• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Gelbieh heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Guest
Got a chance to buy 2 heifers one year old that are purebred. Would they be a good gross with a Angus bull? Is $500 each about right? They are from a well known person in our area. Thanks.
 

Oldtimer

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 19, 2004
Messages
3,908
Reaction score
0
Location
Northeast Montana
Gelbvieh-Angus makes a great cross- good carcass and the heifers are good mothers if you keep replacements. Depending on their size, but $500 is a good deal- Most yearling replacement type heifers up here are selling between $650-750.
 

la4angus

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
0
Location
South La
Oldtimer":t25ssttk said:
Gelbvieh-Angus makes a great cross- good carcass and the heifers are good mothers if you keep replacements. Depending on their size, but $500 is a good deal- Most yearling replacement type heifers up here are selling between $650-750.
They may be priced high at $500.00
Seller may be happy to sell them at that price.
Most well known people have culls.
 

txag

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
1,712
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
la4angus":1xwdthok said:
Most well known people have culls.

you also have to remember that some people's culls are better than others' best.
 

la4angus

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
0
Location
South La
txag":guwmyqwp said:
la4angus":guwmyqwp said:
Most well known people have culls.

you also have to remember that some people's culls are better than others' best.
True. But they normally don't offer them under market prices
500 lb @$1.00 cwt=$500.00 for commercial hfrs.
I would just be careful.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
LA4,
Why don't you give this a try? Buy some commerical heifers/cows for once.....the person who is selling them for 500 dollars is trying to sell them HONESTLY, not trying to rip them off. BTW, you might be satisfied with commerical heifers and save yourself a few bucks (make the wife and kids happy...) Take the risk..... Vote against Bush while you are at risk taking.....
 

la4angus

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
0
Location
South La
Oregonian":2nb9344i said:
LA4,
Why don't you give this a try? Buy some commerical heifers/cows for once.....the person who is selling them for 500 dollars is trying to sell them HONESTLY, not trying to rip them off. BTW, you might be satisfied with commerical heifers and save yourself a few bucks (make the wife and kids happy...) Take the risk..... Vote against Bush while you are at risk taking.....

Save your breath... You'll need it to blow up your date.
 

Tod Dague

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
1,517
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Tx
Vote against Bush?! Too big a risk for me!! :shock:

Oregonian":237my4cl said:
LA4,
Why don't you give this a try? Buy some commerical heifers/cows for once.....the person who is selling them for 500 dollars is trying to sell them HONESTLY, not trying to rip them off. BTW, you might be satisfied with commerical heifers and save yourself a few bucks (make the wife and kids happy...) Take the risk..... Vote against Bush while you are at risk taking.....
 

BLACKPOWER

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2004
Messages
268
Reaction score
0
Location
NW Nebraska
Oldtimer":1vxykgt4 said:
Gelbvieh-Angus makes a great cross- good carcass and the heifers are good mothers if you keep replacements. Depending on their size, but $500 is a good deal- Most yearling replacement type heifers up here are selling between $650-750.

Their good mothers, the ones I've been around their almost to good. Pretty darn proud of their calves but thats not a real drawback to me. Carcass is probably a gelbveih's worst trait. They do not quality grade all that well I wouldn't want more than a 1/4 gelbvieh in any of my cattle but if they are nice $500 is cheap i've spent over $700 a head on cattle this last week. I'm a little skeptical about the quality of them if he's selling them that cheap and he's a "reputable seller".
 

lazyhill

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 12, 2004
Messages
126
Reaction score
0
Location
Van Alstyne, Texas - NE of Dallas
While there are typically bargains out there to be had, it is difficult finding them and realizing that you got the bargain. More often than not, the bargain turns out to be a problem, cull, etc. I try to restrict my bargain shopping to people that I know really well. These folks will tell me if it is a cull, has a problem, etc.

I don't like to take gambles like this with money that I cannot afford to loose. You might consider that aspect. My thoughts have always been, instead of buying 2 at a price like that, combine your dollars and buy one that is guaranteed to outproduce herself.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
What is their weight? Have you had the opportunity to go out and wander around among the cattle? If they're structurally correct, around 750-850 lbs and you can see their parents, at least the cows, and they're the type of cows you would like to have around, go for it.
Other posters have commented on theire marbeling qualities, rather poor, but they do make excellent cows, the Balancers - F1 Angus x Gelbvieh), make spectacualr cows. Rather growthy, but they'll raise a dynamite calf, generally squirt out their calves, and mother just about anything. I kind of think that Gelbvieh Hereford cross' would be excellent for a mother cow, bred to an Angus bull, WOW comes to mind.

dun

tom":irwwvckm said:
Got a chance to buy 2 heifers one year old that are purebred. Would they be a good gross with a Angus bull? Is $500 each about right? They are from a well known person in our area. Thanks.
 

D.R. Cattle

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 26, 2003
Messages
2,125
Reaction score
0
Location
East Central Florida
Adam's has followed suit in the composite program by putting red balancer genetics into braford cows. Their explanation of the result is "WOW" as exactly stated above. I'd like to do it with Black balancers and see what becomes.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
dun":jji4kcz7 said:
What is their weight? Have you had the opportunity to go out and wander around among the cattle? If they're structurally correct, around 750-850 lbs and you can see their parents, at least the cows, and they're the type of cows you would like to have around, go for it.
Other posters have commented on theire marbeling qualities, rather poor, but they do make excellent cows, the Balancers - F1 Angus x Gelbvieh), make spectacualr cows. Rather growthy, but they'll raise a dynamite calf, generally squirt out their calves, and mother just about anything. I kind of think that Gelbvieh Hereford cross' would be excellent for a mother cow, bred to an Angus bull, WOW comes to mind.

dun

tom":jji4kcz7 said:
Got a chance to buy 2 heifers one year old that are purebred. Would they be a good gross with a Angus bull? Is $500 each about right? They are from a well known person in our area. Thanks.

I know you are hailed as the all knowing god of cattle on this board but get real if you think you're gonna find a nice 850lb heifer for $500.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
There are so many circumstances that might lead someone to sell heifers below market. And there is a possibility that in his area Gelbviehs are docked so bad that private treaty is a better option then the salebarn. The owner may be looking at the registered market and discunting thses because of lack of registration. One needs to know the circumstances. That is why I recommended actually checking them out. There are bargains in the market. I never seem to find them, but I know that others do.
You also need to remember that my opinions/suggestions/ideas are just that, mine. I have found that if things are looked at from multiple angles they frequently aren't what the seem.

dun


Anonymous":1r83oz1t said:
I know you are hailed as the all knowing god of cattle on this board but get real if you think you're gonna find a nice 850lb heifer for $500.
 

Campground Cattle

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2004
Messages
2,533
Reaction score
0
Location
East Texas
dun":3sex58w0 said:
There are so many circumstances that might lead someone to sell heifers below market. And there is a possibility that in his area Gelbviehs are docked so bad that private treaty is a better option then the salebarn. The owner may be looking at the registered market and discunting thses because of lack of registration. One needs to know the circumstances. That is why I recommended actually checking them out. There are bargains in the market. I never seem to find them, but I know that others do.
You also need to remember that my opinions/suggestions/ideas are just that, mine. I have found that if things are looked at from multiple angles they frequently aren't what the seem.

dun


Anonymous":3sex58w0 said:
I know you are hailed as the all knowing god of cattle on this board but get real if you think you're gonna find a nice 850lb heifer for $500.

Agree Dun their are bargins out there I recently bought 3 Reg British Whites 6mo for 400 a peice. The rancher I bought them from was having back surgery and was going to be laid up quite a while. He just didn't want to dump them at the sale barn.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
Well I did get to go look at them yesterday. The reason he had told me a couple months ago he was selling is he was not able to register them because of some problem with the way he tagged or identified them. Got to walk around the lot with them, they are a little skittish. Also a little smaller than I expected, 700 - 750 range, I thought they should have been a little bigger but then again I am not the best at guessing weights. Thanks for everyones thoughts still thinking about what to do.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
tom":1k1sjt11 said:
Well I did get to go look at them yesterday. The reason he had told me a couple months ago he was selling is he was not able to register them because of some problem with the way he tagged or identified them. Got to walk around the lot with them, they are a little skittish. Also a little smaller than I expected, 700 - 750 range, I thought they should have been a little bigger but then again I am not the best at guessing weights. Thanks for everyones thoughts still thinking about what to do.

Skittish is one thing, highheaded is another. When strangers go out among our cows they all tend to stand well back and keep an eye on them. When they walk through the middle of the cows they'll hurry away to get a buffer space. When I go out among them they either hang around and are almost acurse or just act bored and wander off and keep eating. What is the size of his mature cows. If they run around 1100-1200 then 750 isn't too bad. If they're 1400-1600 the calves are way too light. Do they apear well fed or rangy and thin. Remebering too that yearlings can be in one of those gangly teenage looking growth stages.
Where are you located?

dun
 

Jake

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 20, 2003
Messages
3,777
Reaction score
5
Location
North Central Kansas
Even if he buys them then turns around and sells them at the barn 50-100 pounds later if he doesn't like them. He can make a pretty penny on them if there is really nothing wrong with them.
 

BLACKPOWER

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2004
Messages
268
Reaction score
0
Location
NW Nebraska
Campground Cattle":3mqumizv said:
dun":3mqumizv said:
There are so many circumstances that might lead someone to sell heifers below market. And there is a possibility that in his area Gelbviehs are docked so bad that private treaty is a better option then the salebarn. The owner may be looking at the registered market and discunting thses because of lack of registration. One needs to know the circumstances. That is why I recommended actually checking them out. There are bargains in the market. I never seem to find them, but I know that others do.
You also need to remember that my opinions/suggestions/ideas are just that, mine. I have found that if things are looked at from multiple angles they frequently aren't what the seem.

dun


Anonymous":3mqumizv said:
I know you are hailed as the all knowing god of cattle on this board but get real if you think you're gonna find a nice 850lb heifer for $500.

Agree Dun their are bargins out there I recently bought 3 Reg British Whites 6mo for 400 a peice. The rancher I bought them from was having back surgery and was going to be laid up quite a while. He just didn't want to dump them at the sale barn.

The fact that they were British Whites probably played the most in the price. 6 month old in Texas $400 still probably brought about $1.20 a pound....................
 

Latest posts

Top