Gardiner upcoming sale thoughts

Help Support CattleToday:

hornedfrogbbq

Reaction score
One of the better known names is having its sale soon. I've been through the catalog and I'd love to get any thoughts you have on their herd. Some thoughts:

-- They have a unique way of advertising and how they calculate their exclusive profit and value stats.

-- They have some seriously large CED numbers. Does this mean they have worked to have low birth weights or focused on hip diameter?

-- They focus very much on grade of their end product and focus on capturing premiums after slaughter. Is this a priority to anyone or would you prefer to focus on the value created at wean? Obviously we all want to have good animals on the rail...just trying to find out what folks feel about this.

Are there other things i should consider from them? Their warranty seems good and fair and they certainly have been around awhile.

thanks!

hornedfrogbbq":1kkydla4 said:
One of the better known names is having its sale soon. I've been through the catalog and I'd love to get any thoughts you have on their herd. Some thoughts:

-- They have a unique way of advertising and how they calculate their exclusive profit and value stats.

-- They have some seriously large CED numbers. Does this mean they have worked to have low birth weights or focused on hip diameter?

-- They focus very much on grade of their end product and focus on capturing premiums after slaughter. Is this a priority to anyone or would you prefer to focus on the value created at wean? Obviously we all want to have good animals on the rail...just trying to find out what folks feel about this.

Are there other things i should consider from them? Their warranty seems good and fair and they certainly have been around awhile.

thanks!

What is bolded, for us... we take them directly to slaughter and the grade/premiums is how we profit in this cattle market. But I feel everything mentioned is important. I really do believe that more people are moving towards the end product because even if they sell at weaning, the cattle they're raising and selling as feeders are going to bring back repeat buyers.

Glanced at the catalog, specifically pictures. The quest for carcass has evolved into semi-Wagyu types with sway backs and sagging bellies. Not sure I need feedlot genetics to try and fail in the pasture environment. I'll not bid so that you can buy them cheaper.

Son of Butch":1hujqt3t said:
Didn't they have a large portion of their herd "BBQ-d"?
Did it effect the depth or quality available in their sale offerings?

Sadly, they did lose alot of cattle but i'm unsure the number. They mention it again in their catalog.

Ebenezer":1o1cvdgq said:
Glanced at the catalog, specifically pictures. The quest for carcass has evolved into semi-Wagyu types with sway backs and sagging bellies. Not sure I need feedlot genetics to try and fail in the pasture environment. I'll not bid so that you can buy them cheaper.

I like soggy bellies but you're correct on the sway backs. I know there are a lot of head they're selling but they sure didn't offer up many pictures.

NEFarmwife":3l37z7pw said:
Ebenezer":3l37z7pw said:

I like soggy bellies but you're correct on the sway backs. I know there are a lot of head they're selling but they sure didn't offer up many pictures.
Must be a better market for tripe there than here! :lol:

I agree with the statements that have been made and will add make sure you look at their feet and legs good for structural soundness. I will leave it at that.