Gasoline prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Jalopy

Reaction score
I am in Iowa and when oil was $147 a barrel we paid $4.02/gallon for gasoline. That is a ratio of .0273 cents per gallon of crude. Therefore with crude oil at $47/ barrel we should be paying $1.28 / gallon for gasoline and we are routinely paying $1.62-$1.69/ gallon. It can't be a true supply demand equation or we would have been paying more when we had a higher demand last spring and a shorter supply. Any thoughts anyone?

Jalopy, I agree that it's not just supply and demand that sets the price of gasoline. However, there are some fixed costs and variable costs in the cost of a gallon of gasoline. If oil drops to $10 a barrell, you wouldn't expect gas to follow that same linear trend downward.

We paid $1.43 a gallon last night for gas. It's a bittersweet pill for us in East Texas. Our local economy has been ginning right along because of all of the natural gas activity. Now, as the price of natural gas has fallen, we are seeing drilling plans postponed.

bigbull338":22ftmtv2 said:
gas here is $1.45 a gal.yall are forgetting theres about .80 a gal in taxes.

And if that isn't enough.......... now this:

N.C. looks at taxing drivers by the mile
Idea for road-use tax is expected to hinge on odometer readings, then GPS tracking, to replace revenue lost to fuel efficiency.

By Steve Harrison
[email protected]
Posted: Monday, Dec. 15, 2008

With gas-tax revenues plummeting, the state of North Carolina is looking seriously at taxing motorists for how far they drive.
If the "road-use tax" is implemented, it would at first be simple – with the state checking your odometer annually and taxing you based on how many miles you have driven. But transportation experts say new GPS technology could allow the state to charge people different rates based on when and where they drive, in an attempt to manage congestion.
Talk of a Vehicle Miles Traveled tax has long been discussed as a necessity in a decade or so, because cars are becoming more fuel efficient, and states and the federal government are losing gas-tax revenue.
But there is now a sense of urgency about the new VMT tax. When gas hit $4 a gallon this summer, Americans sharply curtailed their driving. And when the economy cratered this fall, the driving rollback continued, even when gas prices plummeted.
The 21st Century Transportation Committee suggested that, in addition to the gas tax, motorists pay a quarter-cent for each mile they drive, with the first 2,000 miles annually free. A motorist who drives 12,000 miles a year would pay $25 – possibly due when the driver gets the car inspected.
It's unlikely the General Assembly will add a new tax in 2009, during a recession.
But the N.C. Department of Transportation will need help soon. Revenue from the motor fuel tax of 29.9 cents per gallon is down 12 percent this year, and the state expects a three-year loss of $580 million.
The U.S. Department of Transportation reported that Americans drove 100 billion fewer miles between November 2007 and October 2008 – the largest continuous decline in history.
"The status quo isn't an option," said Mark Finlayson, who co-chairs the transportation advocacy group N.C. Go!. "Cars are now using less fuel, but they are still putting wear and tear on the roads."

Beyond North Carolina
North Carolina isn't the only state interested in a VMT tax. Oregon has studied it, and a number of other states and the federal government are considering road-use taxes.
"When we have plug-in hybrids, they won't be stopping at the gas pump," said Steve Polzin of the University of South Florida's Center for Urban Transportation Research. "Everyone is looking to capture that market. If we don't, we'll see some pretty serious effects."...

What are they going to do about the guys that put 20k miles on a vehicle and 8k are off road
Are they gonna give us a tax credit for those miles
I drove 9 miles today and only was on the road for 4 of them
and heck I ought to charge them for the wear and tear of driving on that 4 miles of road because my ranch roads are alot better than the county roads I live on

Angus Cowman":b1hy5981 said:
What are they going to do about the guys that put 20k miles on a vehicle and 8k are off road
Are they gonna give us a tax credit for those miles
I drove 9 miles today and only was on the road for 4 of them
and heck I ought to charge them for the wear and tear of driving on that 4 miles of road because my ranch roads are alot better than the county roads I live on
The cattlemen and women of this country have for many years prided themselves on their independence on others.. I say we continue to be as independent as possible and not expect or assume we got a tax credit for doing our jobs
cowman sounds like a whining farmer to me use to getting all those handouts from the feds---

T

I wasn't whining just asked if they had given anythought to this We(my wife and I) have ran cattle for years and we have done it on our own I don't take handouts and beleive in paying my fair share but I am sick and tired of paying everyone elses so if I drive 20-30k a yr and 1/2 of that is off road I shouldn't have to pay for that just like all the fuel that the truckers put in their reefer units is considered off road
and al the fuel I put in tractors is off road
I don't know what your agenda is by being on this board but all you have done since joining is being a smarta$$ and being rude and arrogant you have offered very little in the way of useful information
I usually don't criticize others but you are about as useless on this board as tits on a boar hog

Have a wonderfull day

That might be a good idea if the money actually went to keep the roads up. In Canada we have a "road tax" on fuel. Ten cents a liter on gasoline. Works out to about 38 cents a US gallon. The sad part is the government basically just puts the "road tax" into general revenues and then pisses it away!
Another sad thing is Alberta pays about $770K per year and the federal government does nothing out here. They tend to spend a lot of that money in the east on the roads, but next to nothing in Alta/Sask.!
We get treated pretty badly in the west by the federal government, which is probably why most Albertans hate the feds! Hopefully in my lifetime I'll see an independent and free Alberta. I'm an Alberta seperatist.

Latest posts