my last bull was a sitz alliance 6595 son was running in the mountains with two other bulls in fairly poor condition.. but he had the muscle and structure i could plainly see, got some good replacements from him.. ........................... and yes i gave 1500.00 for him :cowboy:

You know what your looking at.... A LOT don't.

sim.-ang.king":295xpkan said:
How this one..seem pretty good to me maybe not trait leader but still better then what ya got without losing much on CE and BW and gaining big time on WW YW.
AMGV1185604 CE 110 BW 1.7 WW 67 YW 119
If these are full grown cows you don't need a bull with a minus on BW anything in the middle to lower 1's do just fine on cows.

I just gotta know how you picked that bull out. I owned him for a brief time. Hope he works out at his new home.

Calving ease is not that hard to find in the Gelbvieh breed. We have focused on calving ease without sacrificing growth for years. Here is a picture of one of our bulls on pasture two years ago. Using a red son of his now.

image325.jpg

His son is AGA # 1200958 and has EPDS of
CE 110
BW 1.1
WW 50
YW 93
M 22

CKSGelbvieh":3mo0l67l said:
Calving ease is not that hard to find in the Gelbvieh breed. We have focused on calving ease without sacrificing growth for years. Here is a picture of one of our bulls on pasture two years ago. Using a red son of his now.

image325.jpg

His son is AGA # 1200958 and has EPDS of
CE 110
BW 1.1
WW 50
YW 93
M 22

Nice bull :tiphat: I like the numbers on his son also!

CKSGelbvieh":3vd06www said:
sim.-ang.king":3vd06www said:
How this one..seem pretty good to me maybe not trait leader but still better then what ya got without losing much on CE and BW and gaining big time on WW YW.
AMGV1185604 CE 110 BW 1.7 WW 67 YW 119
If these are full grown cows you don't need a bull with a minus on BW anything in the middle to lower 1's do just fine on cows.

I just gotta know how you picked that bull out. I owned him for a brief time. Hope he works out at his new home.
I just went to AGA website and did a EPD search, and was about the best one I found.
Your other bull looks pretty smashing too!

Latest posts