Gelbvieh Bull Genetics

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I need opinions on these two animals. I am going out to look at some young bulls and these links are to the sire and dam. The dam supplied the embryos and the sire is listed below. According to the net the dam brought 14,500 at auction. Unfortunatley at this time I do not have EPD's to share on the young bulls as I have not even looked at them yet. I am mostly looking for opinions on the sire and dam. If you have any knowledge of the blood lines pro or con I would be happy to hear about it.

Excerpt from sale report----

J-Bob Farms Complete Female Dispersal
September 3, 2005

Topping the sale at $14,500 was Lot 49, JBOB 3298K, a homozygous black, homozygous polled female that is a full sibling to JBOB “RC” 2279J ET and JBOB “JR” 3303K. Circle M Farms of McMinnville, Tenn., added this tremendous female to their donor pen.

http://www.gelbvieh.org/search/animalin ... AMGV866825

http://www.gelbvieh.org/search/animalin ... AMGV704862

Neither of them specify homozygous black or homozygous polled. Just something to keep in mind

Good numbers on the sire and dam. I know Atlas was popular a few years ago, but most breeders just quit using him. His calves could be slightly heavy fronted and seemed to have a hard time putting on some guts. Every Gelbvieh breeder has an opinion on CTR Echo. I'd be careful since there's Polled Midnight in the top side of both pedigrees. If the bull looks like anything you should have a good outcross pedigree with decent numbers.

klintdog":3vtwzb47 said:
Good numbers on the sire and dam. I know Atlas was popular a few years ago, but most breeders just quit using him. His calves could be slightly heavy fronted and seemed to have a hard time putting on some guts. Every Gelbvieh breeder has an opinion on CTR Echo. I'd be careful since there's Polled Midnight in the top side of both pedigrees. If the bull looks like anything you should have a good outcross pedigree with decent numbers.

Klint,

What issues have you seen with Polled Midnight? Is there something specific that I should look for?

Thanks.

No real 'issues'. Polled Midnight was one of the very first black polled Gelbvieh bulls that came out, so quite a few pedigrees contain his genetics. The sire and the dam both contain him in the pedigree, so if you breed him to any purebred cattle you'll need to check pedigrees closely.

Would you be able to see the dam of this bull? Echo's can get pretty small framed. I've also heard of some of them having problems with white spots....

The top bull is all growth and it's a Flying H bull and you can't go wrong their, The second bull is a milk machine. I would worry more about the birth weights and what size cows you have. Because Gelbvieh's of this caliber most EPD'S will shine. Both look like good bulls.

double v":33ja5elm said:
The top bull is all growth and it's a Flying H bull and you can't go wrong their, The second bull is a milk machine. I would worry more about the birth weights and what size cows you have. Because Gelbvieh's of this caliber most EPD'S will shine. Both look like good bulls.

double v, I have heard allot about the Flying H genetics during my research. Most has been positive with some saying they are the best in the southeast. The second "bull" you referred to is actually a cow. She is the dam to one of the young bulls I am considering.

my bad i miss read your question, never the less she can pass on some pretty good genes. Sorry for the confusion.

I agree with the statements that the Atlas cattle can be tight gutted. I also agree wholeheartedly with the white spot issue with echo. That being said the echo sired cows i have are second to none in the easy fleshing ranch style cow category. We used a bennett bonus son with great success in the calving ease department, although they can tend to have a little extra leather up front.

Latest posts