Garlic for Fly Control

Help Support CattleToday:

I know this is old thread and lots of guys don't agree but we mix mineral with our salt for fly control and it helps have a friend that mixes it with feed he hand feeds daily and my father has reported that his cows don't have any flies. I believe it works if the rate is heavy enough we were doing like 2 lbs per 50lbs of salt but don't think that's enough.

Angus Rocks":34klayy0 said:
I know this is old thread and lots of guys don't agree but we mix mineral with our salt for fly control and it helps have a friend that mixes it with feed he hand feeds daily and my father has reported that his cows don't have any flies. I believe it works if the rate is heavy enough we were doing like 2 lbs per 50lbs of salt but don't think that's enough.
MIneral??? Cattle mineral??? Won't effect flies unless it has IGR in it.

We use diatomaceous earth in all our feed and mineral for fly control. Have had issues with garlic and the off flavor in milk. I think it was about 2 gr per head per day for the garlic but that was years ago so I am not sure. Garlic oil in a fly rub will work and there is a company in england that incorporates it into a tub like crystalyx I think. We use about 80 lbs per ton of feed (2-4%) and about 2% in the mineral mix. I have seen an improvement in fly control with the DE in the feed and mineral. Our feed is pelleted so they don't have a problem eating it in the feed, but it is very dusty so use less in the mineral. There is a company in PA that Jerry Brunetti founded that might be able to help but I don't know the name offhand. Try looking in ACRES USA or Stockman Grass Farmer.

farmerjan":6m65vfx7 said:
We use diatomaceous earth in all our feed and mineral for fly control. Have had issues with garlic and the off flavor in milk. I think it was about 2 gr per head per day for the garlic but that was years ago so I am not sure. Garlic oil in a fly rub will work and there is a company in england that incorporates it into a tub like crystalyx I think. We use about 80 lbs per ton of feed (2-4%) and about 2% in the mineral mix. I have seen an improvement in fly control with the DE in the feed and mineral. Our feed is pelleted so they don't have a problem eating it in the feed, but it is very dusty so use less in the mineral. There is a company in PA that Jerry Brunetti founded that might be able to help but I don't know the name offhand. Try looking in ACRES USA or Stockman Grass Farmer.
How does DE in the feed affect flies?? DE is a contact killer primarily for insects with exoskeletons. Some folks things it might help with internal parasites but very little research to back it up.

When the DE is passed through the cow into the manure, and the flies lay their eggs in it, alot of the eggs hatch and the larvae die from the contact from the DE. Or so I have read and been told. And since we don't see the number of flies that we used to I have to assume ( yep maybe make an a$$ out of u and me) that it is working. We don't have the parasite/worm problems we used to have and it seems to work "wonders" on any animals that we buy....So we can't say that our cows have built up a resistance because we see the more dramatic results with the bought cattle. Yes they look better since they are getting mineral and usually a little feed so that is some of it. But we usually do not worm them right away because we don't want them to pass a slug of worms all at once and maybe cause havoc with their systems. I will dust a little on the animals as they go through the chute when we get them to check mouths and "age them", for possible lice.
To me it is cheap insurance in a ton of feed or mineral. I guess it is all in what you "think" is working. I do use it in the chickens "dusting box" along with some lime and wood ashes and dry dirt, don't have much problem with lice or mites on them, but occasionally we do. It is mixed in the chicken feed I get from the feed mill by the ton also. I can't guarantee that it is the DE, but it seems to help and I will take any "side benefits" that I see for the reduction of flies as a plus. Maybe I am just imagining it....

I soak a dead calico cat in a solution of 2 gallons apple cider vinegar, 6 ounces DE, and 1 lb of pumpkin seeds, then after 2 days, I swing said cat around my head as I walk around midnight, right outside the area where I have buried some calves over the years. (the old lady that told me to do this said 'graveyard"..didn't specify what kind of graveyard) It deworms everything and kills every last the fly on my property all in one operation. If it's a really bad year, she said to add a little bit of Brown Mule chewin tobacco spittle to the magic soakin elixir (now that part she did specify on--gotta be Brown Mule). There's some words I must utter as I walk along with that deceased feline helicoptering along over my head, but I don't dare mention them here--far too powerful to put into text.
Dead cats are free around here--some days, you can't drive down the road swinging a dead cat without seeing one.

farmerjan":184a1oqb said:
When the DE is passed through the cow into the manure, and the flies lay their eggs in it, alot of the eggs hatch and the larvae die from the contact from the DE. Or so I have read and been told. And since we don't see the number of flies that we used to I have to assume ( yep maybe make an a$$ out of u and me) that it is working. We don't have the parasite/worm problems we used to have and it seems to work "wonders" on any animals that we buy....So we can't say that our cows have built up a resistance because we see the more dramatic results with the bought cattle. Yes they look better since they are getting mineral and usually a little feed so that is some of it. But we usually do not worm them right away because we don't want them to pass a slug of worms all at once and maybe cause havoc with their systems. I will dust a little on the animals as they go through the chute when we get them to check mouths and "age them", for possible lice.
To me it is cheap insurance in a ton of feed or mineral. I guess it is all in what you "think" is working. I do use it in the chickens "dusting box" along with some lime and wood ashes and dry dirt, don't have much problem with lice or mites on them, but occasionally we do. It is mixed in the chicken feed I get from the feed mill by the ton also. I can't guarantee that it is the DE, but it seems to help and I will take any "side benefits" that I see for the reduction of flies as a plus. Maybe I am just imagining it....
As long as you "think" it works then by all means use it. But there is no real evidence to back up this claim and not even DE distributors will make the claim. It will kill mature flies if they get enough of it on them but am just wondering how much you'd have to mix in a ton of feed to insure that every cow pile had enough in it to kill flies considering that cows are "shytting machines". You're trying to spread a miniscule amount over25-30 lbs. of manure every day.

greybeard":5edmvlgm said:
I soak a dead calico cat in a solution of 2 gallons apple cider vinegar, 6 ounces DE, and 1 lb of pumpkin seeds, then after 2 days, I swing said cat around my head as I walk around midnight, right outside the area where I have buried some calves over the years. (the old lady that told me to do this said 'graveyard"..didn't specify what kind of graveyard) It deworms everything and kills every last the fly on my property all in one operation. If it's a really bad year, she said to add a little bit of Brown Mule chewin tobacco spittle to the magic soakin elixir (now that part she did specify on--gotta be Brown Mule). There's some words I must utter as I walk along with that deceased feline helicoptering along over my head, but I don't dare mention them here--far too powerful to put into text.
Dead cats are free around here--some days, you can't drive down the road swinging a dead cat without seeing one.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TexasBred":668cqybn said:
Angus Rocks":668cqybn said:
MIneral??? Cattle mineral??? Won't effect flies unless it has IGR in it.

Sorry my bad didn't get my text right I should have put garlic where mineral is! We have 24.5 truck tires with a poly bottom with rubber covers over the top and half of tires is filled with mineral and other half is filled with salt that we mix the garlic with!

If it don't work why is several of the mineral companies mixing garlic and cinnamon in one of their minerals? Just because people believe in their advertising and recommendations?

Different companies add lots of different things to their min mixes to make it more palatable--make it 'taste better' to the animal. Some specify what is in it--some do not.
VitaFerm's Cattleman's Blend label:
INGREDIENTS
Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Corn
Gluten Feed, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate,
Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Magnesium Oxide,
Wheat Middlings, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Product, Mineral Oil, Yeast
Culture, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Natural and Artificial Flavor,
Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement.

Different sources of these scents and not for fly control. Garlic oil is usually used. Google it. Same for a product called Cinnegar (sp could be wrong) used by some companies. Even scented essential oils are being added to higher quality feeds and minerals.

inyati13":k8qq5zpi said:
TexasBred":k8qq5zpi said:
BIZIN":k8qq5zpi said:
Looked all over the internet and this forum for how much garlic to add to a 50lb bag of mineral for my cows. Found absolutely nothing on how much to use, found alot about how it works so great but no one says how much to give each cow. Has anyone used garlic powder for fly control and how much do you give per cow per day or mix in with a 50lb bag of mineral? I dont wanna hear about fly tags or blocks or anything like that, just wanna know how much garlic powder per cow per day.
hmm in that case I'd say "just use all you want". All you're getting is some sulfur from the garlic which may or may not repel flies. What about Apple Cider Vinegar?? Good luck.
Texas, let that vinegar thing go. ;-) People told me vinegar would kill nail fungus. Didn't work for me. I finally got on Lamisil. After 50 days of an 84 day regiment, I had to quit. It was killing me. I could hardly move. I am not kidding. If you don't believe me, here is my brother, Rob.

"This is Rob, Ron is telling the truth on this. It almost killed him."
Thanks for witnessing to the veracity of my statement, Rob.
"Anything for you my fine brother."
See, I told you. :nod:

What just about killed you? The ACV or Lamisil?