geese nesting on pond bank

Help Support CattleToday:

brownmule

Reaction score
last month we had a pair of gees come in and deside thatour little pond would be there home.. we wacthed them as they defended off the others geese.. gathered things to make a nest.. when we were camping they would come up and pick grass pretty close to us 5 -6 ft away.. we fed them some grain and bread..
them only one would come visit while the other sat on the nest we could see it from the camp site.. last sunday i seen a baby paddling behind one of th big ones. the other was setting.. yesterday we could not find them any where.. jane and walked to the nest sight.. they were gone no sign of struggle i found a goose track along the shore and then i seen.... a dog like track right beside it...gurrrrrrrr...i know its nature but that sure sucks.. we looked at the nest there was 3 big eggs under the nest so we took them.. jane has a friend who sets duck eggs so we drove 40 miles at 9 last night to try to save them.. she candled them they were dark. i dont know if the chicks got cold and died inthe egg or they will make it.. but we had to try... the pond is so still now with out the resident geese... big bummer... Rose

Sounds like they're off with the little one(s) Some eggs don't hatch,if they're like chickens..
We have Whisteling Tree Ducks..First saw them 3 years ago,now have a couple of flocks..

Geese dont usually stay all year. Im guessing they headed back to there summer home. My experience has been a dog kill will usually leave plenty of sign.

brownmule":1hax8wgb said:
last month we had a pair of gees come in and deside thatour little pond would be there home.. we wacthed them as they defended off the others geese.. gathered things to make a nest.. when we were camping they would come up and pick grass pretty close to us 5 -6 ft away.. we fed them some grain and bread..
them only one would come visit while the other sat on the nest we could see it from the camp site.. last sunday i seen a baby paddling behind one of th big ones. the other was setting.. yesterday we could not find them any where.. jane and walked to the nest sight.. they were gone no sign of struggle i found a goose track along the shore and then i seen.... a dog like track right beside it...gurrrrrrrr...i know its nature but that sure sucks.. we looked at the nest there was 3 big eggs under the nest so we took them.. jane has a friend who sets duck eggs so we drove 40 miles at 9 last night to try to save them.. she candled them they were dark. i dont know if the chicks got cold and died inthe egg or they will make it.. but we had to try... the pond is so still now with out the resident geese... big bummer... Rose

Adult geese rarely fall prey to predators. i would imagine they are hiding iwth their babies somewhere safe until they get a little bit bigger. another thing that is weird is that the one baby was swimming while the female was still on the nest.. thats not normal. are you sure you just had one pair? why were the eggs under the nest? if a dog had killed the mother you would have seen feathers

We have this happen on our ponds. The geese nest near the small ponds, hatch their goslings, then move them after a day or so to the big pond. Dogs and coyotes however do interrupt the normal process. :devil2:

last year a couple wild ones nested on our dugout they generally go way up north to nest --But something is changeing ----Anyway my nieghbour had 3 tame geese they walked 1 1/2 miles and spent the summer with the wild ones---this spring when they came back -my nieghbour says ---guess my white geese will come later --they fly slower you know---Now the old boy drinks quite a bit ---And some of his thinking is a little off----but if I could of found 3 white geese I would have dropped them off at his place in the middle of the night

we were at the farm this week end we found some feather s on the hill good ways from nest... there was only the pair, i am a asumming that one was still setting on eggs but durning the attach the nest was some what tore up found an egg on hill side also, sat night we heard coyote pups in the woods they sounded like they were comming closer to the camp but my dog barked and then it was very still,, im think maybe the mother coyotes was hunting w her babies and they got the geese,,, :(

Most years we have a pair of geese nest here. I've only seen babies a couple of times. I think the coyotes get them. Sad, but hey have to eat, too.

Latest posts