Gcreekranch Feedlots & Replacement Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver":3n9d2lru said:
gcreekrch":3n9d2lru said:
kenny thomas":3n9d2lru said:
Wow, there are cows standing in the market that were bought 10 days ago that haven't been picked up yet. Way too many cows and many are in the 30's. Some at .10-.25

Costs a lot of money for those cows to stand and wait for kill dates. A month ago these cows were 15 to 30 cents cheaper.

What do cows in your area weigh live on average Kenny?

Cull cows were 10¢ higher here a month ago. And about 14¢ higher when we shipped in late October. Sure glad we didn't hold 'em.

I just went through several weeks of VJV market reports. Interesting that your cow market held up for 3 weeks longer than ours did. Especially considering the difference in freight. BC Livestock had cows sitting for up to 10 days waiting for kill dates and trucks. Like I said. This bunch made us a bunch of money from when we pregged to last week. They were stilll cheap from the last few years.

Not complaining. We sent 32 cows and 2 bulls to the sale in Nov. 2009. We grossed 7780.00 on the load. Less a $1500 truck and the selling charges.

kenny thomas":tlbflk1w said:
Wow, there are cows standing in the market that were bought 10 days ago that haven't been picked up yet. Way too many cows and many are in the 30's. Some at .10-.25

Are folks in your area dumping beef cows due to feed costs, or for another reason?

Flooding all over the south is one reason. Part of the kill facilities were flooded from the hurricane. Took a while for them to get back open. Some of us just held longer than we should have. Now it's time to sell.
I don't see feed cost as much of an issue.

I took a hit on my calves I sold in Oct. But, I am glad I did not wait until Dec. Now, I just hope they pick up by next year. Slaughter cows are ridiculously low!

I have a friend that has gone to buying Dairy Steers and just feeding them out. He tells me h is making more on them than his beef cattle. He has plenty of hay and probably has about 100 Holstein and Jersey calves right now. They are practically giving they young ones away.

sstterry":zkj9meyo said:
I took a hit on my calves I sold in Oct. But, I am glad I did not wait until Dec. Now, I just hope they pick up by next year. Slaughter cows are ridiculously low!

I have a friend that has gone to buying Dairy Steers and just feeding them out. He tells me h is making more on them than his beef cattle. He has plenty of hay and probably has about 100 Holstein and Jersey calves right now. They are practically giving they young ones away.
Luckily we have a friend that buys dairy calves and brings them all the way to slaughter, he's a very knowledgeable farmer and cow man. He was a long time poster on here but gave up because of the idiots.

Latest posts