gas in your diesel

Help Support CattleToday:

So far some decent advice, although the whole "quart of ATF" thing has me cringing. I wouldn't add anymore than a cupful (actually, if it were me, I wouldn't add ANYTHING). I spose thats fine for the slobbery older diesels, like the pre-common rail Cummins and the 7.3 Ford, but for common rail trucks, running extremely high injection pressures, adding a heavy viscosity oil like ATF is just asking for injector damage. If a mechanic tells you to add ATF to a modern diesel, find a new mechanic.

Rod

This guy doesn't have a common rail Duramax or Cummin's, he has a old 444 Powerstroke, the HPOP will eat atf like candy. You do know what a HPOP is don't you? 1 quart of atf in a 35+ gallon tank = near nothing, but WILL help. The best thing he could have added is 2 cycle oil, that does good things for older diesels, newer ones to. Do the math and research, there is a lot of info on fuel additives and such these days, the facts are out there.

For the record motor oil in diesel fuel is a bad thing, oil is not made to burn and has a very high flash point, it will gum your injectors and hurt you in the long run, think about it...

SMiller":2isbneig said:
Do the math and research, there is a lot of info on fuel additives and such these days, the facts are out there.

I don't require the internet to tell me what is good and bad for an engine, but rather rely on years of personal experience. Have you ever seen extrude honing paste that aftermarket companies use to hone out injectors? Its only a little heavier than ATF or two cycle oil. You want to extrude hone your injectors, have at it. Its especially bad if you only drive your truck occasionally, as ATF and 2-stroke oil WILL settle out.

And have you actually read some of the research on adding ATF and two stroke oil? Thus far, I've read ONE scientific study that compared 15 or 16 different products, and it was full of holes and errors in their methodology. The other studies I've seen don't even remotely try to use any kind of scientific method. They amount to "Well Jim Bob, we done did toss that there ATF into thuh tank, and the truck SHORE do run quieter now, yup, uh huh."

Stick to buying diesel from a reputable source and additives of any sort are simply a waste of money.

Rod

kerley":6rqd1efc said:
About six weeks ago Kathy and I went to Tractor Supply. On the way I stopped at the BP station for fuel. When I opened the fuel door a Yellow Jacket bit my thumb. I got be nice? and grabbed the gas nozzle and filled my truck. Twenty six gal of gas. I did not know what I had done. We drove about one mile and the motor stopped. We were towed to the nearest Diesel repair shop where they changed the fuel filter, pumped the tank and added five gallons of diesel, and charged me $120.00 plus towing. I got about one mile from his shop and the truck stopped again. I called the repair shop and they sent the repair truck to get me going and told me to stop at the first station and fill up with diesel, and I did. The tank only held twelve gallons more diesel which means that the mechanic left ninteen gallons of contaminated fuel in the tank after he pumped it. T he mechanic said not to worry, just keep filling it up when you drive it and it will all burn out and be fine. I drove home and it ran very rough. Two weeks later we went to town and it ran very rough then stopped. I called the mechanic and he came over and shot either through the air cleaner but it would just run rough and stop. Had it towed back to the shop and he called me two days later and said he had to replace the lift pump, fuel pump, injuction pump, fuel filter and purge the system. The bill was $2885.64. And to ice the cake, while my truck was being repaired some one stole my factory running boards. Some days a fella just cant win, much less break even.
Tom.
it aint hard too do at a BP , they kept us busy there for a few months,,

Don't know how it works "everytime" but I did the same thing a few months back and nothing happened at all until all the diesel was burned up and then IT DIED.....without a spark to burn the gas it just died...dropped the tank, removed all the gasoline....refilled it with diesel and it is running great.

I've heard so many horror stories on running gasoline contaminated desel in tractors, that this is one thing I am SUPER careful about with my Durimax. ;-)

ToddFarmsInc":oafwackm said:
I've heard so many horror stories on running gasoline contaminated desel in tractors, that this is one thing I am SUPER careful about with my Durimax. ;-)

Todds, I put gas in my Duramax..'01 model....ran 8 miles and died...out of diesel. :lol2:

Latest posts