Gas and Diesel prices in Sulphur Springs Texas.

Help Support CattleToday:

I bought in Delta county in 2016 for $1900/ac with highway frontage. You can't find anything for under $5000-$7000 today. So yes, you can still turn a profit, barely, if you bought 6 or more years ago, but the real money is in the appreciation. I just keep the cows for fun, the ag exemption, and the tax write off.

High rates and drought should force some of the prices down, but not by much. Since covid, a lot of people have relocated away from the DFW metroplex into little towns like Commerce and telecommute to work. It's next to impossible to buy a house in DFW for under 400K?

@Lucky we may be neighbors.
I've given the following for land 2008 $1,100, 2012 $1,800, 2017 $2,000, and 2021 $2,750. All places were over 60 acres and connect to me. We didn't use a realtor on any of these deals so that helped with the price. I'd guess I could get a minimum of $4,000 an acre today. People always laugh when I tell them I don't count land cost in when running cattle but to me it's a seperate investment and one that has done well for us.

We are in Red River County so probably 45 miles from Delta county.

Oh yes gas is around $2.35- $2.65 here. The wife said she paid my fuel bill yesterday and it was over $6,000 since June. Inflation I guess.....

I've given the following for land 2008 $1,100, 2012 $1,800, 2017 $2,000, and 2021 $2,750. All places were over 60 acres and connect to me. We didn't use a realtor on any of these deals so that helped with the price. I'd guess I could get a minimum of $4,000 an acre today. People always laugh when I tell them I don't count land cost in when running cattle but to me it's a seperate investment and one that has done well for us.

We are in Red River County so probably 45 miles from Delta county.

Oh yes gas is around $2.35- $2.65 here. The wife said she paid my fuel bill yesterday and it was over $6,000 since June. Inflation I guess.....
It makes sense to treat the cost of cattle separate the cost of land.

People on here referred to me as "money bags" when I bought my place. It worked out to $705 an acre and included a 1,800 sq foot house, shop/machine shed, barn, corral, 67 acres of irrigated meadow, 1,100+ acres of deeded range land, and 2 out the gate BLM allotments that will run about 70 cows for the summer.

You sell and that is your profit. Only way to get land, it seems, is by inheriting in most areas. Sad days for agriculture down here
And then you get spanked with estate taxes. Even around here, a lot of generations where land has been passed down, the kids end up selling it - and not because they want to.

And then you get spanked with estate taxes. Even around here, a lot of generations where land has been passed down, the kids end up selling it - and not because they want to.
Tennessee has no estate tax. And the federal estate tax exemption is now $12 million per individual or over $24 million per couple. The exemption goes up close to $13 million next month.

Tennessee has no estate tax. And the federal estate tax exemption is now $12 million per individual or over $24 million per couple. The exemption goes up close to $13 million next month.
We have some commercial lots, residential lots, and farm land, none for sale, people keep asking about buying some, I tell them I have nothing for sale except cattle:). They always want to know why, my answer is "estate tax is cheaper than capital gains". And I sure as hell don't max out over 12 mil, or 13, if I make it 12 more dayso_O

We have some commercial lots, residential lots, and farm land, none for sale, people keep asking about buying some, I tell them I have nothing for sale except cattle:). They always want to know why, my answer is "estate tax is cheaper than capital gains". And I sure as hell don't max out over 12 mil, or 13, if I make it 12 more dayso_O
I'm just across the mountain and can help you out with that.

Around here the asking prices run about $10,000 per cow carrying capacity. So $12 million would be a 1,200 cow ranch. I know of some of them around.

We are pushing 20-40K per pair easily.

Same here, if not higher. The price of land in my area has nothing to do with its agricultural value. I don't know of any specific sales lately, but I doubt if you could buy anything under 100 acres for less than $15,000 per acre.

It takes about three acres to carry a cow/calf pair, and that's with feeding hay. Without hay you're looking at seven acres.

Latest posts