Gas powered pole saws

Help Support CattleToday:

I have this one, although not a Stihl, it has worked good and I have a couple of extensions that I can get a limb at least 20' high, also the tiller attachment and others work good also. I use it often and have had zero problems.
90yNVE.jpg

This is the best limb getter as you can angle the head up and go around the fence rows and kill all the over hanging limbs. I have been doing this for a couple years using Surmount spray and am slowly taking back my fence rows. I have taken out limbs 20' high with this also. Also the Surmount will take out the Cedars and not kill your grass.
http://www.dowagro.com/range/products/surmount.htm
007ctl.jpg

SmokinM":1r0neo04 said:
I have a Husqvarna but not the telescoping one. Cuts very well. Pretty much what everyone has said a little bit on the bottom then cut from top and no problem. You do have to watch for bigger limbs to swing down or drop on you. The right way is to do small chunks. Safer but time consuming. An eight hour day will show you how good of shape your shoulders are in ! Be safe.

Steve

If you had the telescopic one its alot easier on your shoulders.

I have a Husqvarna and a Stihl and I like the Husqvarna better. It's longer, starts easier, has better balance, and has a longer adjustment on the chain. Don't have the telescoping one, it's a lot heavier to tote around than the non-telescoping. The saws can and will get pinched even when cutting from the top of the limb because many limbs tend to swing left or right rather than fall straight down. But, I've yet to have one pinched bad enough to abandon it. You'll get a lot of sawdust in your eyes and shirt pocket. Probably should wear safety glasses but I don't. I must have cut a million limbs and forks out of trees with these things. I've never had a saw pinched cutting a fork out. The worst I've had happen was a heavy hickory limb fell straight down after I cut through it and I had dropped the head of the saw down to the ground ahead of the falling limb and the limb landed on top and broke the head clean off the shaft. That was a $200 mistake. That was worse than the time a falling oak limb sideswiped my ear and about ripped it off my head.

ga.prime":3nvm6hmd said:
I have a Husqvarna and a Stihl and I like the Husqvarna better. It's longer, starts easier, has better balance, and has a longer adjustment on the chain. Don't have the telescoping one, it's a lot heavier to tote around than the non-telescoping. The saws can and will get pinched even when cutting from the top of the limb because many limbs tend to swing left or right rather than fall straight down. But, I've yet to have one pinched bad enough to abandon it. You'll get a lot of sawdust in your eyes and shirt pocket. Probably should wear safety glasses but I don't. I must have cut a million limbs and forks out of trees with these things. I've never had a saw pinched cutting a fork out. The worst I've had happen was a heavy hickory limb fell straight down after I cut through it and I had dropped the head of the saw down to the ground ahead of the falling limb and the limb landed on top and broke the head clean off the shaft. That was a $200 mistake. That was worse than the time a falling oak limb sideswiped my ear and about ripped it off my head.
When using the pole saw I wear the same stuff I do for regular chainsaw cutting. Chaps, hard hat, face screen and hearing protection. Didn;t even know that stuff existed till about 12 years ago when I took a timber cutting school. Learned lots of good stuff at the school, directional felling tricks, limbing techniques, dealing with springpoles, using wedges, proper servicing of equipment, and a ton more.

dun":2qzaf5ho said:
ga.prime":2qzaf5ho said:
When using the pole saw I wear the same stuff I do for regular chainsaw cutting. Chaps, hard hat, face screen and hearing protection. Didn;t even know that stuff existed till about 12 years ago when I took a timber cutting school. Learned lots of good stuff at the school, directional felling tricks, limbing techniques, dealing with springpoles, using wedges, proper servicing of equipment, and a ton more.

dun I require the same of my guys no matter how small it may seem suit up thats what I learned in Arborist Cert. training.

That's definitely the smart policy using the safety equipment. I had one of those hard hats with the screen on the front but lost it somehow. The screen is better than safety glasses because the glasses fog up so bad.

Thanks, everyone, for all the great information. I am going to look at both the Stihl and the Husqvarna, tomorrow. Safety equipment sounds like a must with stuff falling down at you. Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

I have been very happy with a Stihl. Yes you can get pinching but they make an attachment that angles the bar/ chain so you are cutting down from the top of the limb not the side. I didn't get that attachment just keep a sharp chain and know how deep to undercut by trial and error.

I have a tanaka, for about 8 years. Does,pretty good. Would rather have a Stihl, but they were twice as high.
I agree with stay off the ladder. Limbs never go where you think they will. Ladders and saws don't play together good.

Thanks again for all the replies. Today, I bought the Stihl HT 131, telescoping pole saw. I tried it briefly this evening and found out a few things. It will work you pretty good, that is for sure. It started easily and ran real smooth. It sure cut right through the limbs like butter. I was cutting green elm and the limbs ranged from 2 inches to about 10 inches thick and I had no problems with any of them and some were over 12 feet high. The only problem was that in 30 minutes, I cut enough limbs to create more than a half day's work with a regular chain saw to cut the limbs up and haul them to a ditch and pile them. So, I found out that a pole saw just creates a whole lot more work---LOL. Thanks again.

I have an echo it had a shoulder harness but was of very little use. I have thought about a padded support on the end of the saw that I would saddle around my waist to help support the saw. As the waist would support the end of the saw and I could left the rest of the saw a littler easier.

I have the Stihl attachment that goes on the end of my Stihl weed whacker. It'll cut through 6 inch limbs with no problem. Oak, pecan and mesquite is all I used it on. Some light cedar now that I think about it. It would probably cut bigger limbs but I have never tried. I keep the chain sharp.

Stihl is about all I will buy. I can't afford to replace things over and over. This weed whacker is about 20 years old and just won't die. I used to swap the head back and forth but now just leave the pole saw attachment on this one full time.

Latest posts