Gelbveih cross jersey cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M":6sgjfx8a said:
Son of Butch":6sgjfx8a said:
Buy some and report back in 9+ years :) I for one would like to know those answers too.
Agreed. It sounds intriguing as long as you're the one that initially tests it out for the rest of us :D

Haha not intriguing enough to make me want to do it. If I did the sister in law would walk out some morning to milk her dairy cows and find some new additions to her herd after I quit.

farmerjan said:
I cannot say much about how other people raise their animals, but I also cannot conceive of a drylot, with temps that cold and no bedding. Just isn't what we do around here. Maybe you don't get alot of wind. Quote]

They have a cedar tree windbreak along part of the northwest side of the lot. I don't get to worked up with the ground frozen and snow unless well into the negatives cause there hair is dry. To me I think they look more stressed with temps in the 30s -50s and wet or the mid 80s on up (I'm sure somebody down south is laughing at me for saying the 80s are hot).

Today was a high of low teens with wind chills at zero and most of them were spread out laying in the sun chewing cud.

I can agree that temps in the 30's are rough with wet cold rain and such. And yeah, 80's and above is no picnic if it is very humid. I think that maybe the cattle in that area are also from animals that are conditioned to those conditions. Like evolution, they evolve to withstand those conditions. Brahman type cattle do alot better in the hotter temps, that's a fact. So maybe cattle raised there will be better off than some brought there from other climates. I was not personally attacking your situation. I have never been in an area where that is normal, and I was just thinking of how our cows react to weather conditions here. My cows would be hard pressed to survive that. Also it seems that cattle in those situations also are bigger and have more fat cover on them then the ones we have here. Dry is good, it is the wet that can chill their bodies so quick.

Stocker Steve":3qqrnptx said:
Till-Hill":3qqrnptx said:
Beef Hoop Systems is pushing this cross.

Does Beef Hoop Systems pay off with $1 calves.
No idea but I can run cows cheaper on a dry lot/shed than I can renting pasture. I sent business plan off to banker Friday. Hopefully next winter all cows under a roof and calves have 2-3 acres outside. $70,000 shed for 50 cows with tmr at dairy 1.75 miles away beats running around 80 mile round trip to look at same amount cows

I have been researching this subject for the last 8 years with little results. I have been successfully creating my own closed heard for 5 years now. There are many interesting things I have found so far.

I have a Gelbvieh bull, 1 Jersey cow/calf I purchased that was bread back with a register Hereford. This is the base of my program in 2012. I am putting together genetic profiles of all this. I have a daughter who is working in the field of genetic research and will receive her Phd from the university of Wisconsin next year. There is a lot of half information on the subject, I am trying to put something together and explain the benefits to a program like this. I may fail in my intent, or I may not. It will take another 3 to 4 years to know for sure.

Latest posts