Gelbvieh/Angus F1s

Help Support CattleToday:

bball

Reaction score
Have a line on some Gelbvieh x B.Angus F1s from a reputable vet in the area. They are bred for spring. Was hoping for input from folks with F1's of this breeding. I'm a terminal operation, so was wondering what would be a good breed of bull to mix with for a quality 3waycross. Any thoughts/ideas welcome. Thanks.

We had Gelbvieh Red Angus F1s before they started calling them Balancers. We rpimarily used Polled Hereford bulls on them. Some of the 3 ways we bred back to gelbvieh, some ot Red Angus and some to Fleckviehs.

Stocker Steve":1qrpv40y said:
cow pollinater":1qrpv40y said:
Hereford over that cross is the best heterosis you can get without bringing in ear. They grow like weeds.

Do you think Herf more frame on than simi?
When we used Herefords instead of Simminthal/Fleckviehgh we got less frame but better quality grade. When we did it we were in a marketing program so we received back the carcass data. All of the Hereford crosses made Sterling Silver so we got a premium over the Simm crosses.

Thanks fellas..that's exactly what I was looking for. I kinda suspected I would need to cross with a British breed to optimize carcass quality.

Appreciate the feedback.

I assume that if you are after carcass "quality" you are referring to quality grade, of which marbling is the primary component.

Not all British breeds are great at marbling and in general don't have as high of carcass quality grades as most other British breeds like Angus, Red Angus, Shorthorn, and South Devon. Now, that being said, just because an animal is an Angus doesn't mean that they automatically have good marbling. There are several lines of Angus cattle that don't marble all that great.

Other breeds and composites to consider if you are serious about carcass quality grades are South Devons, SimAngus, and Braunvieh. Braunviehs may be one of the best kept secrets in the cattle business (and I am not a Braunvieh breeder). They are one of the better marbling continental breeds in general, but like with other breeds, not all Braunviehs are high marbling so you need to pay attention to ultrasound data and EPDs.

Latest posts