Gators in a favorite lake here in Tennessee Valley

Help Support CattleToday:

WagaAgeyv

Reaction score
GatorinLake.jpg

GatorinLake1.jpg

GatorinLake1-1.jpg

GatorinLake2.jpg

These were taken in a lake about 45 min from our house. Joe Wheeler & Wilson dam Lake. It is scarey to know this is the first time they have been seen since let go 25 or 30 years ago. They were put there to help with the beaver problem. Well now they are becoming a problem. Man always tries to fix mother nature and see what happens. We need to leave Mother Nature to her own devices.

they're becoming a problem?...if them alligators were here then I bet they'd be becoming a pair of boots instead :lol: :D

The last two pics have been around a while also. They are not from the tennessee but some river in Georgia. I was sent the same photos but they were supposed to be taken near The wheeler wildlife reserve. I had also recieved them about 2 years ago, they have been around a while.

Thanks bama I knew you would help me out you live close to Wheeler. So how many have you heard of or seen?
If they are anywhere near here I don't like it. Not fair to the average lake visitor.

WagaAgeyv":hlgg2h5m said:
Man always tries to fix mother nature and see what happens.

Yup. Remember the spotted owl thing a few years ago? I read recently that they've become so overpopulated that they are wreaking havoc with other species and may have to be thinned out.

Gators have eaten several people and pets this Spring in Florida. The ranch I'm working for just got permits to remove 80 of them. I'm sure others are following suit.

I personally have never saw one in the water here. I know there are a lot of sightings around here though. I've saw several pictures of them in places that I reconize as to know for sure where its at. Several friends have saw them. I work at a plant that the river is in at our back door. We have a boat ramp and picnic area there. Several people fish during lunch and have saw them in the water next to the plant. I wouldn't say we have a very big population though. I saw a picture last week of one a week ago of a nine footer in the elk river about where it empties into the Tennessee. The guy that took the picture had been skiing there the day before.

Bama":1ilekd93 said:
I personally have never saw one in the water here. I know there are a lot of sightings around here though. I've saw several pictures of them in places that I reconize as to know for sure where its at. Several friends have saw them. I work at a plant that the river is in at our back door. We have a boat ramp and picnic area there. Several people fish during lunch and have saw them in the water next to the plant. I wouldn't say we have a very big population though. I saw a picture last week of one a week ago of a nine footer in the elk river about where it empties into the Tennessee. The guy that took the picture had been skiing there the day before.

We are covered up with them. But they are good eating.

I would take beavers over Gators any day! Is there Gators in parts of TN or is this a whole new animal introduced to your area?

Wonder how many beavers killed and ate a child fishing in the lake? Might be a reality with the gators in the future.

them alligators better not come to Virginia from Tenn. :shock: ...can alligators survive at about 3,000 feet elevation?...I sure hope not or i'm keeping an eye out for alligators in the rivers from now on :lol:

there was an article in the local newspaper a few months back that said alligators were moving up farther north in the mississippi river on account of the warmer temperatures.

I used to have a gator in the pond here but my bulldog ate him.
gator4.jpg

Big thing that surprises me about places with gators is how people in areas with them still swim and ski in lakes that are known to have them.

If I heard there was one gator in the state of Kansas that was not at a Zoo you would never see me at the lake again. I would not even night swim in a pool.

There aint no Gators in Tennessee PERIOD. Gators are cold blooded and would not last past the 1st day of December here. I've seen that pic of the Gator swimming with the Deer numerous time. It was once titled "Deer hunting Florida Style". Aint nothing but a hoax like the Loch Ness Monster.

aplusmnt":2aazwgl6 said:
Big thing that surprises me about places with gators is how people in areas with them still swim and ski in lakes that are known to have them.

If I heard there was one gator in the state of Kansas that was not at a Zoo you would never see me at the lake again. I would not even night swim in a pool.

Yeah. I remember back in the 70's after the movie Jaws came out I had a hard time swimming in a pond or lake where I couldn't see the bottom. Even though I knew there weren't any sharks there, I still felt a bit uneasy. Silly but true.

Crowderfarms":wneuh30m said:
There aint no Gators in Tennessee PERIOD. Gators are cold blooded and would not last past the 1st day of December here. I've seen that pic of the Gator swimming with the Deer numerous time. It was once titled "Deer hunting Florida Style". Aint nothing but a hoax like the Loch Ness Monster.

Well I got plenty just pm me your address and I can fed-ex up some.

Caustic Burno":2xcg5yhx said:
Crowderfarms":2xcg5yhx said:

Caustic...you're going to need one heck of a box to keep an alligator in it :lol: ...yall allowed to shoot any of them gators?...like a hunting season or something?

Caustic Burno":79vesao1 said:
Crowderfarms":79vesao1 said:

Starting to think Texas might be a dangerous place to live, between them Panthers, wild boar, rattle snakes, man eating coyotes, Hurricanes, wild fires and now Gators.

aplusmnt":2atkeaxd said:
Starting to think Texas might be a dangerous place to live, between them Panthers, wild boar, rattle snakes, man eating coyotes, Hurricanes, wild fires and now Gators.

Don't forget them Brimmers. ;-)

I hate to do this Crowder but, pull up a map of the Potomac River that runs from Washington D.C. up between MD/WV and I can tell you for a fact that there is a serious alligator problem around here, they live in the stinkin' Potomac River. Natural Resources guys are having on heck of a time getting rid of them. No bull about it, that is the truth

Latest posts