garden

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
well the majority of the garden has been planted.still have the taters to plant,but its still pretty wet.i think we planted 16 mater plants along with other veggies.the only 2 things ill eat is taters an melons.so i hope they both make good.

We have most everything in and most is coming up. Saw yesterday where the potatoes had even broke the surface. Just need to get the tomato plants in the ground and then we start the hard work.

well my taters are gonna have to play catch up when they are planted.trying a trick a guy told me to get some to sprout.he said put them in a brown paper bag close them up an put them in a dark closet for 3wks.then check them an cut the sprouts an plant them.

I was told to put them in plastic because cutting off the oxygen would cause them to go in distress mode, then sprout out of survival. Of course I've been told a lot of things that I have never tried.

ive got some in a plastic bag as well,but i dont have it sealed off.i know the eating taters you buy in the stores can sprout pretty quick.but that maybe due to them being in storage for along time.

We're pretty much all in here as well. I'm still waiting on potatoes that I bought to get here but the ones I held over have good growth already. we had a late frost but luckily most of what I had planted hadn't sprouted yet so it did fine. I did have to run water on my fruit trees to save the fruit as they were on the back-end of bloom when the frost hit... I forgot about my almonds so no almonds to eat this year. :bang:

Last year my potatoes were up when we had a freeze and they all turned brown. I went and bought more and planted them in between the existing plants and left those in the ground. They came out again and we ended up with a bumper crop of potatoes. I found out a little freeze only sets them back and doesn't kill them.

that's right enough... I planted all mine midwinter when I arrived on this farm and they all got frosted. They came up again.

I wouldn't ever put vegetables in a sealed plastic bag btw. Seen it too many times when I forget to take them out of the plastic bag after arriving home from the supermarket, they rot in about four or five days, longer if they've been put in the fridge.

Your potatoes don't have to be sprouted when you plant them. You can buy seed potatoes at the store and cut them up so two or three eyes are on each piece and plant them all in the same day. I've done it at least 40 times and it never fails to work.

Just started my tomato seeds and herb seeds today.
Weather is just gorgeous but with our history no sense in planting anything outside right now, it could still freeze up here.

Going to work my garden again and plant my onions and potatos.

Today is tomato planting day and my wife has bought some plants I've never heard of. Mortgage Lifter? WTH! Gotta admit that if they turn out like the picture and taste good, I'll be a happy boy.

ar125433696626306.jpg

Mortgage Lifters are very good tasting but they're one of those so called heirlooms that don't have disease resistance to anything. I've grown them before but didn't get many tomatoes because disease wiped them out. Good luck with them there, slick. If the Mortgage Lifters work for you another good heirloom you might want to try is Brandywine.

well we put the taters in the ground sun evening.ended up with 2.5 rows of them.still have about 2 rows of room left,so we may plant some peas.i hope they make good this fall.

ga.prime":2xn475j5 said:
Mortgage Lifters are very good tasting but they're one of those so called heirlooms that don't have disease resistance to anything. I've grown them before but didn't get many tomatoes because disease wiped them out. Good luck with them there, slick. If the Mortgage Lifters work for you another good heirloom you might want to try is Brandywine.

Thanks. I'm sure if they are not resistant we'll kill them quickly. :lol:

Heard of Brandywine but never tried them.

I have been paying for planting tomatoes last Sunday. The wife decided we'd put mulch in the bed and because my knees are crap I was lifting the sacks with my back. I made it through 10 of the 12 bags before my lower back gave out. Needless to say I've been riding the bed and recliner a lot this week. The good thing is the plants are healthy. Now I gotta make it down to the main garden and check on things there.

Got .80" rain the other day and it snowed last night. Nothing in the ground yet.
It was a gorgeous day yesterday too. Lots of people out planting things.

Latest posts