Gelbieh heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Got a chance to buy 2 heifers one year old that are purebred. Would they be a good gross with a Angus bull? Is $500 each about right? They are from a well known person in our area. Thanks.

Gelbvieh-Angus makes a great cross- good carcass and the heifers are good mothers if you keep replacements. Depending on their size, but $500 is a good deal- Most yearling replacement type heifers up here are selling between $650-750.

Oldtimer":t25ssttk said:
Gelbvieh-Angus makes a great cross- good carcass and the heifers are good mothers if you keep replacements. Depending on their size, but $500 is a good deal- Most yearling replacement type heifers up here are selling between $650-750.
They may be priced high at $500.00
Seller may be happy to sell them at that price.
Most well known people have culls.

la4angus":1xwdthok said:

you also have to remember that some people's culls are better than others' best.

txag":guwmyqwp said:
la4angus":guwmyqwp said:

you also have to remember that some people's culls are better than others' best.
True. But they normally don't offer them under market prices
500 lb @$1.00 cwt=$500.00 for commercial hfrs.
I would just be careful.

LA4,
Why don't you give this a try? Buy some commerical heifers/cows for once.....the person who is selling them for 500 dollars is trying to sell them HONESTLY, not trying to rip them off. BTW, you might be satisfied with commerical heifers and save yourself a few bucks (make the wife and kids happy...) Take the risk..... Vote against Bush while you are at risk taking.....

Oregonian":2nb9344i said:
LA4,
Why don't you give this a try? Buy some commerical heifers/cows for once.....the person who is selling them for 500 dollars is trying to sell them HONESTLY, not trying to rip them off. BTW, you might be satisfied with commerical heifers and save yourself a few bucks (make the wife and kids happy...) Take the risk..... Vote against Bush while you are at risk taking.....

Save your breath... You'll need it to blow up your date.

Vote against Bush?! Too big a risk for me!! :shock:

Oregonian":237my4cl said:
LA4,

Oldtimer":1vxykgt4 said:

Their good mothers, the ones I've been around their almost to good. Pretty darn proud of their calves but thats not a real drawback to me. Carcass is probably a gelbveih's worst trait. They do not quality grade all that well I wouldn't want more than a 1/4 gelbvieh in any of my cattle but if they are nice $500 is cheap i've spent over $700 a head on cattle this last week. I'm a little skeptical about the quality of them if he's selling them that cheap and he's a "reputable seller".

While there are typically bargains out there to be had, it is difficult finding them and realizing that you got the bargain. More often than not, the bargain turns out to be a problem, cull, etc. I try to restrict my bargain shopping to people that I know really well. These folks will tell me if it is a cull, has a problem, etc.

I don't like to take gambles like this with money that I cannot afford to loose. You might consider that aspect. My thoughts have always been, instead of buying 2 at a price like that, combine your dollars and buy one that is guaranteed to outproduce herself.

What is their weight? Have you had the opportunity to go out and wander around among the cattle? If they're structurally correct, around 750-850 lbs and you can see their parents, at least the cows, and they're the type of cows you would like to have around, go for it.
Other posters have commented on theire marbeling qualities, rather poor, but they do make excellent cows, the Balancers - F1 Angus x Gelbvieh), make spectacualr cows. Rather growthy, but they'll raise a dynamite calf, generally squirt out their calves, and mother just about anything. I kind of think that Gelbvieh Hereford cross' would be excellent for a mother cow, bred to an Angus bull, WOW comes to mind.

dun

tom":irwwvckm said:
Got a chance to buy 2 heifers one year old that are purebred. Would they be a good gross with a Angus bull? Is $500 each about right? They are from a well known person in our area. Thanks.

Adam's has followed suit in the composite program by putting red balancer genetics into braford cows. Their explanation of the result is "WOW" as exactly stated above. I'd like to do it with Black balancers and see what becomes.

dun":jji4kcz7 said:
What is their weight? Have you had the opportunity to go out and wander around among the cattle? If they're structurally correct, around 750-850 lbs and you can see their parents, at least the cows, and they're the type of cows you would like to have around, go for it.
Other posters have commented on theire marbeling qualities, rather poor, but they do make excellent cows, the Balancers - F1 Angus x Gelbvieh), make spectacualr cows. Rather growthy, but they'll raise a dynamite calf, generally squirt out their calves, and mother just about anything. I kind of think that Gelbvieh Hereford cross' would be excellent for a mother cow, bred to an Angus bull, WOW comes to mind.

dun

tom":jji4kcz7 said:

I know you are hailed as the all knowing god of cattle on this board but get real if you think you're gonna find a nice 850lb heifer for $500.

There are so many circumstances that might lead someone to sell heifers below market. And there is a possibility that in his area Gelbviehs are docked so bad that private treaty is a better option then the salebarn. The owner may be looking at the registered market and discunting thses because of lack of registration. One needs to know the circumstances. That is why I recommended actually checking them out. There are bargains in the market. I never seem to find them, but I know that others do.
You also need to remember that my opinions/suggestions/ideas are just that, mine. I have found that if things are looked at from multiple angles they frequently aren't what the seem.

dun

Anonymous":1r83oz1t said:
I know you are hailed as the all knowing god of cattle on this board but get real if you think you're gonna find a nice 850lb heifer for $500.

dun":3sex58w0 said:
There are so many circumstances that might lead someone to sell heifers below market. And there is a possibility that in his area Gelbviehs are docked so bad that private treaty is a better option then the salebarn. The owner may be looking at the registered market and discunting thses because of lack of registration. One needs to know the circumstances. That is why I recommended actually checking them out. There are bargains in the market. I never seem to find them, but I know that others do.
You also need to remember that my opinions/suggestions/ideas are just that, mine. I have found that if things are looked at from multiple angles they frequently aren't what the seem.

dun

Anonymous":3sex58w0 said:

Agree Dun their are bargins out there I recently bought 3 Reg British Whites 6mo for 400 a peice. The rancher I bought them from was having back surgery and was going to be laid up quite a while. He just didn't want to dump them at the sale barn.

Well I did get to go look at them yesterday. The reason he had told me a couple months ago he was selling is he was not able to register them because of some problem with the way he tagged or identified them. Got to walk around the lot with them, they are a little skittish. Also a little smaller than I expected, 700 - 750 range, I thought they should have been a little bigger but then again I am not the best at guessing weights. Thanks for everyones thoughts still thinking about what to do.

tom":1k1sjt11 said:
Well I did get to go look at them yesterday. The reason he had told me a couple months ago he was selling is he was not able to register them because of some problem with the way he tagged or identified them. Got to walk around the lot with them, they are a little skittish. Also a little smaller than I expected, 700 - 750 range, I thought they should have been a little bigger but then again I am not the best at guessing weights. Thanks for everyones thoughts still thinking about what to do.

Skittish is one thing, highheaded is another. When strangers go out among our cows they all tend to stand well back and keep an eye on them. When they walk through the middle of the cows they'll hurry away to get a buffer space. When I go out among them they either hang around and are almost acurse or just act bored and wander off and keep eating. What is the size of his mature cows. If they run around 1100-1200 then 750 isn't too bad. If they're 1400-1600 the calves are way too light. Do they apear well fed or rangy and thin. Remebering too that yearlings can be in one of those gangly teenage looking growth stages.
Where are you located?

dun

Even if he buys them then turns around and sells them at the barn 50-100 pounds later if he doesn't like them. He can make a pretty penny on them if there is really nothing wrong with them.

Campground Cattle":3mqumizv said:
dun":3mqumizv said:

dun

Anonymous":3mqumizv said:

Agree Dun their are bargins out there I recently bought 3 Reg British Whites 6mo for 400 a peice. The rancher I bought them from was having back surgery and was going to be laid up quite a while. He just didn't want to dump them at the sale barn.

The fact that they were British Whites probably played the most in the price. 6 month old in Texas $400 still probably brought about $1.20 a pound....................

Latest posts