Garlic for Fly Control

Help Support CattleToday:

BIZIN

Reaction score
Looked all over the internet and this forum for how much garlic to add to a 50lb bag of mineral for my cows. Found absolutely nothing on how much to use, found alot about how it works so great but no one says how much to give each cow. Has anyone used garlic powder for fly control and how much do you give per cow per day or mix in with a 50lb bag of mineral? I dont wanna hear about fly tags or blocks or anything like that, just wanna know how much garlic powder per cow per day.

I don't know how much for a cow , but Grandpa use to mix about a tablespoon full in the dog food for our coon dogs per dog. He thought it helped for ticks I can't say I was to impressed with the results. He also used sulfur mixed with bacon greese and had us taking garlic pills ,O the things them oldtimers would try.
sorry I can't help you more but if it works I sure would like to know about it cause I seem to have a real fly problem

BIZIN":362hb4xy said:
Looked all over the internet and this forum for how much garlic to add to a 50lb bag of mineral for my cows. Found absolutely nothing on how much to use, found alot about how it works so great but no one says how much to give each cow. Has anyone used garlic powder for fly control and how much do you give per cow per day or mix in with a 50lb bag of mineral? I dont wanna hear about fly tags or blocks or anything like that, just wanna know how much garlic powder per cow per day.
hmm in that case I'd say "just use all you want". All you're getting is some sulfur from the garlic which may or may not repel flies. What about Apple Cider Vinegar?? Good luck.

TexasBred":205ombmn said:
BIZIN":205ombmn said:
hmm in that case I'd say "just use all you want". All you're getting is some sulfur from the garlic which may or may not repel flies. What about Apple Cider Vinegar?? Good luck.
Texas, let that vinegar thing go. ;-) People told me vinegar would kill nail fungus. Didn't work for me. I finally got on Lamisil. After 50 days of an 84 day regiment, I had to quit. It was killing me. I could hardly move. I am not kidding. If you don't believe me, here is my brother, Rob.

"This is Rob, Ron is telling the truth on this. It almost killed him."
Thanks for witnessing to the veracity of my statement, Rob.
"Anything for you my fine brother."
See, I told you. :nod:

How are you going to be sure that each cow eats the recommended amount? I don't know if it works, but you won't have to worry about vampires.

chippie":7fiwmhxf said:
How are you going to be sure that each cow eats the recommended amount? I don't know if it works, but you won't have to worry about vampires.
That is a good one, chippie. You seem so serious. Glad to see you fooling around. Thanks for a laugh this morning.

I have been giving my dogs little pills of yeast with garlic for years...the pills do help with their hair coat....sleek and shiny but if the garlic is having any effect on fleas and ticks I would hate to see what they would be like without it....

ticks here are attrocious this year....I put seven dust on the dogs weekly and they are still covered in ticks and I have had scads on me this year...three or four every day....and most days I use a deet spray....especially if I know I am going to be in brush or weeds.

the idea that blood sucking bugs don't like garlic is humerous to me....

chippie":isgpin5x said:

Take the guesswork out of it. Put an asphidity bag on a string and tie it around the neck of each cow. Flies won't come close. :lol2:

If they're horned cattle, just hang a plastic ziplock bag of water off each horn. Repels flies and mosquitos. For extra strength, add a few pennies to each bag of water. For the ultimate fly and bug repellant, use the bag, water, pennies and swing a dead cat around your head 3 times at midnight outside a cemetery while snorting powdered garlic.
(don't! snort garlic powder!!)

For every one that says this type thing works, there us at least one who says it does not.
http://mythbustersresults.com/bug-special

pdfangus":3f1ubrbt said:
does it need to be a black cat or will any cat do?
I think you can substitute a chicken for the cat but it has to be a Dominicker rooster

Seriously, folks the bugs have been "wicked" here this year, am hoping they die down a bit,have been turning the milk cow out at 4:00 AM so she can eat without going crazy. She has the thinner hide than beef cows and they have been driving her nuts.
Its cool enough at 4:00 AM they aren't as bad as when it warms up during the day.
Was looking at some of the mosquito /black fly /horsefly/ etc traps on the internet, not sure how well they work, or how they work but they say they can reduce the over all numbers so livestock can function without going crazy.
There is supposed to be something called the NZI trap that is supposed to catch piles of flies, but don't know much about it. there is also supposed to be a horsefly trap put out by farnam.
Anyone use one of these things and if so, how well do they work??
would really like to know..

Friends who own horses have made their own horse fly traps. They copied the Horse Pal http://www.bitingflies.com/

cmpltd.jpg

This page http://ipm.ncsu.edu/current_ipm/99PestNews/99News5/poultry.html has directions for making one like this.

tbntrap1.png

It worked very well for the large black horse flies. Smaller biting flies were not interested in it.

I have used fly predators in the barn with good results. I have to be careful about fly bait and pesticides since I sell eggs.
This type of fly bait ususally does not work well with biting flies, although it sure knocks the stuffing out of house flies.

Do not place QuickBayt® Fly Bait in areas accessible to animals, children and pets.

I had recently read about QuickBayt® Fly Bait. I saw it at the feed store and bought some. I too have to be careful with pets and such so I used some containers we all wash out to save for left overs leaving the house. I put one inside the other with sides cut open and the top one for rain dispersal. I used a tie wire to connect them and hang it with. I didn't want to wait to send away for the neat device they sell to put it in. Anyway I have seen some dead flys in it and hopefully will see a reduction soon. I am on day two! Our wonderful county has started the federal mandate that you have to recycle so we have a huge container for recyclables and now they only pick up trash one day a week. Unintended consequences, yup maggots which make flys! I have called all over the place and no one wants to admit we do need the twice a week pickup. So if this is happening all over the country with the federal mandates, we all will have loads of flys. :bang:

Never heard of a federal recycling mandate. I have never lived anywhere that trash pickup was twice a week. Sounds expensive.

I have used the fly bates before and they worked wonderful. Smelled terrible though.

Not sure if it will work, but try putting some rubbing alcohol or bleach in the fly bate container and see if that kills the maggots. I don't think you will have a problem though because if the fly bate is still good and its supposed to last a few weeks, then as soon as they become flies they will die. I'm not sure why its not killing them as maggots.

I have seen other links on how to make a biting fly trap, but most of them are rather vague on the pattern. Maybe because of patented fly traps out there, just a guess. The one thing I couldn't figure was what the black ball was supposed to do hanging from underneath..
football for flies? (LOL)
Anyone ever actually attempted to make one of these "critters"? or found a better diagram for making one?

The fly traps with the ball are for horse flies. The fly thinks the ball is an animal & it will fly up into the trap. They work well if horse flies are a problem. I have a friend in OK who has several

Fly baits work but be sure you don't have it anywhere around other animals. When I was young, my dog took one lap of some yellow fly bait my dad had in the hog barn and the dog convulsed and was dead in 30 seconds.

Latest posts