Gasser Starting Issue ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have a JI Case 730 loader tractor at a remote pasture for occasional use. Recently it refuses to start - - firing black until you release the key when it then kills immediately. Put in new plugs and had my my second spray start fluid in the intake, but still have the same outcome. Any tips?

My guess would be a fuel issue are you adding a fuel stabilizer to the fuel ? The new fuel breaks down way quicker then it used too. Use sea foam dumped straight into carb to help clean it out . Then make sure to add fuel stabilizer ever rime you fuel up

Points or electronic ignition? Your correct, it should run on either. So that tells me it's a spark issue. Either weak spark or inconsistent spark. Take a plug out and see if you have spark.

Its gotta suck, bang, and blow
Check to make sure intake isnt restricted (unlikely if ur shooting starting fluid in it)
Check points plugs and timing. Gotta go bang on time.
Also make sure the exhaust doesn't have a birds nest or some other crap plugging it up.

Could you explain "firing black"? The way I read your description, it sounds like it's trying to start until you let go of the key. Which would indicate the switch is faulty.

Start with the easy stuff, pop the distributor cap, make sure it's clean and dry, check the points, maybe run a little fine emery cloth through them, check the condenser (common failure point on old units and will cause weak spark and arcing on the points)... Check the fuel supply, drop the float bowl off the carb, clean, makes sure the jets are clean and you get fuel when the petcock is open

My old grey Fergie was a bit cranky to start, only had occaisional use. Finally it wouldn't start so I had to look into it and found the wire going into the ignition switch badly corroded and only hanging by a couple of threads. I rewired and put in new switch and now it bursts into life as soon as I hit the starter and runs better than I can remember. Not saying this is your problem but I was looking at more obvious causes closer to the source.

Ken

If it has points, that is pretty much textbook ballast resistor failure.

The starter solenoid feeds 12 volts to the coil only while cranking, when you let off the key, power is routed from the ignition switch to a resistor and then to the coil. The resistor keeps the points from burning.

If that resistor fails, you only have spark while the engine is cranking, it'll shut down as soon as you let off the key.