Gelbvieh Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

east_tex

Reaction score
Is this a good bull to put with Angus cross cattle? Is the Gelbvieh bull any more likely to get out of the fence than another breed? Any comments appreciated.

east_tex":3kwwcer7 said:
Is this a good bull to put with Angus cross cattle? Is the Gelbvieh bull any more likely to get out of the fence than another breed? Any comments appreciated.
cant be any worse than angus bulls, thats for sure..

Why would one ask this question??? Are gelbvieh's known as escape artist, well not sure if i can answer this but in the past 10 years of owning this breed they stay put at least mind do..

I've got one ill sell you - north of Dallas. Never had to pull a calf nor had to get him back in. Great for a heifer bull, he just doesn't have the performance I'm seeing out of these curly headed white bulls.

Massey135":24dm51or said:
I've got one ill sell you - north of Dallas. Never had to pull a calf nor had to get him back in. Great for a heifer bull, he just doesn't have the performance I'm seeing out of these curly headed white bulls.
Really you have actual cattle?

Taurus":1os0m3m0 said:
Massey135":1os0m3m0 said:
Really you have actual cattle?
He77 no...he's got pictures of cattle. ;-)

i had a really good red gelbvieh bull and he never got out and he made good calves but his heifer calves never turned out to be real good cows i used him on charolais and angus cows that were not the problem and he was like i said suposed to be really good from a good gelbvieh breeder.for angus cows i would rather have a angus or horned hereford bull but that is just me.

TBs right, I've coerced these breed associations into issuing registration papers on imaginary bulls.

I was told they will breed the neighbors cattle too and in the neighbors pasture. Just wasnt sure. Sounds like I may have been misinformed. Thanks for the constructive comments.

east_tex":zfrkgddk said:
I was told they will breed the neighbors cattle too and in the neighbors pasture. Just wasnt sure. Sounds like I may have been misinformed. Thanks for the constructive comments.
any bulls (regardless what breed) will try to breed neighbors cattle if the fence isn't sturdy enough to contains a bull

east_tex":3fwmpco2 said:

Take all generalities about cattle completely out of your train of thought.

Massey135":1pru4ua4 said:
I can understand why your wanting to sell him since he only had a little more then 1.5 ADG as a calf, or did you not check his weights before you bought him?
If this is your bull?
http://search.gelbvieh.org/anisch.aspx

Animal Information
AJM MARKES 239W - AMGV1115744
Tattoo Registration# Name Birthdate
AJM239W AMGV1115744 MARKES 239W February 21 2009
Gelbvieh % PB94 BLD - Sex Male Horn Polled
AI Permit No DNA - Color Black
Breeder
1546 MARKES FAMILY FARMS,WAUKOMIS,OK
Owner
56083 RYAN D CHANDLER,POTTSBORO,TX

EPDS CE
Acc BW
Acc WW
Acc YW
Acc MK
Acc TM GL
Acc CED
Acc SC
Acc ST
Acc CW
Acc RE
Acc MB
Acc DtF
Acc CV FM
0.23 -1.4
0.35 36
0.29 70
0.20 19
0.11 37 -0.7
0.09 106
0.09 0.3
0.06 8
I N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A 7.74
EPD Date: 6/11/2012

Perf WT AdjWT Ratio AID Frame AdjSC AdjPel
BTH 75 80
WNG 540 613 101.6 208
YLG 680 749 373
Ultra RIB FAT REA IMF
Act
Adj
Ratio

Pedigree
AMGV621246 VVFG FLYING H EXCLUSIVE
AMGV850450 EXT GOVENOR 3N
AMGV757350 CHA MICHELL 74L
Sire: AMGV938529 LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR
AMGV660727 NEW DIRECTION 905
AMGV850412 NEW STYLE 47N
AMGV620298 MIDNIGHT GLORIA 103H
AMGV518506 BENNETT HALLMARK E208
AMGV897577 OZZIE 47P
AMGV757350 CHA MICHELL 74L
Dam: AMGV1034247 MARKES 233T
AMGV304890 COWPOKE
AMGV578832 MARKES 316G
AMGV342131 CHRISTIAN'S

Markes runs a grass fed operation. The bull has great numbers for a heifer bull. He served his purpose nicely.

Massey135":zbf2wmrz said:
Markes runs a grass fed operation. The bull has great numbers for a heifer bull. He served his purpose nicely.

That's a nice way to describe someone who sells underfed bulls! and if you want to argue with me look at his ww and yw. That's just plum disgraceful. He could gain that much(140lbs) on a water diet.

He had crap EPD's for growth and Markes made sure he didn 't escede them!

They're not underfed, they're not fed at all. They run on grass and hay only. There's a pretty sizable operation, Pharo, up your way that has done pretty well for themselves subscribing to this philosophy. Ironically, their bulls have similar numbers.

Taurus":1o9cp24v said:
Thought you were all about maximize the profits?

What profit measure are you referring to? Since that question goes WAY over your head, ill assume you meant Revenue. Here's an equation I learned on the very first day in an Intro Fin class. Profit = revenue less expenses.

Well I like the low birth weight, and being run on grass and hay only. Around here that's all they get besides treats. Our last bull was fed and pampered. And when we put him out he looked ruff for the first 6 months. Now he has caught on and is bulling up just fine. The most important thing is he's getting his job done the first time, every time so far. And in
my eyes if your bull doesn't try the fence to get with a hot cow or heifer he ain't much of a bull.

Latest posts