gelbvieh ai bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

cleland

Reaction score
Has anyone used any of these Gelbvieh bulls? Ive been considering using them this year, any info good or bad is apprecated.
Atlas,
Rough and Ready
Bennet Landmark
DAR National

Thanks Jeff

I do have alot of Atlas in my heard through Advantage. Like em enough that I bought some more Advantage Semen for my Carolina Fortune Heifers. Goldrush Visa is out of Advantage also and I have some Heifers out of him I will be breeding to Carolina Fortune. Bennett Landmark I've seen on alot of pedigrees. I don't remember it though may have some. I like an old Red one alot KCF Bennett G196. I saw Natural recently would have to look harder.

The only bull i've seen lots of cattle off up here is atlas you just have to watch what you breed him too up here he can seem to leave them a bit narrow if you don't watch what you breed him to. From what i have seen the females are alot better than the males, Not saying he hasn't left some good bulls but just not as consistantly as the females.

Cleland,

We've used a fair amount of Atlas with varied results. He works best on cows with a lot of power. We've only kept one Atlas female and she will have her first calf in March, so I can't comment on how his daughters work.

We've also used some Landmark with mostly good results. He will typically sire cattle with a lot of power. In our limited experience I feel that he works best on cows that are prettier fronted and/or refined. When bred to females that aren't quite as refined, the calves will be a little course and/or have too much leather up front for most of our customers' preferance.

We've had a couple Landmark calves with white on their faces (both times it was a spot or heart shape between the poll and eyes). I know that several of Knoll Crest Farms Landmark cattle have also had some white on their faces.

Jmichal, I'm a little confused by your statement about having Atlas in your herd from Advantage. Atlas is a Cocoa son out of a Premier cow, and Advantage is a Premier son out of a Tom Horn cow. Just curious what you meant.

cleland":8dptly9o said:
Has anyone used any of these Gelbvieh bulls? Ive been considering using them this year, any info good or bad is apprecated.
Atlas,
Rough and Ready
Bennet Landmark
DAR National

Thanks Jeff

I have used Atlas a little calves were ok, nothing outstanding. I have one daughter in production and she is just average. I looked Rough and Ready up, better have some milk cows to use him on, he is a 6 on milk, and no wonder with 2106K, Bronco and Freedom all on the pedigree. I have seen some Landmark calves they were thick and had good growth and were put together nice. I would have probably used him if he here Homo Polled. There were a couple National calves at the Iowa Expo they had some size and length. I am not sure how they sold and did not get a good look at them out of the stalls.

definitley would consider the governor bull, just trying to spread out genetics a little. Any other bull suggestions? What about cricket, and renegade?

I can only think of one person that I know that has used Governor and overall I think they were pleased with his calves, though I never heard that they flat out loved them. His pedigree looks solid.

I try not to read too much into a photo. I've seen too many bulls that look great in the photo but aren't near as impressive in person. I've also seen a couple bulls that looked better than the photo.

I'd encourage you to continue asking other producers who have used him what their opinions are. I've saved a lot of time and money getting insights from other cattle producers that I respect rather than taking leap of faith on a bull I don't know about.

Good Point UG. On the other hand if you ask enough people you will find someone who does not like any bull for one reason or another.
Do you all think the tenderness / carcass DNA testing will harm the breed in the short term. What I mean is, will some breeders be sellecting for star rating and ignoring other important traits similar to when polled or black became popular.

elwapo":1q1qbui0 said:
Do you all think the tenderness / carcass DNA testing will harm the breed in the short term. What I mean is, will some breeders be sellecting for star rating and ignoring other important traits similar to when polled or black became popular.

There will alwasy be people that chase one trait or another. I hope that the majority of the breeders have learned from the previous rabbits that have been chased that they need to look at the bigger picture.

dun

I agree with Dun. There is always a group of breeders who are trying to differentiate themselves by placing way too much emphasis on a certain trait or group of traits. They generally don't succeed (at least for long) with this single trait selection.

Elwapo, good point about someone not liking every bull. I've had poor results with bulls that others would put at the top of list of Gelbvieh and Angus bulls.

UG":18hf8t8q said:
Elwapo, good point about someone not liking every bull. I've had poor results with bulls that others would put at the top of list of Gelbvieh and Angus bulls.

It's kind of like blondes and brunettes. There are a lot of folks that don;t like the kind of cattle we raise, but there area lot of people that I don;t like the type that they raise. Every producer has different requirements and has different priorities.

dun

Single trait selection the surest way to wreck a breed. Why i want descriptions on bulls, because what 1 cattleman thinks is good another thinks is bad. You have to use bulls that work for your customers. If people don't want them why breed them?

cleland":16ifmeqr said:
definitley would consider the governor bull, just trying to spread out genetics a little. Any other bull suggestions? What about cricket, and renegade?

Who carries semen on cricket and renegade? I am not familiar with those. I have considered Governor also. We used his sire, Exclusive some but I like the looks of Governor better. He looks to be thicker and a little more moderate on frame.
As for other suggestions, our Black Hawk has done a super job for us. He is the most consistent bull we have used and his calves have all had great muscle and length. The birthweights are better than his EPD's suggest, ours are averageing about 82 lbs. The ones out of heifers have been 70-75 lbs. His first daughters will calve this fall. He is out of Bronco which does not help out of milk EPD's, but his dam has plenty so he should be much better than his sire in that respect.
http://www.cattlemensconnection.com/black_hawk_epd.html