Gate Ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks for the great info sorry been so long to get back.
It has been busy around here.
The fence is 3 strands of barbed wire with 1 elct.
Thanks Jeff

tsmaxx47":27ymp00o said:
@jeffk - you might get by just putting a gap in the fence until you can afford or build a decent gate....

Reading this reminded me of my Grandma's farm. I don't think it had more than one real gate on the whole place.
And for some reason it was always my job to open the gap and sometimes they bite...

I hated them. It has probably been 40 years since I had to open one though.

I've used just a single hot wire on some of my pastures for years. I've got cows that'll bulldoze through barb wire but won't go near the electric. Only tricky part is getting it the right height to keep the smaller calves from going under. Its a cheap and fast way to get up fence. Oh yeah, make sure you always bring one of the kids to open the wire gate :lol:

Any of you ever use a "bump gate" ( I think it is called)? Can't find the ad I saw in a mag a while back but seems it opens when you bump it with a slow moving vehicle and then closes when the vehicle is through. Battery operated of maybe some kind of spring action, I'm not sure

City Guy":laf4f29q said:
Any of you ever use a "bump gate" ( I think it is called)? Can't find the ad I saw in a mag a while back but seems it opens when you bump it with a slow moving vehicle and then closes when the vehicle is through. Battery operated of maybe some kind of spring action, I'm not sure
They used to be all over west Texas when I was young--not sure how they worked but it sure wasn't electric. Back then tho, every car and truck had a real bumper, but I remember someone had to get out an hold the gate open if you were pulling a trailer.

I didn't read through. But I don't see any reason to do anything except a proper gate.
A good 16 foot gate(theres many) can be had for 150.00. There's no reason to do anything else. Sell a calf and do it up right. You may not be glad you did. But you'll probably be sorry if you don't.

Jogeephus":ugo8vlg7 said:
The bungee cord idea sounds great. Ingenious actually. But I wonder what my insurance company would say if one got on the highway with this type setup. I don't think it would go well.

Not trying to be a smart azz but if someone is in such a bind to not be able to afford a proper gate that will be used often then maybe they should buy one less cow - or maybe three.
I somehow missed your reply 3 years ago, Jo. I often forget just how rural I and my neighbors are, and that folks like yourself have to consider a highway or even public road. The "ingenious" bungee idea certainly doesn't take the place of a proper gate for perimeters, but it's still working well at two locations the neighbor uses it on a private road to cross another property.

City Guy":11ckuhxi said:
I use one on my drive. Had it since 2010. It an electrified bump gate. As GB suggest, the gate is not operated by electricity; all mechanical. Impossible to adjust the height to accommodate all type vehicles, so when your MIL comes to visit in her Prius tell her "DO NOT reach out the window and try to lift it up over the car!"

Latest posts