Garden Pests

Help Support CattleToday:

angie1

Reaction score
So today I am picking green beans, and notice something else has gotten to them first. :mad: I am wondering what kind of pests might be getting into the garden, and how to handle it. I cannot imagine using insecticide on plants in the garden (?). Have noticed damage to the leaves as well. What gets into your garden and how do you treat it?

I dont know what got in your garden but I dust my garden with ag lime. It seems to take care of all pests.

Could be any number of leaf suckers. Down here we have a little bit of every thing! Spyders and lady bugs are
pretty good garden keepers.

fallarmyworm.jpg

cabbagelooper2.jpg

diamondbackmoth3.jpg

spwhiteflyctn083.jpg

squash1.jpg

We have gadzillions of white flies again. I don't know where they all have came from, but for the last couple of years, we have evenings that look like it is snowing due to the white flies.

I think it would be impossible to kill them all.

I always have to dust my green beans with Sevin dust to kill the stinkbugs and beetles. If I don't they will tear them up.

Holy smokes! A whole assortment of potential beasties in my garden! :help: Was talking to a neighbor to the south to find out what he put on his and he was telling stories about green caterpillars "as big as your finger that had horns on 'em" :eek: . I am officially afraid to go into the garden without HAZMAT gear. My daughter and I eat as we pick, I wonder how many things I might have eaten without knowing they were burrowed in there....... :stop: Thanks for the suggestions ~ I will see what I can find. :tiphat:

angie":195eeb1g said:
So today I am picking green beans, and notice something else has gotten to them first. :mad: I am wondering what kind of pests might be getting into the garden, and how to handle it. I cannot imagine using insecticide on plants in the garden (?). Have noticed damage to the leaves as well. What gets into your garden and how do you treat it?

The usual assortment - aphids, tomato worms, Japanese beetles, etc. I tend to treat with a concoction made of soaking a Skoal Bandit or two soaked in warm water until the water turns a murky brown color, transferring it to a sprayer, and spraying the evil doers with it. Be advised that this concoction will kill any bug it touches, so be careful to not spray lady bugs, walking sticks, praying mantises, or any other beneficial bug. Another option is using insecticidal soap, I don't think it's quite as non-descriminatory as the concoction mentioned earlier. For slugs, wash out and fill a cat food/tuna can with a cheap beer and bury it so the lip is at ground level. In the morning you will have a can full of slugs, and can either empty and reuse, or dispose of it - whichever you prefer.

Angie, are they eating beans, leaves both?
Might be grass hoppers?
I think upnort we don't have worms the size of fingers. :shock: horns too! :help:
Was the friend your talking about on the otherside of the bars? maybe drying out? :cowboy:

mnmtranching":23o13yxi said:
Angie, are they eating beans, leaves both?
Might be grass hoppers?
I think upnort we don't have worms the size of fingers. :shock: horns too! :help:
Was the friend your talking about on the otherside of the bars? maybe drying out? :cowboy:
Looks like something burrowed in, tomatoes too some. Sure hope its not the mutant caterpillars, or they will for sure be getting a taste of the Skoal the msscamp suggested. :nod:

Friend on other side of bars? Nah, they don't grow the same crops I do ~ this was just one of those types that likes to spin stories then tease if I buy what he's selling. :dunce:

We have those mutant caterpillars here, no horns but as big as my little finger, and they will devastate your tomato plants.Pick several off daily.

grannysoo":fuypi3i4 said:
We have gadzillions of white flies again. I don't know where they all have came from, but for the last couple of years, we have evenings that look like it is snowing due to the white flies.

I think it would be impossible to kill them all.

They came from the poinsetta growers in Omega. Once the white flys put them out of business the flys put the sweet potatoe growers out and they have spread from there. Omega is known as the whitefly capital of the world.

For fall gardens, I fog insecticide with a mosquito fogger after the inversion. There is a new insecticide out that will rid your garden of them with one spraying. Its extremely expensive though but I can round up the name if you are interested.

Latest posts