Gelbvieh/Balancer Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

novaman, You feel I would be better off with a Balancer instead of Gelbvieh? What would be the reason? Also, most of my calves are sold for freezer beef. So many people ask before buying if my cattle are "angus" because they have been getting "angus hamburgers" at McDonalds. As we all know some of the CAB hamburgers are from cows that are 51% black and not necessarily 100% angus. I have some angus cattle and don't have any problems with them, good mama's, good dispositions, etc. I also have Hereford cattle same as angus, good mama's and dispositions. The only problem I have with either breed is that a straight bred doesn't seem to grow as good as the crossbred. Right now my black baldie calves are about 15-20 pounds heavier at weaning and 50-75 (avg) pounds heavier at slaughter time. Give me your opinion as to Balancer or straight Gelbvieh for Freezer Beef. Do the Gelbvieh marbel as well as angus? I may have just answered my own question. I do feel I need to keep angus in the breeding for just that reason marbeling but I don't know. Would love to hear from anyone that has slaughtered a Gelbvieh to see what they have to say. Thanks, Wayne

wtrapp":3agz5apz said:
novaman, You feel I would be better off with a Balancer instead of Gelbvieh? What would be the reason? Also, most of my calves are sold for freezer beef. So many people ask before buying if my cattle are "angus" because they have been getting "angus hamburgers" at McDonalds. As we all know some of the CAB hamburgers are from cows that are 51% black and not necessarily 100% angus. I have some angus cattle and don't have any problems with them, good mama's, good dispositions, etc. I also have Hereford cattle same as angus, good mama's and dispositions. The only problem I have with either breed is that a straight bred doesn't seem to grow as good as the crossbred. Right now my black baldie calves are about 15-20 pounds heavier at weaning and 50-75 (avg) pounds heavier at slaughter time. Give me your opinion as to Balancer or straight Gelbvieh for Freezer Beef. Do the Gelbvieh marbel as well as angus? I may have just answered my own question. I do feel I need to keep angus in the breeding for just that reason marbeling but I don't know. Would love to hear from anyone that has slaughtered a Gelbvieh to see what they have to say. Thanks, Wayne
The Balancers I use are Red Angus/Gelbvieh but the seed stock guys I buy from also have Angus/Gelbvieh. In your situation I would say you are better off with a Balancers than you are a straight Gelb.

Red Bull Breeder":3502c8j0 said:
Novaman why would use the balancer over the straight Gelbvieh. Seems to me you would get more bang with the fullblood Gelbvieh.
You may be right that you would get more bang with a fullblood. I guess I was basing my comments on the fact he is concerned about marbling. Gelbvieh will add lots of muscle but the marbling likely won't be what it is in an Angus.

Red Bull Breeder":327fyb71 said:
Anybody seen any foot problems with the Gelbviehs? Talked with a guy from Kentucky Last Friday who had been using Gelbvieh and was haveing foot troubles.
Some years ago I used Gelbvieh bulls on Brangus and Braford type cows....They made some of the best replacements I have ever had. I used 3 bulls and all 3 bulls developed foot problems...Their offspring had no problems and the cows they ran had no problems.....So I dont know, but if was a bit weird

The Gelbvieh marbling is the one thing that bothers me in using them. That was part of the criteria that made me select BooBoo. In the spring we'll ultyrasound the replacement heifers and get a good idea if it worked or not.

dun":e8yo2tfd said:
The Gelbvieh marbling is the one thing that bothers me in using them. That was part of the criteria that made me select BooBoo. In the spring we'll ultyrasound the replacement heifers and get a good idea if it worked or not.

If I'm not mistaken the DAR National Gelbvieh bull has real strong marbling numbers as does Benett Ideal 182.

I think if you are selling freezer beef the fullblood will make the total package better. Maybe a little less marbling but more red meat for sure.

Red Bull Breeder":p166wl67 said:
I think if you are selling freezer beef the fullblood will make the total package better. Maybe a little less marbling but more red meat for sure.

Full blood Gv had their problems and boy could they be ugly, but they were a dual purpose breed, dairy and beef, and we all know that most dairy breeds marble better than beef so maybe the marbling would most likley be better with a full blood . I do know I select my AI bulls along with everything for carcass and marbling and most are 4 out of 5 stars that I use.

I am getting my bulls ultra sounded and dna'd this year along with quite a few dams to see just where we stand with marbling. I do know that when I finish one myself they are marbled well and very tender.. :D

I will let everyone in on the data the good and bad in the spring.

If your still looking for bulls in the Tennessee area, this coming spring Seedstock Plus will be having a bull sale. They have a variety of genetics from numerous herds but the bulls are all developed together. They have a handful of sales each year throughout the country. I think there are 2 in missouri and I know they will have one this spring in Tennessee. The Website is www.seedstockplus.com

I looked at a sale catalog for this area. Some great looking GV bulls but most of them had 90 to 105# birth weights...

Is this common with the pure bred GV?

Stocker Steve":s0d61zeh said:
I looked at a sale catalog for this area. Some great looking GV bulls but most of them had 90 to 105# birth weights...

Is this common with the pure bred GV?
No

you guys need to look around there are many good low BW gelbvieh bulls out there. Gelbvieh sires are very diverse and you need to pick the right one for your herd. I have been raising gelbvieh cattle for years and knock on wood haven;t pulled a calf yet out of the sires i have picked, as for the HD comment i agree that their just ok.

Good point. Maybe a little lesss marbling but more red meat. To be honest I'm leaning toward the Balancer just to keep a little tick of angus in there. Thanks for everyone's input and from Middle Tennesse I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas. Take Care, Wayne

Seedstock plus will be selling out your way in the next couple months they will have some good balancer bulls. Check the seedstock plus web page for the date and merry christmas

Latest posts