Gates cheap ones or expensive ones

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone out there has a trick to making a cheap gate into a better gate that doesn't bow?

cheap gates at local tsc 12' gate $79 vs. 12' bull gate $140. Which one to buy?

I was thinking about the cheaper gate and adding a 9ga wire cattle panel, welding it too it, that adds $17 to the cheap gate. Any thoughts or experiences with gates??

The cheap ones are so thin its hard to get the wire welded to them without burning a bunch of holes and even if you get it welded, the weld is not very strong. Only use them in a non-crowd situation.

There are gates in between those two extremes. I think TSC carries a variety, but you may have to ask to see their book. I know Rural King carries a variety. Last 12' gate I bought was in the fall at Rural King, $80. Not a bull gate but a lot better than the thin light duty gates.

BryanM":2dkp0msr said:
I am wondering if anyone out there has a trick to making a cheap gate into a better gate that doesn't bow?

I was thinking about the cheaper gate and adding a 9ga wire cattle panel, welding it too it, that adds $17 to the cheap gate. Any thoughts or experiences with gates??

Where in OH do you live?

I know that I am biased in answering this question, but when I opened my Farm & Feed store, I only wanted to carry the very best products... with that said, we carry the Sioux Steel line of livestock handling equipment. They make several different lines (quality) of gates but our best seller is their "Victory" line. Not only is it a heavy gate, it is also has a powder coated finish and comes with a Lifetime Warranty. Not a bad warranty coming from a company that has been around since 1918.

Although too heavy to be practical, I have started building some of my gates from pressure treated 2" X 6". Clinch nailing 20 penny nails, and making my hinges from schedule 40 black pipe and flat stock. 5 12 footers, one 14 foot, and 1 10 foot.

Pony up for the better gates and deduct them on your taxes as a farm expense. There are a lot of other things you can skimp on. Your time & labor to "upgrade" with the panels are worth more than $17 and you'll need to replace them sooner than anticipated.

TN Cattle Man":tbthhe6h said:
I know that I am biased in answering this question, but when I opened my Farm & Feed store, I only wanted to carry the very best products... with that said, we carry the Sioux Steel line of livestock handling equipment. They make several different lines (quality) of gates but our best seller is their "Victory" line. Not only is it a heavy gate, it is also has a powder coated finish and comes with a Lifetime Warranty. Not a bad warranty coming from a company that has been around since 1918.

The Sioux Steel Victory gate is awesome. We have one and I put it in the alley where I need the strongest gate possible. Last week I had a 1,200 lb cow jump up and onto the gate. Luckily it was closed at the time and the latch held. She went on over after a pause but for a little while all her weight was on the gate. Here's a pic afterwards. No damage at all.

Well, I bought a 16ft heavier gate today, very similar to True Grits pic. I'll try an answer all the questions ask. I live east of Toledo, I couldn't find a Sioux dealer close too me, Cattle panels are on sale 1$17.plus change for 16ft 9 ga galvanized panels, no agrisupply near me, that's very impressive on the 1200lb cow on the Sioux gate.
I might be able to build my gates from steel, but would bee as much or slightly less, but a small hassel ordering steel and hauling it home vs. buying? Thanks for all the input, just wondered if someone had a simple trick to making a cheap gate into a better gate?

BryanM":215ur071 said:

I think im going to start making my own gates out and see how they last

skyhightree1":h7udgnwh said:
BryanM":h7udgnwh said:

Ive made a bunch over the years and they do well but you wont just hang them on regular post. you need light poles and at least 5' in the ground , they are very heavy and will twist some over time. I scored and old Deck a few weeks ago the top side was weathered but bottom and joist looked new. Gona build a few gates out of them

M-5":25clok9o said:
skyhightree1":25clok9o said:
BryanM":25clok9o said:

Ive made a bunch over the years and they do well but you wont just hang them on regular post. you need light poles and at least 5' in the ground , they are very heavy and will twist some over time. I scored and old Deck a few weeks ago the top side was weathered but bottom and joist looked new. Gona build a few gates out of them

Yea that's what I was thinking of doing with the post bury them deep like a corner post. They are giving away a few tractor trailer loads up here of the light poles they have replaced or were damaged. I have those and some rail road ties.

You can't hardly buy a decent gate for working pens . We build our own outta 15/8ss40 pipe with a vertical every 3 feet.

For pasture gates it's hard to beat the lometa gates. 11/4 frame but 1/8 inch wall thickness.
All most zero sag due to the welded panel.
Just dipped in primer and the welds ain't ground. They're a little rough, but he'll so are we. I pay 5.00 per linear foot for them.

Good latch

Bullet proof hinges.

callmefence":30vmmgg6 said:
You can't hardly buy a decent gate for working pens . We build our own outta 15/8ss40 pipe with a vertical every 3 feet.

For pasture gates it's hard to beat the lometa gates. 11/4 frame but 1/8 inch wall thickness.
All most zero sag due to the welded panel.
Just dipped in primer and the welds ain't ground. They're a little rough, but he'll so are we. I pay 5.00 per linear foot for them.

Good latch

Bullet proof hinges.

Awesome work.

Latest posts