Gasoline rag and cranking a diesal

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Anybody ever put gas on a rag place it on the air filter breather to start a truck? Saw my neighbor do this yesterday. It worked but sure did make that old diesal enginge move fast.

It's like waking someone up with a sledge hammer. They'll wake up, but they won't feel very good.

It runs the engine too hard before it is lubricated.

Ive heard of that trick but it is too hit and miss for me. With a can of ether at least you are in control of the dose given.

How about a tow start or letting it run down hill. Either method should bring some oil into play before ignition occurs. this can be impartant if the emgine has been idle for a while.

Back in '79/'80 I worked on a huge earthmoving job (Tombigbee Waterway). In the winter the only thing they would use to help start the equipment on a cold day was the gas soaked rag trick. I don't remember any problems with the engines overrevving. Just pull the rag away as soon as it fires off. Granted this was before all the electronically controlled engines we have today. They NEVER used starting fluid and there were hundreds of pieces of equipment on this job some as large as 600 hp.

Starting fluid is hard on an engine, gas is better even though we use both. Gas in a squirt battle is best but I never have that with me so a rag is the next best but lots of times I will pour gas on the air filter. Now I'm sure I will be told all sorts of ways that this is wrong and bad but I do this probably 30-40 times a year and know lots of others that do it too.

WD-40 sprayed into the air cleaner works good on cold/hard starts. I use to use gas rag, starting fluid till I learned about WD-40. Not sure its any better, but is a lubricant.
I woud not try the gas rag by myself, you dont want that rag sucked in and have a run away diesel motor.

saltbranch":2xvmm6f5 said:
WD-40 sprayed into the air cleaner works good on cold/hard starts. I use to use gas rag, starting fluid till I learned about WD-40. Not sure its any better, but is a lubricant.
I woud not try the gas rag by myself, you dont want that rag sucked in and have a run away diesel motor.
I used to use WD-40 but they changed something in it that is supposed to be harmful to the engine but I don't know if that is just hearsay and not fact.

The way I figure, gas rags, gas on air filters, starting fluid and WD-40 are not the best for the motor in any case. Wd-40 is a lubricant, where the others are not. Is 1 better than the other? I cant say. It works for me. Just another suggestion.