gas in your diesel

Help Support CattleToday:

Txwalt

Reaction score
You just pumped 5 gallons of gas into your diesel truck. The tank was 3/8 full when you pulled into the gas station. What do you do? I've heard so many different things about this. I was interested in ya'lls thoughts.

Walt

Depends what has happened since then. Regardless, I'd take a garden hose and ciphen out the contents and use it on a brushfire. If the truck was ran and is acting the slightest bit weird I'd change all the filters, drain the water seperator and make an attempt to blow out the lines.

A lot depends on the truck, too. I'd make more attempt to get it all out if it were a 2009 truck than if it were 10 or 20 years old, like most of mine. Either way, I wouldn't get very excited over it, diesels can take a lot more crap than people think.

If it is still running OK top it up with gas asap, and keep doing that as the level goes down, as long as you have more gas than diesel you might be OK.

If you are truly worried, do as Cf said and change the filter.

hillsdown":20luwbog said:
If it is still running OK top it up with gas asap, and keep doing that as the level goes down, as long as you have more gas than diesel you might be OK.

Rather then adding more gas I would think adding more diesel might be a better solution

hillsdown":3sgocjvc said:

Adding more gas to a diesel engine would not be good. We all knew what you meant though. :nod: ;-)

Txwalt":2wz6k04g said:
You just pumped 5 gallons of gas into your diesel truck. The tank was 3/8 full when you pulled into the gas station. What do you do? I've heard so many different things about this. I was interested in ya'lls thoughts.

Walt

As long as you have not started the truck you siphon it all out and use it for fire starter.

If you are at the service station you can just throw it down the diesel tank in the ground - there is enough volume there to not be a bother.

Fill it with diesel and go.

If you have started the truck you need to go through and clean it all out - filters and lines and such - and then put in new diesel. That diesel lubes a lot of moving parts.

Either way it is far more common than you might think.

Other than a real annoying thing, it is not a world class disaster.

Hope you managed to keep the blood pressure under control. :D

Regards

Bez+

dun":3ki8dnpy said:
hillsdown":3ki8dnpy said:
Rather then adding more gas I would think adding more diesel might be a better solution

Sorry my huge mistake..I hope you all proof read what I type from now on.. ;-)

Yes ,that is what I meant, serves me right for trying to multitask. I better make sure I sent $3000.00 to the visa bill and not the phone bill ... :oops: :help:

I would add a quart of motor oil to it as well, that will give you the lubrication you need until the gas is gone.

KenB":24l3e368 said:
I would add a quart of motor oil to it as well, that will give you the lubrication you need until the gas is gone.

I had forgotten that part Ken, great idea works really well..
Thanks for the reminder..
I

I wouldn't start the engine. I'd tow it home or to a shop to have the tank drained. Myself, I'd take it to a mechanic I trust and go with his advise.

If 5 gal was all I had added would put a quart or so of transmission fluid in the tank and go about my business. In the winter if it get zero and stays for a few day we add gas to keep the fuel from jelling has not hurt any thing yet summer it will produce too much heat and score the seat in the injectors. The cummin engine we kept transmission flouid around by the barrels to add to the fuel. When they started checking fuel for coloring DOT pulled two trucks over for running red fuel it was transmission flouid coloring in the fuel. They suggested we stop doing this. We dumped all our used oil in the old pit trucks let them idle they would build up in the exaust and catch on fire.

hillsdown":3ar1ldfa said:
dun":3ar1ldfa said:
hillsdown":3ar1ldfa said:

Sorry my huge mistake..I hope you all proof read what I type from now on.. ;-)

Yes ,that is what I meant, serves me right for trying to multitask. I better make sure I sent $3000.00 to the visa bill and not the phone bill ... :oops: :help:
I just couldn;t resist poking a stick in it

hillrancher":3dphuf13 said:
If 5 gal was all I had added would put a quart or so of transmission fluid in the tank and go about my business. In the winter if it get zero and stays for a few day we add gas to keep the fuel from jelling has not hurt any thing yet summer it will produce too much heat and score the seat in the injectors. The cummin engine we kept transmission flouid around by the barrels to add to the fuel. When they started checking fuel for coloring DOT pulled two trucks over for running red fuel it was transmission flouid coloring in the fuel. They suggested we stop doing this. We dumped all our used oil in the old pit trucks let them idle they would build up in the exaust and catch on fire.

After I put the gas in I filled the rest of the tank with diesel. Called a buddy who called a buddy that is a diesel mechanic. The mechanic said to put a quart of transmission fluid in the tank and thats what I did. This happened last Friday and the truck is a 2000 f-250. Nothing noticeable is wrong so far. I've been topping it off pretty regualr ever since Friday. Hopefully I havn't damaged the engine. Thanks for all the posts. When I did a search on the net I couldn't find anything that said to put transmission fluid in the tank. I was worried to say the least.

Walt

Txwalt":ubdg7usi said:
hillrancher":ubdg7usi said:

After I put the gas in I filled the rest of the tank with diesel. Called a buddy who called a buddy that is a diesel mechanic. The mechanic said to put a quart of transmission fluid in the tank and thats what I did. This happened last Friday and the truck is a 2000 f-250. Nothing noticeable is wrong so far. I've been topping it off pretty regualr ever since Friday. Hopefully I havn't damaged the engine. Thanks for all the posts. When I did a search on the net I couldn't find anything that said to put transmission fluid in the tank. I was worried to say the least.

Considering the fact that you have been driving the truck this long without catastrophic failure tells me you are probably out of the woods and shouldnt worry about it anymore.
Walt

About six weeks ago Kathy and I went to Tractor Supply. On the way I stopped at the BP station for fuel. When I opened the fuel door a Yellow Jacket bit my thumb. I got pisssssss? and grabbed the gas nozzle and filled my truck. Twenty six gal of gas. I did not know what I had done. We drove about one mile and the motor stopped. We were towed to the nearest Diesel repair shop where they changed the fuel filter, pumped the tank and added five gallons of diesel, and charged me $120.00 plus towing. I got about one mile from his shop and the truck stopped again. I called the repair shop and they sent the repair truck to get me going and told me to stop at the first station and fill up with diesel, and I did. The tank only held twelve gallons more diesel which means that the mechanic left ninteen gallons of contaminated fuel in the tank after he pumped it. T he mechanic said not to worry, just keep filling it up when you drive it and it will all burn out and be fine. I drove home and it ran very rough. Two weeks later we went to town and it ran very rough then stopped. I called the mechanic and he came over and shot either through the air cleaner but it would just run rough and stop. Had it towed back to the shop and he called me two days later and said he had to replace the lift pump, fuel pump, injuction pump, fuel filter and purge the system. The bill was $2885.64. And to ice the cake, while my truck was being repaired some one stole my factory running boards. Some days a fella just cant win, much less break even.
Tom.

Tom the new diesels especially Dodge already have a problem with the injectors, even if you run less than par fuel causes them to go. Hubby had to have 6 replaced last year and they said it was because of crappy fuel..

When it rains it pours Tom , my whole year has been this way.

It is like I have a black cloud over me lately.. :?

kerley":3ddeefrv said:
About six weeks ago Kathy and I went to Tractor Supply. On the way I stopped at the BP station for fuel. When I opened the fuel door a Yellow Jacket bit my thumb. I got be nice? and grabbed the gas nozzle and filled my truck. Twenty six gal of gas. I did not know what I had done. We drove about one mile and the motor stopped. We were towed to the nearest Diesel repair shop where they changed the fuel filter, pumped the tank and added five gallons of diesel, and charged me $120.00 plus towing. I got about one mile from his shop and the truck stopped again. I called the repair shop and they sent the repair truck to get me going and told me to stop at the first station and fill up with diesel, and I did. The tank only held twelve gallons more diesel which means that the mechanic left ninteen gallons of contaminated fuel in the tank after he pumped it. T he mechanic said not to worry, just keep filling it up when you drive it and it will all burn out and be fine. I drove home and it ran very rough. Two weeks later we went to town and it ran very rough then stopped. I called the mechanic and he came over and shot either through the air cleaner but it would just run rough and stop. Had it towed back to the shop and he called me two days later and said he had to replace the lift pump, fuel pump, injuction pump, fuel filter and purge the system. The bill was $2885.64. And to ice the cake, while my truck was being repaired some one stole my factory running boards. Some days a fella just cant win, much less break even.
Tom.
Don't know that I'd be to happy with the repair shop. If they had cleaned the fuel system completely their is a good chance the fuel and injection pumps would have been ok. I think they should bear a good bit of the cost if not all of it.

It's not nessecarly the first screw up that bites you in the butt, it is repeating it.

1982vett":tiysjqk4 said:
Don't know that I'd be to happy with the repair shop. If they had cleaned the fuel system completely their is a good chance the fuel and injection pumps would have been ok. I think they should bear a good bit of the cost if not all of it.

It's not nessecarly the first screw up that bites you in the butt, it is repeating it.

I'd have to agree with you 100%. But getting them to admit that and do the right thing is another story. If you want something done right, you've pretty much got to do it yourself these days. I've already gotten two notices that my 97 F350 is due for the cam position sensor recall but I'll be damned if I'm letting anyone else touch that truck, I've had it for 12 years and haven't even put a set of batteries in it yet. Told the service manager I'd gladly take the cps and put it in myself when needed but he wouldn't bite.

1982vette, I kind of feel like they should have done the second tow and fuel for free. I have to admit that my truck runs much better now, matter of fact it flat out Boogies. I am more upset about the theft of the running board. It is difficult to get into a 4x4 diesel when a fella is crippled up like me.
Tom.

Well the first poster did the right thing by adding a quart of atf and filling that tank to the brim with diesel, then just keep topping it off to get it back to pure diesel fuel.

The other guy got screwed over big time! That tank should have been emptied and flushed out with clean diesel as soon as it got to the shop. Fresh filters filled with atf should have been put in and either should have never been shot into that powerstroke, lucky it didn't blow the heads off the motor! That makes me mad thinking that could have all been resolved without waisting all that time and money. Damn shop!

Latest posts