Gelbvieh Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Massey135":2tcxjy9h said:
Markes runs a grass fed operation. The bull has great numbers for a heifer bull. He served his purpose nicely.
I've seen dairy steers on grass gain more then that. I think you got screwed, and being grass conditioned isn't going to make him a profit maximizer if he doesn't provided any growth to his calves even on grass. Hope you didn't pay more then 1k for him.

I would be talking to 3way about getting one of his pretty balancers. Great on grass from what i've heard
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=78782&hilit=Balancer+Bull+90+days%2F452lbs
:tiphat:

Lol you couldn't give me a crossbred bull. Again, the bull is a lbw heifer bull. I had one goal in mind and that was 100% unassisted calving out of some brangus heifers. They all calved unassisted. On my land, everyone of my calves weaned more than their sire did.

Massey135 said:
Lol you couldn't give me a crossbred bull. Again, the bull is a lbw heifer bull. I had one goal in mind and that was 100% unassisted calving out of some brangus heifers. They all calved unassisted. On my land, everyone of my calves weaned more than their sire did.[/quote]
thats no suprize there...

Plenty of folks on here post sub 540lb ww.

I commented about this when I first posted the bull, that the grass must be terribly weak in that part of Oklahoma ad there were thin bulls standing in belly high grass. The bull prolly gained 100lbs/month once I got him home. Smaller framed and maybe 1750 mature now. His heifer calves were much better than their steer mates.

Massey135":sxes0ifo said:
Taurus":sxes0ifo said:
Thought you were all about maximize the profits?

What profit measure are you referring to? Since that question goes WAY over your head, ill assume you meant Revenue. Here's an equation I learned on the very first day in an Intro Fin class. Profit = revenue less expenses.

Actually that little equation is taught in HS bookkeeping classes.

I'm sure it was when you were in school, TB :lol: In my era of the bs standardized testing, accounting wasn't a high school subject. Single - entry is rarely taught anymore. Nowadays you'll learn double -entry based on the accounting equation.

Massey135":6cw9u3lp said:

I commented about this when I first posted the bull, that the grass must be terribly weak in that part of Oklahoma ad there were thin bulls standing in belly high grass. The bull prolly gained 100lbs/month once I got him home. Smaller framed and maybe 1750 mature now. His heifer calves were much better than their steer mates.
But those people don't go around saying they raise only top grade beef, and they are a notch better then everyone else. Just sayin.
Would like to see a picture of him now.

Massey135":35dk9wzy said:

what kind of grass and time of year was that???

sim.-ang.king":1s3pwsmc said:
Massey135":1s3pwsmc said:

But those people don't go around saying they raise only top grade beef, and they are a notch better then everyone else. Just sayin.
Would like to see a picture of him now.
so what are you trying to imply :cowboy:

The Markes family Farm does run a grass fed operation, and if you want a good bull you have to get them at weaning. When they wean at 7months, those bulls sell for the same price as their 18 month old bulls do. So if you buy an older bull it most likely will be a poor animal.

ALACOWMAN":1hucu2pu said:
Massey135":1hucu2pu said:

what kind of grass and time of year was that???

I don't recall the type they were on in Waukomis. I brought him home in June to coastal.

HC, I picked him out of about 60 bulls, I guess they were all poor animals. There were plenty bulls there I would have preferred over him but none with a 114 ce like he did. 3way spoke pretty highly of his pedigree when I bought him.

WW You can say ok but at least give me some finish. That was a very small ratio from 205 day to yearling. I can see why you would like more performance. But getting back to the post what kind of attitude does he have, temperment and performance are goals this way. Finishing some yearling's now fairly pleased with the way things are going, but the drought really kicked us good.

houstoncutter":29862fg9 said:
While their are some calving ease Gelbviehs, that has not been one of their strong points.
Perhaps that's why so much performance had to be given up to ensure calving ease?

Honestly, the calves have been pretty good. I just think my grown cows can handle a lot more substance than a heifer bull can throw.

It would not have been my choice for heifers. A Limi, would have given you the small calf weight without sacrificing growth. Look in the listing for semen on this board, their is a bull on the recalled Shag Man in the Limi listings. I used this bull on over 150 head of heifers over the years. Never had a calf over 60 lbs. I stiil have semen for use for heifers if I get back in the cattle biz. His offspring always came small and grew like weeds

Please don't judge gelbvieh on just this bull, you don't and won't give up CE or any growth if, yes if you can pick a good genentic match for your cattle. Just remember gelbvieh's are known for mothering milk and muscle. use it :2cents:

How this one..seem pretty good to me maybe not trait leader but still better then what ya got without losing much on CE and BW and gaining big time on WW YW.
AMGV1185604 CE 110 BW 1.7 WW 67 YW 119
If these are full grown cows you don't need a bull with a minus on BW anything in the middle to lower 1's do just fine on cows.

I know this question is after the fact, but here goes..Your heifers were Brangus, why not use a Brangus bull? Finding a easy calving high growth Brangus bull would have been much easier. Granted you might have lost some hybrid kick, but it sounds like in this case you didnt get much hybrid vigor anyway.

Here is a pic of my yearling GV clean up bull. He is in with heifers and 1st calvers(2 year olds) . His is 113 for CE, but we will see in Feb when his calves hit the ground .Btw he has never seen grain either, just hay in winter and pasture grass in the summer. Is he perfect , no ,but I do expect to have a heck of a set of calves out of him next year, especially with this group of females he is paired up with.

296724_4132225340669_285671236_n.jpg

558740_4132227700728_375692418_n.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics but he is really hard to take a pic of as he likes to stay in between the ladies .

Latest posts