gardening suggestions?

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
My soon to be 5 year old loves to grow things in a garden. I usually plant spring and fall gardens, but while I was sick I couldn't really do anything, but now that I'm getting better he's asking me to plant a garden for him. I have a nice section behind my workshop that's about 30' by 20' that a buddy of mine will till and row for me. My problem is that it's July in Louisiana- not exactly mild by any means. Anyone have any suggestions what to plant that might work out now. I bought the normal carrots, broccoli, radishes - fall garden things. I'm to the point to just plant something and water it hard even if it doesn't make just to make my boy happy. Anyone have any ideas???

It's not too late to plant peas or okra. Squash will grow too, but they'll get borers in them at this late date.

ga. prime":309ngs1p said:
It's not too late to plant peas or okra. Squash will grow too, but they'll get borers in them at this late date.

These would be mine picks too. You can also wait a couple of weeks and plant green beans too. And if you can get your hands on some tomato plants you can set these out at the end of this month. Never done it myself but a friend of mine raises them commercially and this is his schedule.

cypressfarms":1caigvlk said:
Anyone have any ideas???

See if you can find some Early Girl tomatoes, or maybe some cherry tomatoes. Your growing season is long enough that you should be able to read the maturation date and decide what you can reasonable plant. Good luck! :)

Look in the almanac and you'll find many things that you can make a fall garden with. As has been mentioned, peas, okra, tomato, etc.

Good luck!

Lettuce, chard, etc. will grow well into the fall too. You could also visit a greenhouse/nursery and buy some good sized tomato or pepper plants, that way you will be able to get a few fruits this year, especially if you have a long season. Have fun and good luck.

You might try some Broccoli. The bonus is if the kids grow it themselves they are more likely to eat it.

BROC, CABBAGE, CAUIFLAUR? GREENS, ONIONS. TURNIPS. ALL VERY EASY TO grow and good to eat. and do well in the fall/winter. :cowboy:

Latest posts